Old news

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Rayge

Old news

Postby Rayge » 05 Nov 2018, 08:59

I've been blathering on about this since the 1990s, but never before seen an article that agrees with me, and actually describes what happens.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2013/ ... lf-dobelli
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Re: Old news

Postby Loki » 05 Nov 2018, 09:58

People suffering with depression are usually advised not to watch/read the news. It's depressing! Seriously.

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

Earl E. Eel
hounds people off the board

Postby Earl E. Eel » 05 Nov 2018, 10:02

I don't know why anyone needs to know about most of the stuff that makes headlines. It doesn't benefit you to know that someone famous has committed fraud on a major scale, or that several people have died in a train crash somewhere. But people feel an urge to be 'updated', and they hate to be thought of as 'ignorant'.
GoogaMooga wrote:you have to look to the Dutch licensee, Disky

I've got more Disky product

a label like Dutch Disky

One comp to avoid, though, is Disky's "Best of the 70's"

Normally, Disky are clever at repackaging

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 05 Nov 2018, 10:30

I agree with a lot of the article, but I think the proposed solution is too extreme. I'd rather be far more selective in controlling my exposure to news.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 05 Nov 2018, 10:38

I still browse the headlines but that’s about it. I stopped watching the news on the telly years ago and immediately felt better for it: less anxious, less confused, less irritated. Why was I watching it when it was just making me angry? Why was I watching David Cameron’s face when my inability to punch him simply made me feel powerless?

I understand the desire to be informed but, like the article says, I think that’s sometimes an illusion. When I look at people who clearly do follow the news I rarely see them as more balanced. On the contrary, it seems to have the opposite effect. It warps them and they seem angrier and more pissed off than ever. Why bother? Some see it as a moral too which I find a bit odd. There is something masochistic about it all.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 05 Nov 2018, 19:42

Goat Boy wrote:I still browse the headlines but that’s about it. I stopped watching the news on the telly years ago and immediately felt better for it: less anxious, less confused, less irritated. Why was I watching it when it was just making me angry? Why was I watching David Cameron’s face when my inability to punch him simply made me feel powerless?

I understand the desire to be informed but, like the article says, I think that’s sometimes an illusion. When I look at people who clearly do follow the news I rarely see them as more balanced. On the contrary, it seems to have the opposite effect. It warps them and they seem angrier and more pissed off than ever. Why bother? Some see it as a moral too which I find a bit odd. There is something masochistic about it all.

Do you think it matters if we're informed? Does it matter whether we know much about Syria or not? I find it quite a complex question, or perhaps dilemma.

The Prof
Composing a revolutionary symphony

Postby The Prof » 05 Nov 2018, 19:45

I'm not sure ignorance about world affairs would make me happier.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 05 Nov 2018, 20:04

Goat Boy wrote:II stopped watching the news on the telly years ago and immediately felt better for it: less anxious, less confused, less irritated. Why was I watching it when it was just making me angry? Why was I watching David Cameron’s face when my inability to punch him simply made me feel powerless?

Me too. Some time in the early 1990s. It wasn't anger with me. It was just a litany of horror, bloodshed and disaster, and being presented with it, in high resolution and in colour, day after day, image after image of suffering and despair that you've been watching for decades, with only the details, and the names of the nameless dead, changing, as the death circus went on tour from war to earthquake to famine and back again via some act of insane and random violence. There's always someone somewhere oppressing and attempting to slaughter someone else, and some poor sods suffering horribly from this or that, and there's almost always nothing you can do about it at all and a news watching habit means you either have to get numb and desensitized, or live with a continual level of background stress, perhaps become a disaster junkie. Or turn off the drip-feed and let the adrenaline levels subside. Which I did, accounting for my great wisdom and balance of mind.

Goat Boy wrote:Some see it as a moral too which I find a bit odd.

' a moral duty' or 'amoral'? :?:
Last edited by Rayge on 05 Nov 2018, 20:12, edited 1 time in total.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Robert

Postby Robert » 05 Nov 2018, 20:08

The Prof wrote:I'm not sure ignorance about world affairs would make me happier.

Me neither. Am quite happy to get daily reminders
how futile & unheroic my existence is.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 05 Nov 2018, 20:34

I've become more interested in the news as I've gotten older (it's been a very gradual process), and have found personally that, far from aggravating my depressive tendencies, it has made me feel more engaged with the outside world - for which I am grateful.

