Pubs

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Pubs

Postby Toby » 07 Nov 2018, 18:21

I'm sat in a pub.

They're mostly shit aren't they? This one is a halfway house between a restaurant and a booze and can't make its mind up. It's rural so doesn't get much trade apart from couples wanting to eat something but not wanting the formality.

Modern non descript pop music is playing, a little too loudly. A trio of lads who have finished work are sipping their one pint before they go home to their partners or their Xbox and a wank before going to bed. It's not busy but neither is it empty. The sound of cutlery on plates is more audible than people chatting.

There are more choices of soft drinks in the fridges behind the bar than there is bottled beer. This is not good. It reminds me that I rarely go to pubs anymore and this is the reason why.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Re: Pubs

Postby GoogaMooga » 07 Nov 2018, 18:29

Never had the inclination to go except to score hashish. I'd just buy a ginger ale. I thnk it's okay for "barflies", who sit there and regale; it's an easy way for regulars to meet up without all the hassle of having to entertain guests at home.
1966 and all that

Minnie Cheddars
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie Cheddars » 07 Nov 2018, 18:30

You’re in a crap pub at a quiet time. It isn’t representative of all pubs. Having said that, at almost anytime of day, I would rather be in even a crap pub than almost anywhere else. Pubs are wonderful and pub crawls are heaven.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Minnie Cheddars
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie Cheddars » 07 Nov 2018, 18:56

Yes, let’s hear it for PUBS!

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Minnie Cheddars
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie Cheddars » 07 Nov 2018, 19:51

I see EVERYONE HATES PUBS NOW

Dr Markus wrote:

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 07 Nov 2018, 20:04

NOt me! *hic*
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

gash’s trollish obsession
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby gash’s trollish obsession » 07 Nov 2018, 20:10

Toby wrote:A trio of lads who have finished work are sipping their one pint before they go home to their partners or their Xbox and a wank before going to bed.

:oops:

Looks like you stumbled on our Politburo mini-jolly.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...yet it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce, didn't it?

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 08 Nov 2018, 10:12

I don't visit pubs that often because of the price of booze these days but there is something very pleasurable about holing up a nice pub and sinking pints with friends. The background chatter and laughter of a dozen conversations, the ripped apart crisp packets on the table so everyone can partake, the occasional chat with a stranger in the toilet, the pleasant geniality of the attractive drunk (after you, no after you...), the local characters and so on.

The older the better too. Victoria style and all that wood, you know? Wonderful. There are some beautiful pubs in Edinburgh and just being in them you feel like part of a continuum which I love. Just think of all those people who have sat there, all the laughs, all the jokes, all the conversations, all the disagreements and occasional fights. All that life. It connects you with the past which is why I tend to avoid "newer" pubs. Less atmosphere, less feeling.

I also like the kind of presbyterian bar you get up here. The austere chairs and tables and no frills "menu" (crisps...maybe a cheeky pie?) that are harder to find. The kind of pubs where you get the regular sat at their bar with a paper.

I don't like music either in pubs. Well, it shouldn't impede on conversation anyway. I will walk out of any pub where the music levels are too high.

I should visit them more.
Last edited by Goat Boy on 08 Nov 2018, 10:48, edited 1 time in total.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

Nuts

Postby Nuts » 08 Nov 2018, 10:43

If you can find the right one, there's nowhere better to spend the evening talking shite and getting slowly merry.
Spending 5 days in New York in a couple of weeks, anyone got any suggestions of good bars to visit?
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best…

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 08 Nov 2018, 10:45

Good post GB. My feeling though is that the sort of pub where you get a nice cross-section of life is fading fast, at least where I live.

There's a pub about 3 miles from me that still keeps that spirit. You'll find farmers covered in mud, dog walkers and locals all chatting with a big roaring fire and the sort of furnishing that hasn't been seen to in 20 years. It had an amazing landlady that got to know you immediately but she moved on sadly. However it's not exactly local for us and requires a drive , which sort of negates it being a drop in place.

The problem around here is that village pubs have moved towards being places to eat or have essentially disappeared because there isn't enough custom.

Earl E. Eel
hounds people off the board

Postby Earl E. Eel » 08 Nov 2018, 10:46

the bile flowing wrote:
Toby wrote:A trio of lads who have finished work are sipping their one pint before they go home to their partners or their Xbox and a wank before going to bed.

:oops:

Looks like you stumbled on our Politburo mini-jolly.

:lol:
GoogaMooga wrote:you have to look to the Dutch licensee, Disky

I've got more Disky product

a label like Dutch Disky

One comp to avoid, though, is Disky's "Best of the 70's"

Normally, Disky are clever at repackaging

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 08 Nov 2018, 10:59

I love pubs, it has to be said. I pretty much agree with everything GB said, which might be a first. Good beer, a roaring fire (don't care if it's summer, open the windows, a pub must have a roaring fire), dog walkers and a no loud music policy is essential. As someone who's fairly used to his own company, there's also a lot to be said about finding a nice pub and sitting down with a book, a pint, and a packet of crisp, and occasionally engaging in half-hearted conversation with the bored bar staff. Especially in a city, if you can find a decent place and get away from the crush for an hour or two.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 08 Nov 2018, 11:21

Darkness_Fish wrote:I love pubs, it has to be said. I pretty much agree with everything GB said, which might be a first. Good beer, a roaring fire (don't care if it's summer, open the windows, a pub must have a roaring fire), dog walkers and a no loud music policy is essential. As someone who's fairly used to his own company, there's also a lot to be said about finding a nice pub and sitting down with a book, a pint, and a packet of crisp, and occasionally engaging in half-hearted conversation with the bored bar staff. Especially in a city, if you can find a decent place and get away from the crush for an hour or two.

