2018 Midterm Election Thread

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Re: 2018 Midterm Election Thread

Postby Matt Wilson » 07 Nov 2018, 04:43

Good. Trump & Mcconnell will have trouble getting things by the House then.
Coan wrote:'Vertigo' is one of the best things U2 have ever done, one of a handful of occasions where they get it just right. That bit near the end where the song lifts off? You don't get that with The Allman Brothers.

$P.Muff$

Postby $P.Muff$ » 07 Nov 2018, 05:06

Michigan legalized recreational cannabis use & Missouri legalized medicinal.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 07 Nov 2018, 05:12

$P.Muff$ wrote:Her numbers are getting better as the count slowly comes in - only like 8pts down with 8% left to report. Considering the obstacles her campaign has faced that's not bad at all.

Considering her opponent's name is synonymous with election fuckery, it's outrageous, but yeah I guess!
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

LeBaron
Diamond Geezer

Postby LeBaron » 07 Nov 2018, 05:16

So basically it’s mostly going down the way the prediction people thought it would.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

$P.Muff$

Postby $P.Muff$ » 07 Nov 2018, 05:25

Snarfyguy wrote:
$P.Muff$ wrote:Her numbers are getting better as the count slowly comes in - only like 8pts down with 8% left to report. Considering the obstacles her campaign has faced that's not bad at all.

Considering her opponent's name is synonymous with election fuckery, it's outrageous, but yeah I guess!

She's still getting closer.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 07 Nov 2018, 05:53

LeBaron wrote:So basically it’s mostly going down the way the prediction people thought it would.

Funny how that works.

80% of the men at my polling place looked like they belonged on “Duck Dynasty”. The guy I gave my ballot to wanted to tell me, for no particular reason what a scumbag he thinks the Dem candidate for Governor is. I didn’t mention that I’d just voted for the guy but he was giving me the snake eye so I suspect he figured that out on his own.

Those viral videos of people of color waiting in long lines to vote in Georgia are outrageous. If a Dem congress doesn’t promptly give TRUMP a voting reform bill to veto, I will be very disappointed.
Last edited by Sneelock on 07 Nov 2018, 05:58, edited 1 time in total.
I am not a robot.

$P.Muff$

Postby $P.Muff$ » 07 Nov 2018, 05:57

Maybe this goob will lose:

$P.Muff$

Postby $P.Muff$ » 07 Nov 2018, 06:00

Sneelock wrote:The guy I gave my ballot to wanted to tell me what a scumbag the guy I just voted for Governor was for no particular reason

Fuck that. I would have raised some sort of ruckus about that. Totally uncalled for

$P.Muff$

Postby $P.Muff$ » 07 Nov 2018, 06:19

Abrams is only 3pts down now.

Earl E. Eel
hounds people off the board

Postby Earl E. Eel » 07 Nov 2018, 10:01

Question - why are the results nearly always close? I've been up half the night and pretty much every time it's been 48.2% to 51.8%, or 53.4% to 46.6%

Are there no hardline Republican districts where they obtain significant majorities? Do you never get Democrat strongholds where they manage an 80% share of the vote?
yomptepi wrote:Who in their right minds would voluntarily go to Wales?

$P.Muff$

Postby $P.Muff$ » 07 Nov 2018, 11:21

RELD-LOMAX inc. wrote:Question - why are the results nearly always close? I've been up half the night and pretty much every time it's been 48.2% to 51.8%, or 53.4% to 46.6%

Are there no hardline Republican districts where they obtain significant majorities? Do you never get Democrat strongholds where they manage an 80% share of the vote?

Take a look at Alabama's election results where the only Dem to win was Sewell who ran uncontested.

Minnie Cheddars
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie Cheddars » 07 Nov 2018, 13:07

Seeing exactly how close Beto was this morning is painful.
This is my final prompt to getting citizenship. I can’t live here and not vote.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 07 Nov 2018, 13:20

Well done America! Now hassle your new representatives to start some investigations. If you could jail his crooked kids while he's still President that would almost make up for 2016

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 07 Nov 2018, 14:08

RELD-LOMAX inc. wrote:Question - why are the results nearly always close? I've been up half the night and pretty much every time it's been 48.2% to 51.8%, or 53.4% to 46.6%

I saw something go by last night that said (and I paraphrase) if you offered Florida a choice between ice cream and a kick in the head it would be 51.4% to 48.6%.
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 07 Nov 2018, 14:55

Look at the house races in and around NYC. Westchester county(just north of NYC) all those races are in the 70 and 80%. Engel didn't even have a challenger. Northeastern NJ also.

