Have you got a hard on for New York

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Re: Have you got a hard on for New York

Postby GoogaMooga » 20 Nov 2018, 10:42

Actually, you can browse on the internet, and be surprised. It's not the physical experience, but there are the "Chinese boxes" of recommendations on amazon, and I think ebay offers similar ways. I absolutely love 2nd hand bookshops, even the smell when entering such a place, mmm... That cannot be replaced, granted.
1966 and all that

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 20 Nov 2018, 21:27

By Googa's logic, I shouldn't bother visiting Paris because it's no longer the 1920s, or London because the Swinging 60s are over, or Tokyo because whatever, but these are electrifying places to visit. They're still Paris, London and Tokyo.

Also: food. You can't get it made with fresh, local ingredients unless you're near a) the source and b) expert practitioners.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 20 Nov 2018, 21:32

Snarfyguy wrote:By Googa's logic, I shouldn't bother visiting Paris because it's no longer the 1920s.

It came off my bucket list when Josephine Baker died.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 20 Nov 2018, 22:33

sloopjohnc wrote:
Snarfyguy wrote:By Googa's logic, I shouldn't bother visiting Paris because it's no longer the 1920s.

It came off my bucket list when Josephine Baker died.

:lol:
1966 and all that

hippopotamus

Postby hippopotamus » 22 Nov 2018, 22:33

I didn't think I'd ever feel over-whelmingly PRO New York. I don't have any memories of The Good Old Days. I lived in New Jersey when I was younger, and it was that big place over there that we used to take oversees visitors to see all the tourist attractions. It wasn't much to me then.

I spent a month there a few years back as an adult. I had friends all over the city so stayed with each of them a while through the lower east side, queens, brooklyn and upper west. It was so great. I didn't have to DO anything to have a great time. I walked down the street "Oh look it's a Dance Parade". Should we get a bagel "Sure, I know the best place just around the corner". I had the best chinese food of my life. One day I deliberately tried to arrange NOTHING to see what happened, and happened to have a friend reach out who had a free ticket to the NYC ballet doing a dress rehearsal.

When you live there the working hours are crazy, and there is all the hassle of living in a city like grittiness, dirtiness and commuting... but as far as cities go, it has it's own thing. It's own thing is a bit eclectic and a bit all forgiving, all allowing and that's cool.
Diamond Dog wrote:
nev gash wrote:What is point?

Indeed, what is point?

hippopotamus

Postby hippopotamus » 22 Nov 2018, 22:34

I also like how one of my best friends is like the sweetest, meekest, kindest girl in the world who grew up in a Buddhist commune in NYC. But you going down the street with her, I've actually heard her yell at a stranger "I'M WALKIN' HERE!"
Diamond Dog wrote:
nev gash wrote:What is point?

Indeed, what is point?

$P.Muff$

Postby $P.Muff$ » 22 Nov 2018, 23:17

hippopotamus wrote:I lived in New Jersey when I was younger, and it was that big place over there that we used to take oversees visitors to see all the tourist attractions. It wasn't much to me then.

We lived in Vineland, NJ in the early '80s. Since I was very young, all I really remember about it is snow, traffic and the kid who lived next door getting frequent beatings from his Puerto Rican father for being a bedwetter. Vineland started as a Utopian community in the mid 19th century. I think it's safe to say it failed.

Qube

Postby Qube » 25 Nov 2018, 15:52

I've lived in New York for seven years now and it hasn't gotten boring yet... in terms of music, live venues, and cultural experiences, it's all about what you want and are interested. I suspect that going to DIY venues like Death By Audio, Glasslands, 285 Kent, Shea Stadium, etc, etc were every bit as important to me as people who went to CBGB in the 70s, etc. I still love being here every day.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 27 Nov 2018, 18:48

The Bulfine Papers (1917) wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:Now, as for live music, you can't beat, or couldn't beat, NY. It was once the home of doo wop, well, guess what - those groups are all long gone.

:o

This whole thread is a hoot.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 27 Nov 2018, 19:14

Count Machuki wrote:
The Bulfine Papers (1917) wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:Now, as for live music, you can't beat, or couldn't beat, NY. It was once the home of doo wop, well, guess what - those groups are all long gone.

:o

This whole thread is a hoot.

You wouldn't understand, being so much younger than I. Just checked Songkick for every gig in NY for the rest of the month, and there are a lot of concerts, but nothing of interest, hardly any names I know. David Johansen I saw already, with NY Dolls, Bob Dylan is hardly big news. Then there is Linda Clifford, minor Curtom artist, The best bet is Vanilla Fudge, not enough for me to get on that plane. I'd imagine it's all like that, all new names, all younger than myself, why should I care. Everyone is DEAD. It's over, and if you missed the boat, your loss. :P
1966 and all that

Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings
hounds people off the board
Location: selling a self-detonating James Last CD to a Copenhagen thrift store

Postby Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings » 27 Nov 2018, 20:39

Not enough that we have to deal with your 'quirkiness', now you appear to be turning into a bit of a wanker.

Tread carefully boyo
Last edited by Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings on 27 Nov 2018, 21:18, edited 1 time in total.
Darkness_Fish wrote:This is a big fucking mess of absolute shit from the off.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 27 Nov 2018, 21:02

The Bulfine Papers (1917) wrote:Not enough that we have to deal with your 'quirkiness', now you appear to be turning into a bit of a wanker.

Generous choice of tense
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Stille Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Stille Baron » 27 Nov 2018, 21:10

Last edited by Stille Baron on 27 Nov 2018, 21:24, edited 1 time in total.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings
hounds people off the board
Location: selling a self-detonating James Last CD to a Copenhagen thrift store

Postby Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings » 27 Nov 2018, 21:18

oh for fuck's sake it's just his first name and it's one of the most common in Denmark. It's as if someone stuck JOHN up there.

Cool yer boots. I'll take it down.
Darkness_Fish wrote:This is a big fucking mess of absolute shit from the off.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 27 Nov 2018, 21:39

I don't understand why a rebuttal is such a terrible thing. It's like a free pass at me. I am usually polite and take things in my stride, but if that is all that it takes, then it is stifling.
1966 and all that

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 27 Nov 2018, 21:50

GoogaMooga wrote:Everyone is DEAD.

Not Thom Yorke. Nor Kamasi Washington.
Both of whom are playing in NYC in November.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 27 Nov 2018, 21:53

Count Machuki wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:Everyone is DEAD.

Not Thom Yorke. Or Kamasi Washington.
Both of whom are playing in NYC in November.

I did not mean it literally. It was a way of saying that my time is over. I think most people will reach a point in their lives where they stop following new names and just look back with nostalgia.
1966 and all that

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 27 Nov 2018, 21:56

Your loss.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 27 Nov 2018, 21:57

Count Machuki wrote:Your loss.

Exactly.
1966 and all that

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 30 Nov 2018, 19:52

I haven’t reached that point and I’m 53. Something great is always round the corner.