Have you made any plans for when you die

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Have you made any plans for when you die

Postby GoogaMooga » 22 Nov 2018, 23:20

I am 55, fat, and a smoker. Hope to live to 70, anything after that is a bonus.

I want to be cremated. One good friend has already confirmed he will be pallbearer at the service. Only one song request: "Don't Worry Baby" by Beach Boys.

I bequeath everything to my immediate family: parents, if they are still alive, otherwise younger brother and his wife, my niece and my nephew. They can sell the books as a lot to a second hand bookshop, but the comics and the CDs MUST be sold piecemeal to collectors, via amazon or ebay, or auction (if they don't want to keep them).

The DVDs and Blu-rays they will probably keep. The framed posters they can try to sell at an auction, though it might be difficult as they are all pasted up in custom frames.

The Wegner armchair will go to my great uncle's family members.
1966 and all that

Jimbo

Re: Have you made any plans for when you die

Postby Jimbo » 23 Nov 2018, 11:19

Sometimes my wife goes, "Where do you want to buried here or in America?" I'll probably die in Japan so Japan is probably where I'll be cremated and then have my ashes stowed in my wife's family's monument in a Hokkaido cemetery.

My stuff, I've been trying for ages to dump it all but my wife won't let me. She's got some packrat somewhere in her DNA and so she is welcome to do whatever it is she wants with it.

Funeral music? Anything by KC and the Sunshine Band will do for me but it'll probably be some gwang gwang sproing bwang kind of traditional Japanese music just to keep shit kosher.
“It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.” Mark Twain

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 23 Nov 2018, 11:38

Nothing yet for me personally (making a will next year), but I'm dealing with my father's extensive book and CD collection at the moment. 7000 books, most of which are worth very little, but at the same time I'm loath to just dump them all with a charity shop or with a bookseller in one go. My dad acquired those books over a lifetime, and whilst many of those he didn't really do much with, it doesn't feel right just yet that I should jettison them. Part of the process of grieving or remembrance to a certain extent is going through them. I suspect when I get to all the books that are in the loft I'll start to get a bit annoyed by it all though.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 23 Nov 2018, 11:47

I've willed my body to the University of Bristol for anatomisation. After they're done with it, my fervent wish is for it to be hygienically destroyed like the broken, failed machinery it will have become. If they should refuse it, as they did Chip's, because cancer had made it unfit for purpose, the same applies. the fetishisation of carcasses and the rituals of their disposal all seem repugnant to me.
For the last few years my main aim in life has been to get rid of the stuff before I die so someone else does not have to after the event. If I don't manage it, I don't care at all what happens to whatever's left. As far as I am concerned, the world and time I live in ends with my death, and I am therefore ultimately disinterested, and indeed uninterested, in what happens after that in others' timelines. People can use it, chuck it or leave it.
Last edited by Rayge on 23 Nov 2018, 11:59, edited 1 time in total.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings
hounds people off the board
Location: selling a self-detonating James Last CD to a Copenhagen thrift store

Postby Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings » 23 Nov 2018, 11:58

GoogaMooga wrote:...but the comics and the CDs MUST be sold piecemeal to collectors, via amazon or ebay, or auction (if they don't want to keep them).

How many CDs do you have?
Darkness_Fish wrote:This is a big fucking mess of absolute shit from the off.

Postby Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings » 23 Nov 2018, 12:04

Toby wrote:Nothing yet for me personally (making a will next year), but I'm dealing with my father's extensive book and CD collection at the moment. 7000 books, most of which are worth very little, but at the same time I'm loath to just dump them all with a charity shop or with a bookseller in one go. My dad acquired those books over a lifetime, and whilst many of those he didn't really do much with, it doesn't feel right just yet that I should jettison them. Part of the process of grieving or remembrance to a certain extent is going through them. I suspect when I get to all the books that are in the loft I'll start to get a bit annoyed by it all though.

If you're not in any rush to get rid of things, then that's a big help.

Are you not going to sell the house (if you don't mind me asking)?

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 23 Nov 2018, 12:06

Rayge wrote:I've willed my body to the University of Bristol for anatomisation.

