in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Deebank
Resonator

Re: polyamor

Postby Deebank » 07 Nov 2018, 10:42

Toby wrote:
Deebank wrote:
Toby wrote:
Not many of those about though are there and none in the western sphere as we know it.

Not true, there are still bits of LDS (various Mormon and other religious sects) that have polygamy and there are probably thousands that practice it outside of religion - one way or another.

I suppose it depends on how 'formal' the relationships are. You probably know many people who have more than one partner after all.

In the context of the entire western world, I suspect it's about 0.000001% of the population or even less.

In the context of the whole world it is probably vanishingly small too.

I got the impression - and forgive me if that wasn't the intent - that you were making a distinction between the 'civilised' west and our benighted eastern friends. I suspect polygamy/polyamory is just as rare in the rest of the world.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Robert

Re: polyamory

Postby Robert » 07 Nov 2018, 14:17

Hold on lads, you're all still in the EU.There's no need to lapse into Victorian times, yet.

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 07 Nov 2018, 14:35

I'm The Slider.
It's what I do.
The Complete Beatles Mp3 set now available in the usual place, should you want one.

The Prof
Composing a revolutionary symphony

Postby The Prof » 07 Nov 2018, 14:50

Tom Waits For No One wrote:It’s changed a lot since I used to watch it with the kids.

Fewer colourful jumpers for a start and no Scottish accents.

dunno the programme but that looks like a young Miles Jupp.

driftin

Postby driftin » 07 Nov 2018, 15:38

RELD-LOMAX inc. wrote:
driftin wrote:I tried to but it got uncomfortable and I switched it off. Louis Theroux is excellent at doing that...

He's great, isn't he? asking the right questions, ever so politely, and then giving them SO much time to answer.

I've been a huge fan of him ever since the 90s when he was doing his weird weekends and was still a part of Adam & Joe. I'm so happy to see him get to this point making much more serious fare but still maintaining that aloof awkwardness which gets the best out of his subjects. It's far more insightful and entertaining than the direct approach, even if it really makes me squirm sometimes.

Earl E. Eel
hounds people off the board

Postby Earl E. Eel » 07 Nov 2018, 16:20

driftin wrote:
RELD-LOMAX inc. wrote:
driftin wrote:I tried to but it got uncomfortable and I switched it off. Louis Theroux is excellent at doing that...

He's great, isn't he? asking the right questions, ever so politely, and then giving them SO much time to answer.

I've been a huge fan of him ever since the 90s when he was doing his weird weekends and was still a part of Adam & Joe. I'm so happy to see him get to this point making much more serious fare but still maintaining that aloof awkwardness which gets the best out of his subjects. It's far more insightful and entertaining than the direct approach, even if it really makes me squirm sometimes.

I miss the Weird Weekends stuff and wish he'd find some more of those themes to explore. That was some of the best TV I've seen, and the progs were generally a lot more fun than with the rather po-faced worthy subjects he's broached over recent years. I still think he's a wonderful doc-maker tho'.
yomptepi wrote:Who in their right minds would voluntarily go to Wales?

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 07 Nov 2018, 17:05

The Prof wrote:
Tom Waits For No One wrote:It’s changed a lot since I used to watch it with the kids.

Fewer colourful jumpers for a start and no Scottish accents.

dunno the programme but that looks like a young Miles Jupp.

Well spotted - it is Jupp.

It’s toddlers’ fave Ballamory...
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Robert

Postby Robert » 07 Nov 2018, 18:13

The Slider wrote:I'm The Slider.
It's what I do.

Iwas already wondering what your insights would be! :lol:

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 07 Nov 2018, 23:39

I've retired.
I just said it out of habit
The Complete Beatles Mp3 set now available in the usual place, should you want one.