Overtourism

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Polishgirl

Re: Overtourism

Postby Polishgirl » 08 Nov 2018, 13:30

yomptepi wrote:
Robert wrote:
yomptepi wrote: Personally I think we will be visiting less overwhelmed destinations, like Krakow and Cadiz in future. For as long as that lasts anyway...

Good luck ! :
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldn ... rties.html

From 2014. We were there a couple of years ago and it was quiet and lovely. Apart from the students eagerly imploring us to visit Auschwitz of course. I think the stag crowd have moved on and are ruining Prague these days....

I've been to Krakow four times since 2007 ( at varying times of the year ) and I've never ever had an issue with stags. I suspect that, like a lot of cities, there is a particular area where the drink & tit & dick action is contained, and if you don't happen upon that area, you don't have a problem. I've also read that stag tourism tends to hit hardest in cities which have recently become a budget airline route. it proliferates for a year or two before it's restricted by the local authorities.

The only place we encountered a rowdy stag party was in Budapest about 10 years ago. They were Brits ( natch ) and clocked us as being Brits, so started to "interact" with us. They were pretty harmless, and also extremely foolish. One of them dropped his trousers to show us his wares. We laughed and my friend shouted " I've seen better" and we walked off.

What I really wanted to tell him but couldn't is that my friend is a nice girl and has only seen about three in her entire life. 8-)
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 08 Nov 2018, 13:41

Anyway; overtourism.

I've been to Venice and Florence in the last two years, and you really do notice these vasts groups of people traipsing along behind a tour group leader, all going to the same headline sights. I'm guessing that they're coming mostly off those hideous, monstrously massive cruise ships: "Today, we're doing Venice!" We did a free walking tour in Venice and our guide explained that Venice is basically a dying city as people can't afford to live there now. She told us to try and support the established small businesses, eg buying our postcards from a bookshop rather than a booth near St Mark's. The overall environmental impact of mass tourism and those mega-ships must be appalling.

The advantage of Venice is that the whole island is interesting and characterful, so you can get away from the crowds quickly and wander round much quieter areas - we really liked the Ghetto in particular. Florence isn't like this; outside the centre it's anonymous suburbia. We didn't like Florence partly because of the overwhelming crowds.

I'd love to go to Barcelona but I've been reading more and more about how it's blighted with tourism. Certainly, it seems like AirBNB has had a very negative impact. This is a shame, because we really like AirBNBs now, especially if you're travelling on a budget. Am I right in thinking that Manhattan has banned short-term lets of less than 30 days? Perhaps that's the way forward for the especially popular cities.
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 08 Nov 2018, 14:05

I hear Vladivostok is lovely this time of year.
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

Earl E. Eel
hounds people off the board

Postby Earl E. Eel » 08 Nov 2018, 14:29

Polishgirl wrote:I'd love to go to Barcelona but I've been reading more and more about how it's blighted with tourism.

See, locals appear to feel that, but I really didn't sense the place was overrun at all. It's a major city with over a million and a half inhabitants, there are still many districts where you can wander without seeing a single tourist.
yomptepi wrote:Who in their right minds would voluntarily go to Wales?

echolalia

Postby echolalia » 08 Nov 2018, 15:25

'oh bee' wrote:I saw signs all over Barcelona saying 'REFUGEES WELCOME - TOURISTS GO HOME' this year too, which surprised me a bit. And I've heard that Lisbon - a place I've always thought was one of the most serene and unspoilt European capital cities - is fucked off with tourists now too, and authorities are taking action to do something about them.

There’s a good deal of anti-tourist sentiment in Lisbon just now. It pisses me off a little, as all of the animosity is directed at those who are paying out the money (tourists) and none at those who are banking it (locals). The air bnb-thing seems to have peaked, though, as more and more apartment owners come to realize that letting out their properties to short-stay occupants involves quite a lot of work. It isn’t the free money they dreamed it would be.

My son is studying in Barcelona just now and says decent accommodation for students is very hard to find on account of air bnb. He got lucky though and found a place on the edge of the old town, just south of where the Eixample starts – just how awful it is I’ll see for myself when I visit soon.

Maybe the best thing we can all do for Venice is not go there (which is easier to say if you’ve already been, admittedly).