Facebook Special Report on Frontline

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
sloopjohnc

Facebook Special Report on Frontline

Postby sloopjohnc » 30 Oct 2018, 16:59

I don't know if anyone watched the first part, but is anyone watching the special report about Facebook on Frontline?

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/arti ... a-dilemma/

The first part focused on Facebook's rise and how Facebook only saw themselves as a social network and never a gatekeeper of information. It does not paint COO, Sheryl Sandberg, in a positive light, as she was the person who pressed to get profits up any way possible as they were leveling off before the IPO.

The way they did that was to give all the third party developers and advertisers access to user info - any info they wanted. Facebook says they have curbed this practice, but I bet they haven't. It also tells how they're barely holding on to the tail of the data dragon they've unleashed. It's why I never play any of their games or do those stupid quizzes. It's just a data suck.

It also goes into Facebook's influence into Arab Spring and privacy laws. The second part is tonight.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Sneelock

Re: Facebook Special Report on Frontline

Postby Sneelock » 30 Oct 2018, 17:15

Missed it. Thanks for the heads up.
I am not a robot.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 30 Oct 2018, 17:16

I’ll watch the second part first and the first part second. I’m cool that way.
I am not a robot.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 30 Oct 2018, 17:32

So you rip off an app to rate girls based on their appearance and the next thing you know...

What a shithead.
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 30 Oct 2018, 20:09

Sneelock wrote:I’ll watch the second part first and the first part second. I’m cool that way.

I drove by the Facebook campus today on the way to and from the dentist.

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 30 Oct 2018, 21:27

Snarfyguy wrote:What a shithead

...is right. Reading a few articles on Facebook and Twitter censorship - here's one, for example - and you can't help but think that this guy isn't quite the genius he was made out to be once upon a time. A savant, maybe, or a guy who was at the right place and time and (as you say) took someone else's idea and ran with it. But that they're in this position, where they didn't foresee the consequences of their own behemoths and are now scurrying behind to do cleanup, really belies the "genius" shtick and shows how little real-life experience they've had outside of their little college-kid bubble. I mean, really - they thought that everyone would be nice to each other on the Internet? Just put this stuff out there, and people can come together, and boy, that will be NEAT-O! It's not as if a bunch of assholes actually exist and will have the same access, where they can use their anonymity to get even nastier, maybe even dangerous?

But there again, when you're talking about public platforms where 25% of Facebook accounts were deleted this year, and Twitter deletes one million fake accounts every day... who are these people talking to? Maybe someone has created a "twitter mob bot" that sends out death threats and arranges for thousands of non-existent people to gather for all sorts of non-existent mayhem... really, it's just so ridiculous. The real winners here are the ones who bought stock in Facebook and Twitter when they started, watched the value reach the sky, then sold off all the stock just before the world realized what a joke it was. From the looks of it, the people who own these companies didn't see any of this coming, so they pranked themselves. Never give a Zucker an even break!

I love Dave Chappelle's Twitter story here:

"Quite."

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 30 Oct 2018, 23:58

sloopjohnc wrote:
Sneelock wrote:I’ll watch the second part first and the first part second. I’m cool that way.

Can I have your autograph?
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 31 Oct 2018, 05:30

sloopjohnc wrote:I don't know if anyone watched the first part, but is anyone watching the special report about Facebook on Frontline?

The first part focused on Facebook's rise and how Facebook only saw themselves as a social network and never a gatekeeper of information. It does not paint COO, Sheryl Sandberg, in a positive light, as she was the person who pressed to get profits up any way possible as they were leveling off before the IPO.

The way they did that was to give all the third party developers and advertisers access to user info - any info they wanted. Facebook says they have curbed this practice, but I bet they haven't. It also tells how they're barely holding on to the tail of the data dragon they've unleashed. It's why I never play any of their games or do those stupid quizzes. It's just a data suck.

It also goes into Facebook's influence into Arab Spring and privacy laws. The second part is tonight.

An enlightening autopsy of the company and the dilemmas it's wrought but the Russia! detour the doc took - assuming the Ukrainian revolution was benign when it was in fact funded and prompted by the US - is anti-Russia propaganda. For sure, events may have been exasperated by FB, but it wasn't all Russia! as the doc indicates. You can bet there was some FB disinfo coming from our side as well. IMO the entire doc was made not to show the workings of FB but to get this anti-Russia disinformation out. As of now the Russian "troll farmers" are awaiting their day in a US court to clear their names.
Some say the glass is half-empty others half-full. I say. "Lemme see that glass!"

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 31 Oct 2018, 18:39

harvey k-tel wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:

Can I have your autograph?

Follow me on Twitter.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 31 Oct 2018, 18:40

Jimbo wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:I don't know if anyone watched the first part, but is anyone watching the special report about Facebook on Frontline?

An enlightening autopsy of the company and the dilemmas it's wrought but the Russia! detour the doc took - assuming the Ukrainian revolution was benign when it was in fact funded and prompted by the US - is anti-Russia propaganda. For sure, events may have been exasperated by FB, but it wasn't all Russia! as the doc indicates. You can bet there was some FB disinfo coming from our side as well. IMO the entire doc was made not to show the workings of FB but to get this anti-Russia disinformation out. As of now the Russian "troll farmers" are awaiting their day in a US court to clear their names.

I disagree with almost your entire response.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 31 Oct 2018, 18:46

I thought it was outstanding and showed why we are a Nation of Jimbos.
I am not a robot.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 31 Oct 2018, 20:03

Sneelock wrote:I thought it was outstanding and showed why we are a Nation of Jimbos.

Fitting for Halloween. Which makes me wonder why the paranoid, gullible alt-news, conspiracy horror movie genre never took hold.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 31 Oct 2018, 20:07

sloopjohnc wrote:
Sneelock wrote:I thought it was outstanding and showed why we are a Nation of Jimbos.

Fitting for Halloween. Which makes me wonder why the paranoid, gullible alt-news, conspiracy horror movie genre never took hold.

Isn't that The Purge?

(I've never seen it)
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 31 Oct 2018, 21:54

Count Machuki wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:

Isn't that The Purge?

(I've never seen it)