Have you got a hard on for New York

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Stille Baron
Diamond Geezer

Re: Have you got a hard on for New York

Postby Stille Baron » 18 Nov 2018, 17:54

Walk In My Shadow wrote:Austin or San Antonio are still THE places.

But they should relocate out of Texas.

Alas, this is a common misconception.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 18 Nov 2018, 18:08

Goat Boy wrote:New York exists in the collective imagination in a way that most cities don't simply through our exposure to it through the dominant American culture. I'm sure for many of us here the New York of the 60s and 70s is what appeals to us. The New York of Serpico and Taxi Driver and CBGB's and the Village vanguard and so on. It's a powerful thing and it's understandable that some would bemoan the loss of the older, weirder New York (by New York I'm really talking about Manhattan). Even if you never experienced that New York you have an affinity for it and you can mourn its passing because of what it represented to you. On a more personal level I think you are also mourning the passing of the "old world" to some degree as well.
Gentrification has probably robbed it of something special I think and I don't think that's just hazy romanticism talking and I would say the same about other major cities such as London too and yet...

Having been there recently I still found it a magnificent place that was capable of inspiring awe. I mean if you walk back along the Brooklyn Bridge and view that panorama of Manhattan and don't get goosebumps then I would suggest something is probably wrong with you. All that life and history squeezed together on that little island. It does have an absurd amount of things to offer and there is something for everyone but clearly it is prohibitively too expensive for some.

The last Anthony Bourdain shows are great examples of this where he visits his old haunts in NYC. He talks to Richard Hell and the old founder of the Cro-Mags, who grew up there. The place was gritty and dirty and has been gentrified, but they wouldn't have traded the former for the latter.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 18 Nov 2018, 18:28

I suppose if you have never been to New York, you should visit the place at least once. Even as it is now. But to revisit, knowing what I want from a place? Nah. I did consider going to see Darlene Love's Xmas Concert at BB King's, but figured it wasn't worth the stress and the risk. What if I lost my card, how'd I get home? Same reason I never went to see the last Fats shows in New Orleans. Too far away from home. When I was young, I was more reckless. Now, I am just too complacent. Like I said, since 97 the only thing that could get me on a plane would be an important gig. But most of the greats are dead now, or retired.
1966 and all that

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 18 Nov 2018, 18:31

GoogaMooga wrote:What if I lost my card, how'd I get home?

That's pretty much at the top of my mind any time I travel.
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 18 Nov 2018, 18:31

Still plenty to do in NYC which back in the 70's and 80's mean only Manhattan but today means all 5 boughs. It still is the city that never sleeps and on any week you can go to endless events. There is more open space now too and its much safer than ever before. Sure places are gone but that is the changing city and at the same time certain places are still there. its not like they turned NYC into a mall it still has a unique feel walking around

Anyone who likes cities and has never been to NYC should still go.

Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings
hounds people off the board
Location: selling a self-detonating James Last CD to a Copenhagen thrift store

Postby Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings » 18 Nov 2018, 18:39

harvey k-tel wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:What if I lost my card, how'd I get home?

That's pretty much at the top of my mind any time I travel.

Really? I normally just think of how most of the greats are dead, or retired.
Darkness_Fish wrote:This is a big fucking mess of absolute shit from the off.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 18 Nov 2018, 18:40

You don't worry about your card? Must be nice.

Minnie Mincepie
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie Mincepie » 18 Nov 2018, 19:29

This reminds me of the time my stepmum, in the middle of a particularly free-associating rant in the car on the way to the Isle of Iona, kept demanding what my Dad was going to do if there was no toilet on the boat (a ten minute boat ride) and she or my step sister needed to change their tampons. She began each of these sentences with WHAT IF, WHAT IF, and my Dad suddenly swerved the car to the lay-by and yelled, ‘WHAT IF MY SYPHILITIC DICK FALLS OFF MID - SAIL’ which won the game of ‘irrational worry top trumps’ hands down.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 18 Nov 2018, 19:36

:D

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 18 Nov 2018, 19:38

What card though? Bank? Donor?
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 18 Nov 2018, 19:39

I think it's just a piece of paper with his address on it.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 18 Nov 2018, 20:23

Say I lost the card in London. Not too far away from home. I could probably survive a day or two on the street, my bank's got a branch office there, contact the Danish Embassy, there'd be a way to get back. The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.
1966 and all that

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 18 Nov 2018, 20:38

And there are no other ways to get around this?
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 18 Nov 2018, 20:54

Goat Boy wrote:And there are no other ways to get around this?

