in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Re: Have you made any plans for when you die

Postby Toby » 23 Nov 2018, 13:10

GoogaMooga wrote:
DRUGS SNAKE wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:
Conservative estimate 10,000, but many are rare (not all are from thrift...)

so after your day you expect your family to sell each and every one of them off, individually, to collectors?

Oh, I'd hope they keep them. But they don't listen much to music other than in the car. Accord would take them as a lot and only offer a fraction of their worth. Run of the mill stuff they can dump at Accord, but the rarities could fetch a lot more. Something for them to do when they retire. My brother is 50 soon.

The thing is, you might as well start selling it and enjoy the proceeds of your sales yourself rather than leave it to the administration of your siblings, who I'm sure won't be particularly enthused by it as they are not music lovers.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 23 Nov 2018, 13:18

Toby wrote:
The thing is, you might as well start selling it and enjoy the proceeds of your sales yourself rather than leave it to the administration of your siblings, who I'm sure won't be particularly enthused by it as they are not music lovers.

Thanks, but I couldn't possibly do that, the CDs are my children. Hard enough just to make a small cull for more space. It's true my brother and sister-in-law are not fans or collectors, but it would make for a nice pension supplement. And bearing in mind that the welfare states will probably collapse or at least be greatly reduced, it would also give their kids a little security.
1966 and all that

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 23 Nov 2018, 13:19

That is of course predicated on the fact that CDs will remain collectable when you die.

Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings
hounds people off the board
Location: selling a self-detonating James Last CD to a Copenhagen thrift store

Postby Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings » 23 Nov 2018, 13:20

Darkness_Fish wrote:This is a big fucking mess of absolute shit from the off.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 23 Nov 2018, 13:21

Toby wrote:That is of course predicated on the fact that CDs will remain collectable when you die.

Yes, there is no telling. But then there are also the comics.
1966 and all that

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 23 Nov 2018, 13:25

DRUGS SNAKE wrote:https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/business/man-believes-cd-collection-worth-actual-money-20181119179553

:lol:

It could swing either way. I've read articles here predicting a comeback, how people miss physical product. And I've got stuff you don't get on Spotify.
1966 and all that

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 23 Nov 2018, 14:39

Having been through the process of sorting through my late dad's stuff in order to sell my parents' house, I now know that whatever happens, I don't want to place that sort of burden on anyone. I honestly never realized how much of a hoarder my father was, and it was all mostly just garbage -old papers, work stuff, files, folders, shit he had absolutely no reason to keep - and we wound up just tossing all but the most important papers and a few odds and ends (I plan at some point to publish some of his letters which he kept duplicates of, like the one he sent to a supermarket, complaining that the frozen lasagna he bought didn't look at all like the picture on the package).

I guess I have to make some sort of plan for the disposal of this groaning chassis, but I really don't fucking care what happens to it after I'm gone. Nor do I care what happens to all my "shit" after I'm gone, just so long as it's easy to deal with for whoever gets that thankless task.
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 23 Nov 2018, 14:48

Who's insured? I am. My wife gets a nice little bundle after I go.
“It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.” Mark Twain