There's a pub up on Dartmoor (the second highest in England I believe), The Warren House Inn where the fire has never gone out - allegedly.

This is the famous fire that has been burning since 1845, when the smouldering embers were transferred from the original old building across the road. We now use hardwood logs obtained locally, instead of the peat vags which were used in 1845.

I love a warm peat vag!
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 08 Nov 2018, 11:30

Goat Boy wrote:I don't visit pubs that often because of the price of booze these days but there is something very pleasurable about holing up a nice pub and sinking pints with friends. The background chatter and laughter of a dozen conversations, the ripped apart crisp packets on the table so everyone can partake, the occasional chat with a stranger in the toilet, the pleasant geniality of the attractive drunk (after you, no after you...), the local characters and so on.

The older the better too. Victoria style and all that wood, you know? Wonderful. There are some beautiful pubs in Edinburgh and just being in them you feel like part of a continuum which I love. Just think of all those people who have sat there, all the laughs, all the jokes, all the conversations, all the disagreements and occasional fights. All that life. It connects you with the past which is why I tend to avoid "newer" pubs. Less atmosphere, less feeling.

I also like the kind of presbyterian bar you get up here. The austere chairs and tables and no frills "menu" (crisps...maybe a cheeky pie?) that are harder to find. The kind of pubs where you get the regular sat at their bar with a paper.

I don't like music either in pubs. Well, it shouldn't impede on conversation anyway. I will walk out of any pub where the music levels are too high.

This almost word for word.
The only thing I disagree with is the jukebox - I do love a good jukebox!

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 08 Nov 2018, 12:46

I'm somewhere in between on the pub issue. A good evening at a good pub with good friends can be great, and I always enjoy it when I'm back home visiting, but it needs to have the right atmosphere: busy enough to feel lively, but retaining some kind of essential cosiness too.

A lot of pubs these days try to do too much other stuff. Sure, it's nice to eat a good lunch at a quality place, but then the place feels more like a restaurant than a pub. I can only remember one or two places that managed to mix both properly.

I live abroad and so they don't really have pubs apart from Irish theme places, which I only set foot in if there's football on. There are plenty of good bars in Stockholm that have good drinks, attractive clientele and the right mixture of liveliness and space. Enough conversation and enough to look at, without worrying about what you just trod in.
Copehead wrote:I have met Gruff Rhys - although he claimed he wasn't and that he couldn't speak Welsh, as I spoke to him in Welsh, but it was him lying bastard.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 08 Nov 2018, 12:53

The Modernist wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:I don't visit pubs that often because of the price of booze these days but there is something very pleasurable about holing up a nice pub and sinking pints with friends. The background chatter and laughter of a dozen conversations, the ripped apart crisp packets on the table so everyone can partake, the occasional chat with a stranger in the toilet, the pleasant geniality of the attractive drunk (after you, no after you...), the local characters and so on.

This almost word for word.
The only thing I disagree with is the jukebox - I do love a good jukebox!

Oi! Landlord! Any chance you can stick some acid jazz on the old jukebox mate!
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

LeBaron
Diamond Geezer

Postby LeBaron » 08 Nov 2018, 13:10

:lol:

I love them as well, though I’m probably not as harsh a critic, coming from where I do.

The jukebox thing is a mixed bag for me. British jukeboxes are never right to me, so I’d just as soon not have any music.

I’ll never forget coming into a rural-ish pub in Lancashire after a long walk, full of excitement for the whole thing and the guy behind the bar was playing his Mike & the Mechanics cd. Good God.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 08 Nov 2018, 13:13

LeBaron wrote:I’ll never forget coming into a rural-ish pub in Lancashire after a long walk, full of excitement for the whole thing and the guy behind the bar was playing his Mike & the Mechanics cd. Good God.

Were you more expecting something like this?

Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 08 Nov 2018, 16:52

I meant to post on this thread yesterday, but didn't until now.

Personally, I envy the UK in having pubs. My hometown had a variety of very nice (and not so nice since the county jail was situated there) bars. And I've been to lots of bars in San Francisco, and there are some very good ones.

None match the atmosphere of an English pub. An American bar seems to have this more intense atmosphere that people are going there to get drunk first and socialize, second. There are some with more relaxed atmospheres, like sports bars, but even then, the atmosphere is more intense because there's usually always a game on you're expected to watch. And they're much louder. Like Americans, I guess.

My friend from Berkeley and I used to meet at a micro-brewery bar and grill in downtown Oakland that had the same atmosphere as a pub in the UK. But it only resembled it, didn't match it.

When I went to England for my 50th, I hung out in lots of pubs in Chester and did a pub crawl with some of my favorite BCBers in Liverpool. The Leeds thing was kind of an exception, because it was an excuse for a big BCB get-together.

There's nothing like the conversational and relaxed atmosphere of a good English pub I've found. It's unique. Whether it's a country pub where I was goofing around playing frisbee with guys on the green behind it on a Sunday afternoon, seeing a local band, or just hunkering down and slowly getting tipsy while having a good conversation and walking home, it's a unique phenomenon, that only a pub can imbue.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 08 Nov 2018, 17:02

What I don't understand about American bars John is the way that everyone just sits along the bar in a row. But I don't know if this actually happens as a matter of course or if its just something you see in films. If there's four of you sitting in a row like that makes conversation tricky!