2018 Midterm Election Thread

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

2018 Midterm Election Thread

Postby Snarfyguy » 05 Nov 2018, 20:06

Trump's latest ad is officially too racist for Fox News, LOL

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/05/media/nb ... index.html

(I understand that the office of none other than Sheriff Joe Arpaio released this Bracamontes character, so the ad goes far beyond being merely misleading. https://reason.com/blog/2018/11/02/sher ... ant-killer)

Anyway, some white knuckle races upcoming tomorrow. I'm particularly anxious to see the despicable Brian Kemp ousted in Georgia, as I imagine the Count is as well. He appears to be up in the polls though.
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Re: 2018 Midterm Election Thread

Postby Count Machuki » 05 Nov 2018, 20:31

Snarfyguy wrote:
I'm particularly anxious to see the despicable Brian Kemp ousted in Georgia, as I imagine the Count is as well. He appears to be up in the polls though.

Oh, yes, he's the WORST. It helps that his opponent, Stacy Abrams is just fantastic - a proper progressive. Any other year she wouldn't stand a chance. I think this one's likely to go to a runoff election. There's a libertarian (when will they butt out?!) who's been polling at 3-4%, and you've got to have 50%+ to get the Governorship of the state. The race itself is so, so close I don't think either major candidate will get there.

This leaves plenty of time for Kemp to pull more shady tricks before a runoff election. :x
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 05 Nov 2018, 21:38

Good luck voting to all the US posters -- I hope you boot out as many Republicans as possible, especially the Trump ones

$P.Muff$

Postby $P.Muff$ » 06 Nov 2018, 15:19

Biked a mile to the Baptist church polling station. I was #146. Voted straight Democrat and NO on several lame conservative amendments to the state constitution - one about protecting the rights of the unborn. Fucking scumbags.

LeBaron
Diamond Geezer

Postby LeBaron » 06 Nov 2018, 15:21

Tactful Cactus wrote:Good luck voting to all the US posters -- I hope you boot out as many Republicans as possible, especially the Trump ones

I did it last week, though I voted for a handful of Republican judges.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 06 Nov 2018, 15:25

I voted on the second day of early voting. I didn't have to wait a long time in line, but it seemed like people were coming in regularly. I overheard some election workers there saying how surprised they were by the turnout for the first two days.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

LeBaron
Diamond Geezer

Postby LeBaron » 06 Nov 2018, 15:25

I’m trying not to be too optimistic about Beto O’Rourke. Where we live there is basically a sign in every other yard. [stating the obvious]To win, he needs to turn out shitloads of new voters. That’s the trouble with this state, the only people who vote reliably in numbers are the right wingers. They are totally outnumbered, but it’s the voters who matter![/stating the obvious]

We live in a liberal part of a liberal city and we’ve had a Republican in the House of Representatives for years now thanks to gerrymandering. It’s an open seat this year so I’m hoping that the Beto vote is at least enough to get us a Dem representative. We’ll see ...

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 06 Nov 2018, 15:40

All the best, US!
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

$P.Muff$

Postby $P.Muff$ » 06 Nov 2018, 15:48

One thing I found a bit disconcerting was that this time an electronic signature was required. I just voted in a special election and that wasn't the case. When the little old lady checked my I.D. and turned the sceen around for me to sign the window went down and she didn't know how to get it back up so another lady had to come over to fix it.

I did overhear a worker say there had been between 300 - 400 new registrations for this election in this area, though I suspect most of those are Trumpers.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 06 Nov 2018, 15:54

I voted by mail weeks ago. I hope every single Republican who is on the ballot loses and that we know most of the returns when I wake up tomorrow, if not tonight.
Coan wrote:'Vertigo' is one of the best things U2 have ever done, one of a handful of occasions where they get it just right. That bit near the end where the song lifts off? You don't get that with The Allman Brothers.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 06 Nov 2018, 16:05

I’m cautiously optimistic.