It's a worst case scenario. Normally you'd check in at the hotel, lock away tix, passport, and some extra cash, or better yet, use the hotel's safe. It's before or after that is tricky. You should be prepared for any eventuality.
1966 and all that

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 18 Nov 2018, 21:00

My point was there are ways around this, Googa.

Get a backup bank card or, better still, a credit card and keep it safe back at the hotel. If you lose your main card you can just use that one instead. Or get some travellers cheques. If these are stolen you can get replacements immediately.

I understand that things can go awry on holiday - it's happened to me (I've had my passport stolen, I've had my camera stolen and had money problems in Argentina ) - therefore I know when things go wrong it can be stressful, especially given your aspergers, but it doesn't mean holiday over/I'm stranded. There are ways to get around this fairly remote possibility and you shouldn't rule out travelling just in case this happens.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 18 Nov 2018, 21:09

Goat Boy wrote:My point was there are ways around this, Googa.

Get a backup bank card or, better still, a credit card and keep it safe back at the hotel. If you lose your main card you can just use that one instead. Or get some travellers cheques. If these are stolen you can get replacements immediately.

I understand that things can go awry on holiday - it's happened to me (I've had my passport stolen, I've had my camera stolen and had money problems in Argentina ) - therefore I know when things go wrong it can be stressful, especially given your aspergers, but it doesn't mean holiday over/I'm stranded. There are ways to get around this fairly remote possibility and you shouldn't rule out travelling just in case this happens.

Yes, you are right, after I wrote that last post I realized I normally kept the card in the hotel and carried a bit of cash on me about town. I should perhaps add that I've had a stiff neck since March 16th, 2016, and have not been able to travel any further than a 40 minute train distance. Just enough to get to Copenhagen for my monthly jaunt. So in my case, it's a mix of bad neck, being jaded, and lack of interest.
1966 and all that

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 18 Nov 2018, 21:26

GoogaMooga wrote:

Yes, you are right, after I wrote that last post I realized I normally kept the card in the hotel and carried a bit of cash on me about town. I should perhaps add that I've had a stiff neck since March 16th, 2016, and have not been able to travel any further than a 40 minute train distance. Just enough to get to Copenhagen for my monthly jaunt. So in my case, it's a mix of bad neck, being jaded, and lack of interest.

Well I hope your neck gets better soon, Googa. Such a drag!

Minnie Mincepie
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie Mincepie » 18 Nov 2018, 21:36

GoogaMooga wrote:

You didn’t write ‘The Timewaster Letters’ books did you Googa? I loved those!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 19 Nov 2018, 00:38

Goat Boy wrote:
Well I hope your neck gets better soon, Googa. Such a drag!

It's chronic, but thanks, Goat Boy. :)
1966 and all that

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 19 Nov 2018, 19:03

I can relate to the old school romance of NYC. I grew up about a 90 minute drive from there, and we'd go into town once or twice a year. It was different in those days, it did feel like you were in another country and you had to physically go there to have certain experiences.

There were record stores where you'd find stuff you would NEVER see in suburban New Jersey. Even just, deals on blank cassette tapes for less than a dollar each could be found in this magical place. And there were ethnic restaurants with food you'd never get to eat in your little town, and the world's greatest jazz musicians playing corner bars every night. There was alwaysmore going on than you could possibly do. It felt like considerably more of the world was at your fingertips, than usual.

I think that sort of feeling - that you could have experiences there that are unavailable anywhere else - still exists but it used to be more common. I doubt anyone romanticizes Canal Street's electronic stores today, like I did in the 80s.

As someone who has toured in rock bands starting in the early 90s, I will say that I find more and more unified kind of consumer culture these days. Some places are more susceptible to it than others but it's all over the place. You can still get the distinct feel & flavor of a place, it just takes a little more openness and awareness. If you were a panicky sort of person you could probably eat at McDonalds every day and feel comforted by that if you chose to do so.
Last edited by bobzilla77 on 20 Nov 2018, 00:50, edited 1 time in total.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.