I thought that said "automisation" at first glance. In the hope your corpse would be remote-controlled around Bristol or something...
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 23 Nov 2018, 12:07

Darkness_Fish wrote:
Rayge wrote:I've willed my body to the University of Bristol for anatomisation.

I thought that said "automisation" at first glance. In the hope your corpse would be remote-controlled around Bristol or something...

Actually that does sound like an attractive proposition...if it were let loose around Brislington, Kingswood or St George, I don't suppose anyone would even notice, even if bits were falling off
:D
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 23 Nov 2018, 12:11

No, it's not something I've given a lot of thought to. I figure I'll be cremated, but they can do whatever they like with my body, throw it in a skip, hang it as a warning to strangers on the exit slip-road of M6 junction 27, whatever. Beyond a couple of thousand CDs and records, I don't have much in the way of possessions, I'd like the good stuff to go to a good home, but most will probably be landfill.

So long as there's a statue in my honour in Wigan town centre, and an annual remembrance parade, I'm not really bothered about having lots of fuss and ceremony.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 23 Nov 2018, 12:30

Probably a hair appointment and a spot of frock shopping so I’m looking my best for my meet n greet with St Peter at The Gates.
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 23 Nov 2018, 12:33

Toby wrote:Nothing yet for me personally (making a will next year), but I'm dealing with my father's extensive book and CD collection at the moment. 7000 books, most of which are worth very little, but at the same time I'm loath to just dump them all with a charity shop or with a bookseller in one go. My dad acquired those books over a lifetime, and whilst many of those he didn't really do much with, it doesn't feel right just yet that I should jettison them. Part of the process of grieving or remembrance to a certain extent is going through them. I suspect when I get to all the books that are in the loft I'll start to get a bit annoyed by it all though.

I know what you mean. Books are a very personal thing, and I too have collected several thousand over a lifetime. But it would be too much to expect my brother to sell not only thousands of books, but also thousands of comics, CDs, and DVDs, all told maybe 30,000 items. Since your father was mainly about the books, you would do right to go through them and maximize the sales and keep some of them for yourself.
1966 and all that

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 23 Nov 2018, 12:36

DRUGS SNAKE wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:...but the comics and the CDs MUST be sold piecemeal to collectors, via amazon or ebay, or auction (if they don't want to keep them).

Conservative estimate 10,000, but many are rare (not all are from thrift...)
1966 and all that

Postby Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings » 23 Nov 2018, 12:38

GoogaMooga wrote:
DRUGS SNAKE wrote:

so after your day you expect your family to sell each and every one of them off, individually, to collectors?

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 23 Nov 2018, 12:42

DRUGS SNAKE wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:
DRUGS SNAKE wrote:

so after your day you expect your family to sell each and every one of them off, individually, to collectors?

Oh, I'd hope they keep them. But they don't listen much to music other than in the car. Accord would take them as a lot and only offer a fraction of their worth. Run of the mill stuff they can dump at Accord, but the rarities could fetch a lot more. Something for them to do when they retire. My brother is 50 soon.
1966 and all that

Postby Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings » 23 Nov 2018, 12:49

well I'm sure they'll be DELIGHTED

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 23 Nov 2018, 12:52

I think you should bequeath your cds to Coan, Googa!

Imagine his face when the delivery man turns up on his doorstep!
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

Postby Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings » 23 Nov 2018, 12:57

I'd order a skip immediately

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 23 Nov 2018, 13:00

OH YOU GROUCH
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 23 Nov 2018, 13:08

DRUGS SNAKE wrote:
If you're not in any rush to get rid of things, then that's a big help.

Are you not going to sell the house (if you don't mind me asking)?

We will sell it at some point I suspect, but not immediately - it hasn't been properly discussed by my siblings yet. There is no big rush to get rid of all the stuff which does help enormously. I suspect it'll probably take around 3 or 4 months of weekly visits to clear the place.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 23 Nov 2018, 13:09

DRUGS SNAKE wrote:well I'm sure they'll be DELIGHTED

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
"Don't be seduced into thinking that which did not make a profit is without value"
"'Seize the moments as they fly, know to live and learn to die'."