Have you got a hard on for New York

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Have you got a hard on for New York

Postby GoogaMooga » 17 Nov 2018, 17:27

I used to think New York City was the ultimate city, the coolest place on Earth. Having only spent 24 hours there in 1975, I have paradoxically spent an inordinate amount of time reading articles about the Big Apple, watching docs, studying photos, making pop culture connections, dreaming of a life there. My main interests are inextricably connected with that place: music, comics, movies, cult fiction. It used to be a concentration of all that mattered to me in life. And I have not been alone in that. Was it Alfred Hitchcock who had memorized the timetable of the subway over there, without ever having set foot in that city. But with the degeneration of pop culture, the arrival of the internet, the changes in the old ethnic neighborhoods, so much is lost. From the seediness of 42nd Street and the smoke-filled jazz clubs of 52nd Street, to Times Square, the Village, the Chelsea Hotel, CBGB's, the megastores, the repertory theaters, not much left of what made that city interesting. People lament the death of the high street in smaller towns, but even a busy metropolis like New York has suffered. With everything crammed into the internet and available at the click of a mouse, it almost seems pointless to visit, or indeed live in a big city anymore. That goes for New York, and all the great cities.

Norman Parkinson 1949
Last edited by GoogaMooga on 17 Nov 2018, 19:26, edited 1 time in total.
1966 and all that

Minnie Mincepie
funky thigh collector

Re: Have you got a hard on for New York

Postby Minnie Mincepie » 17 Nov 2018, 19:02

I’m not really sure how much I can say to this except that if you are seriously wondering what the point of visiting NY is because these days ‘everything is available online’ then it’s probably best that you stay where you are and don’t worry about it.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 17 Nov 2018, 19:25

Minnie Cheddars wrote:I’m not really sure how much I can say to this except that if you are seriously wondering what the point of visiting NY is because these days ‘everything is available online’ then it’s probably best that you stay where you are and don’t worry about it.

Well, in my case I had already had the gosh wow experience in 1975. So it would be a return. I blame the internet and the decline of pop culture, but I am admittedly also a bit jaded from travel.
1966 and all that

Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings
hounds people off the board
Location: selling a self-detonating James Last CD to a Copenhagen thrift store

Postby Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings » 17 Nov 2018, 19:46

When did you last leave Denmark?
Darkness_Fish wrote:This is a big fucking mess of absolute shit from the off.

Minnie Mincepie
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie Mincepie » 17 Nov 2018, 19:54

GoogaMooga wrote:
Minnie Cheddars wrote:I’m not really sure how much I can say to this except that if you are seriously wondering what the point of visiting NY is because these days ‘everything is available online’ then it’s probably best that you stay where you are and don’t worry about it.

Well, in my case I had already had the gosh wow experience in 1975. So it would be a return. I blame the internet and the decline of pop culture, but I am admittedly also a bit jaded from travel.

You blame the internet and decline of pop culture for what?

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 17 Nov 2018, 19:57

While I agree with some of what your saying and yes I've got to admit until about 10 years ago we would just go into the city for the day and have endless things to do and see. Now a lot of my favorite things aren't there anymore and while I still am a foodie and do drink a little I'm not the big food and drink junkie I was. I still enjoy the city and it still is very interesting and pretty much the center of my universe its not what it once was.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 17 Nov 2018, 20:03

Earl E. Eel wrote:When did you last leave Denmark?

December 2015, to London, to see Ronnie Spector at the Barbican. Because of my condition, I can't travel far anymore, but it's not sour grapes.
1966 and all that

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 17 Nov 2018, 20:04

Minnie Cheddars wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:

You blame the internet and decline of pop culture for what?

Fo my losing interest in big city life.
1966 and all that

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 17 Nov 2018, 20:10

I think there is an iota of truth in what GM says - so many big cities are soulless pits. Is NYC anywhere near the same as it was in the 70s and 80s? Definitely not. Whether it's "better" is difficult to articulate - I imagine it's probably a lot cleaner and safer than it was, but the "life" has been sucked out of it by gentrification. London is going the same way.

Postby Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings » 17 Nov 2018, 20:16

=

Minnie Mincepie
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie Mincepie » 17 Nov 2018, 20:38

I am not even for a minute disputing that cities change and have changed. That's their nature. Everywhere in the world changes.

However this:

GoogaMooga wrote:it almost seems pointless to visit, or indeed live in a big city anymore. That goes for New York, and all the great cities.

is such willfully asinine nonsense that it does nobody any favours to nod along to.

Dr Markus wrote:

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 17 Nov 2018, 20:44

Minnie Cheddars wrote:I am not even for a minute disputing that cities change and have changed. That's their nature. Everywhere in the world changes.

However this:

GoogaMooga wrote:it almost seems pointless to visit, or indeed live in a big city anymore. That goes for New York, and all the great cities.

is such willfully asinine nonsense that it does nobody any favours to nod along to.

It can be contested, but it all depends on where you are coming from, what you are looking for. If you are a nostalgic, steeped in pop culture, like I am, then the big cities have lost much of their allure. If you like sightseeing, restos, museums, there is still a lot to enjoy.
1966 and all that

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 17 Nov 2018, 20:58

What a lot of nonsense
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Postby Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings » 17 Nov 2018, 21:04

Pure attention seeking, as ever.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 17 Nov 2018, 22:28

At least I have argued my case. And it was written from a personal vantage point. Not making claims for everyone, clearly a lot of people enjoy the big cities as they are today.
1966 and all that

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 17 Nov 2018, 22:43

Minnie Cheddars wrote:I am not even for a minute disputing that cities change and have changed. That's their nature. Everywhere in the world changes.

However this:

Interesting.

Do you believe he has made up his perspective for effect?

Or do you just not accept that his condition is likely to result in a different perspective to yours?

Minnie Mincepie
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie Mincepie » 17 Nov 2018, 23:26

Lord Rother wrote:

However this:

Interesting.

Do you believe he has made up his perspective for effect?

Or do you just not accept that his condition is likely to result in a different perspective to yours?

Are you just asking me, or does the question apply to everyone else that said what I did?

Dr Markus wrote:

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 17 Nov 2018, 23:57

I don’t see what GM’s condition has to do with the hypothesis - something to do with the internet meaning that cities are no longer worth living in or visiting. And the only possible response to that is the one Minnie or Count M have given.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 18 Nov 2018, 00:36

Toby wrote:I think there is an iota of truth in what GM says - so many big cities are soulless pits. Is NYC anywhere near the same as it was in the 70s and 80s? Definitely not. Whether it's "better" is difficult to articulate - I imagine it's probably a lot cleaner and safer than it was, but the "life" has been sucked out of it by gentrification. London is going the same way.

Many people feel the same about San Francisco. It was kind of a rite of passage to live there for young people, myself included. I did it, had my car broken into numerous times, and was done.

I worked there for two years three years ago and coming into the city on the train was still a little exciting, but now I avoid the place.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 18 Nov 2018, 01:05

Ranking Ted wrote:I don’t see what GM’s condition has to do with the hypothesis - something to do with the internet meaning that cities are no longer worth living in or visiting. And the only possible response to that is the one Minnie or Count M have given.

Well there’s a surprise, of course you don’t.