On the Red side yes Alabama and lost of the mid western(WY, Neb, Id, western Kansas).

The reason so much is close is that USA is divided rural vs city and its getting where even the midwest cities are voting more blue. This midterm seemed to be about the suburbs only hope this can grow more blue by 2020.

What I'll never get about Florida is the Latino Men who vote over 50% Red. It makes no sense to me.

LeBaron
Diamond Geezer

Postby LeBaron » 07 Nov 2018, 15:33

Hightea wrote:What I'll never get about Florida is the Latino Men who vote over 50% Red. It makes no sense to me.

If that’s true I suspect it’s attributable to Fidel Castro and the Republican Party’s long-standing obsession with him as a pariah.

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

LeBaron
Diamond Geezer

Postby LeBaron » 07 Nov 2018, 15:36

Beto did have some strong coattails. Texas elects its judges, and every urban appellate court (2 in Houston, San Antonio, Dallas, and Austin) all had (unprecedented in recent history) Democratic sweeps.* This is in addition to the obvious congressional pickups and the slight dilution of Tea Party strength in state politics.

* This isn’t necessarily a good thing. Inevitably, some excellent, experienced judges get swept out and some hacks get swept in for no reason other than the letter after their name.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 07 Nov 2018, 16:18

LeBaron wrote:
Hightea wrote:What I'll never get about Florida is the Latino Men who vote over 50% Red. It makes no sense to me.

If that’s true I suspect it’s attributable to Fidel Castro and the Republican Party’s long-standing obsession with him as a pariah.

Well that is the problem that should make them vote 70 or 80's blue. However, that doesn't happen.

LeBaron
Diamond Geezer

Postby LeBaron » 07 Nov 2018, 16:52

Hightea wrote:
LeBaron wrote:

Well that is the problem that should make them vote 70 or 80's blue. However, that doesn't happen.

I don’t understand your words and sentences. But that’s ok, if it is actually true that Latino men in Florida “vote over 50% Red,” I’m not at all surprised.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 07 Nov 2018, 17:10

I don't understand MY words and sentences but that sure ain't gonna stop me!

It could have been worse. I'll be honest, I expected worse. My fairygodmother came and said I could have ONE wish for the results. I chose Governor. He won handily. Fairy Godmother rocks. I'm SURE all those Duck Dynasty dudes were out voting for the Republican - he's one of those "Trumpier than TRUMP" guys. California hasn't had a Hard-Ass Republican Governor for a while. I dreaded we were overdue. glory BE - this was not to pass.

I have a pretty low opinion of the guy I voted for but he's been Lt. Gov for a while so much of what I like about the state of California should stay steadfast for a while.

My mother in law needed consoling when Beto & Gillum conceded. I hope she feels better today since Stacy Abrams didn't. you know what? I hope the Dems don't treat those two guys like losers because look how close it was and look how unapologetically LIBERAL they were. they talked straight and got lots of people excited in the reddest of states. that inspires the heck out of me. I hope we see more of that. Abrams might actually go to the mat. Boy, my heart could use some of that. win or lose it's nice to see somebody not backing down just because everybody wants her too.
so, I'm in a pretty good state of mind. the congress is no small thing. My Governor is not a right wing kook. still - I'm in a funk.
what's got me in a funk is the California Initiative Process. Each and EVERY proposition campaign that got MONEY pumped up it's butt went the way the most money went. Ambulance Drivers don't get paid uninterrupted breaks because they made really scary commercials. it looks to me like whoever has the most money and makes the scariest commercials wins in the California Initiative Process. I hope things are different where you live.

anyway, I'd like to see some new congressional leadership. I'd like America to meet the new Dem congressional majority on it's on terms. they can't do this with any leadership that TRUMP has already nick-named.
Last edited by Sneelock on 07 Nov 2018, 17:13, edited 2 times in total.
I am not a robot.