I realize that others' mileage may vary, and I'm fine with that.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 05 Nov 2018, 20:36

The Modernist wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:I still browse the headlines but that’s about it. I stopped watching the news on the telly years ago and immediately felt better for it: less anxious, less confused, less irritated. Why was I watching it when it was just making me angry? Why was I watching David Cameron’s face when my inability to punch him simply made me feel powerless?

Do you think it matters if we're informed? Does it matter whether we know much about Syria or not? I find it quite a complex question, or perhaps dilemma.

No I don't. Are "we" informed now? I couldn't tell you hardly anything about what's going on in Syria and what difference would it make if I or "we" were informed anyway? I mean really? That sounds apathetic but what you gonna do? Truthfully and I'm being honest here I have no real interest in Syria. And even if we do try to read all this news how "informed" are we really considering how we process this information and filter it through our cognitive biases and so on like the article points out. Ahhhh but the point is to still Try I can hear someone say and I get that but...

The arguments For seem pretty vague to me.

It's bad to be ignorant about world affairs. But why? How about if you have no interest in Syria but are focused on what's happening locally? Is that better or worse? Is there more chance of you doing something that actually impacts on somebody if you are actually ignoring all that foreign stuff and looking at your own street? Is your focus on The Big Things (Syria, Trump, Israel) part of the "problem" rather than the solution? is it merely a distraction on some level? People like to feel that they are doing something but just being informed isn't really doing fuck all at all, is it?

I dunno.

I think some people believe that if enough people are "informed" then we can change things (raise consciousness or some shit) but by and large we can't. It's a fallacy but maybe a necessary one for some people to believe in because they feel a sense of empowerment and hope.

I think John's point is valid. We think of ourselves as smart and intelligent so being informed is seen as desirable partly just because it improves our standing amongst our peers. Well bully for us. Have 5 Facebook likes. I feel a bit better now! There's an intellectual snobbery there too. I've felt this myself when I was younger and all puffed up on my own self importance. "Oh you moron, you don't know about Israel". Etc. So fucking what? Maybe the moron is really nice to old people, ken?

I think on some level too it's a guilt thing. We live decent lives compared to all these poor bastards in some war zone or whatever and by showing an interest it's an attempt to assuage that guilt. Which makes it sound quite selfish perhaps but it's just people being people.

Like I said, when I look at people, including some on here, who do seem to take a real interest in the news and certain stories I don't think it's doing them any good frankly. When I switched the news off I felt better and I was able to direct myself towards more positive things in my life.

In short, I think, don't get too bothered by all of the above. Accept our shortcomings and focus on the wee things you can that make the world a little bit more pleasant. Be nice to people in the street, hold doors open for folks and say hi to the occasional stranger. Give money to homeless people if you have a spare few coins and don't drop litter. If some old dear is taking a fucking aeon in the supermarket queue try and show some patience. Pick up your dogs turds, too, that's VERY IMPORTANT.

Man, that was a load of fucking waffle.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 05 Nov 2018, 20:46

The Prof wrote:I'm not sure ignorance about world affairs would make me happier.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
You don't like me...do you?

The Prof

Postby The Prof » 05 Nov 2018, 21:02

Only 4 smiley faces? You do this every few days. I’m dissapointed not to get 5 or 6.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 05 Nov 2018, 21:07

The Prof wrote:Only 4 smiley faces? You do this every few days. I’m dissapointed not to get 5 or 6.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nazi Punks, Nazi Punks, Nazi Punks, Fuck Off

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

The Prof

Postby The Prof » 05 Nov 2018, 22:23

That’s more like it!

Thanks.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 07 Nov 2018, 06:19

The Borg = ignorant
The Rest = read the news.

That's all, folks!
“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 07 Nov 2018, 07:22

:?

Earl E. Eel

Postby Earl E. Eel » 07 Nov 2018, 09:05

He changed 'Politburo' to 'Borg' but it still makes no sense.

Par for the course, mind.

a label like Dutch Disky

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 07 Nov 2018, 09:19

RELD-LOMAX inc. wrote:He changed 'Politburo' to 'Borg' but it still makes no sense.

Par for the course, mind.

Oh contraire - the fact you've responded suggests it does.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”

Earl E. Eel

Postby Earl E. Eel » 07 Nov 2018, 09:21

Diamond Dog wrote:Oh contraire

:lol: :lol: :lol:

a label like Dutch Disky