Mind you, I wouldn’t be surprised if the whole election turns out to be a clusterfuck of foreign interference and domestic voter suppression. But assuming nothing huge on those fronts...

I like the polling trends I’m seeing. I think Dems haves decent shot to win all of the close Senate seats with Gillum, Donnelly, McCaskill, Rosen, and Sinema. That’s a lot to ask, but all of those races are tipping Democrat today - and I think that a high turnout election will likely underpoll Democrats (mostly due to most pollsters reliance on landline telephone calls).

If the above happens, it will come down to Beto - and I’ve got a strange feeling that the underpolling there is larger than anywhere else.

I could be deeply wrong. I’m not predicting anything. I’m just feeling some hope today. Let’s see if it crashes down on my head tonight.
The opinions of this poster are subjective. That’s how opinions work.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 06 Nov 2018, 16:14

Katy Tur, who followed the Trump campaign for NBC, wrote a nice piece on the difference between an Obama rally and a Trump rally yesterday. A good, short read.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald ... ck-n931576
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 06 Nov 2018, 16:17

LeBaron wrote:thanks to gerrymandering.

I read somewhere that gerrymandering was going to be Obama's big post-presidential cause, with help from Eric Holder. I haven't heard anything in the news in the last year or so about it, so I don't know what's going on in the background, but this needs to be fixed.

I read these last year. Very interesting.

Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 06 Nov 2018, 16:23

ten years today since Obama was elected the first time. I only know that because it was also my number one grandson's birthday.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

LeBaron
Diamond Geezer

Postby LeBaron » 06 Nov 2018, 16:40

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:I think that a high turnout election will likely underpoll Democrats (mostly due to most pollsters reliance on landline telephone calls).

If the above happens, it will come down to Beto - and I’ve got a strange feeling that the underpolling there is larger than anywhere else.

That’s the hope!

It surely helps, in Beto’s case, that Ted Cruz is such a profoundly distasteful human.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 06 Nov 2018, 17:37

Yeah. I like the Richard Linklater ads. But a better ad would be a 30 second close-up of Cruz’s face.
The opinions of this poster are subjective. That’s how opinions work.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 06 Nov 2018, 18:54

Count Machuki wrote:
Snarfyguy wrote:
I'm particularly anxious to see the despicable Brian Kemp ousted in Georgia, as I imagine the Count is as well. He appears to be up in the polls though.

Oh, yes, he's the WORST. It helps that his opponent, Stacy Abrams is just fantastic - a proper progressive. Any other year she wouldn't stand a chance. I think this one's likely to go to a runoff election. There's a libertarian (when will they butt out?!) who's been polling at 3-4%, and you've got to have 50%+ to get the Governorship of the state. The race itself is so, so close I don't think either major candidate will get there.

This leaves plenty of time for Kemp to pull more shady tricks before a runoff election. :x

She might actually pull it off just based on UNLIKELY voters. Those that don't get polled. They've been her main focus in campaigning. I'm nervous as Hell about it.

More people than usual at my polling place this morning but no long lines. I think lots of folks voted early. Me, I have an irrational distrust of early/absentee/mail voting. I like to go on Election Day. I gave all my employees the day off - hopefully they're out doing the right thing.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 06 Nov 2018, 21:54

Question: did Donald Trump vote in this election?
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

$P.Muff$

Postby $P.Muff$ » 06 Nov 2018, 22:02

Snarfyguy wrote:Question: did Donald Trump vote in this election?

Apparently he voted early. He's registered in NY.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 06 Nov 2018, 22:51

$P.Muff$ wrote:
Snarfyguy wrote:Question: did Donald Trump vote in this election?

Apparently he voted early. He's registered in NY.

Did he vote early though, or is this the presumption?

I only wonder because he always makes a big show out of every little thing he does. Another thought is: I believe by law you must vote where your primary residence (i.e. the White House, for him) is. If he cast a ballot today, surely it would have been in the news.