Uncool stuff

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Uncool stuff

Postby Toby » 26 Oct 2018, 11:00

40 years later they have 500 shops worldwide and a market cap of $1 billion.

I was, for my sins, a "Warhammer twat" in my early teens before I discovered music. Fair play to them though - it's an amazing success.

Fonz

Re: Uncool stuff

Postby Fonz » 26 Oct 2018, 11:22

I played D&D,38 years ago. It was cool. I was too young to get any romance.
Ironically, I thought that dungeons and dragons-style music was shit then.

Love it now. (Dio, Rainbow, Maiden etc)
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 26 Oct 2018, 13:12

It was ca. 1980, and I met this American teen-ager who raved about D & D. "There are seven stages of hell", he muttered, and I was intrigued. So I borrowed his book of rules, a fat hardcover tome, and skimmed it. Way too much info, and NO board. Bollocks to that, I thought. Never got started.
1966 and all that

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 26 Oct 2018, 14:12

My friends and I did try getting into Warhammer when we were about 13; we bought some of the figures and a couple of people did all the painting stuff, but then when someone got hold of the actual game none of us could be arsed with all the rules and permutations and all that nonsense so we jacked it in and started playing football again.
Copehead wrote:I have met Gruff Rhys - although he claimed he wasn't and that he couldn't speak Welsh, as I spoke to him in Welsh, but it was him lying bastard.

Earl E. Eel
hounds people off the board

Postby Earl E. Eel » 26 Oct 2018, 14:17

I spent all my early teenage years sitting in my bedroom typing BASIC programs from computer magazines into my VIC 20 :(
GoogaMooga wrote:you have to look to the Dutch licensee, Disky

I've got more Disky product

a label like Dutch Disky

One comp to avoid, though, is Disky's "Best of the 70's"

Normally, Disky are clever at repackaging

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 26 Oct 2018, 14:18

I had a very brief fling with D&D in grade 9, but I think I thought that all the paraphernalia that went along with the game was more interesting than the game itself. I'm pretty sure I only ever played once, with some guys in a classroom after school and I just didn't get into it.

A 20-sided die, though? Hell yeah! That's cool shit right there.

If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 26 Oct 2018, 14:19

space. invadere wrote:I spent all my early teenage years sitting in my bedroom typing BASIC programs from computer magazines into my VIC 20 :(

I did that too, except that my dad was into it as well, and when I wasn't trying to create a "choose your own adventure" type game, he was making programs to choose lottery numbers and figure out mortgage amortizations.

Earl E. Eel

Postby Earl E. Eel » 26 Oct 2018, 14:22

profitable?

a label like Dutch Disky

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 26 Oct 2018, 14:25

Never. I only got rid of my Vic 20 earlier this year (I mean, it had been sitting in a box since 1985 or so, but still...)

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 26 Oct 2018, 14:28

harvey k-tel wrote:I had a very brief fling with D&D in grade 9, but I think I thought that all the paraphernalia that went along with the game was more interesting than the game itself. I'm pretty sure I only ever played once, with some guys in a classroom after school and I just didn't get into it.

It was all so action-free! With Warhammer you bought all these elves with big fuck-off swords and there was a massive orc army on the front of the book and then when you sat down to play the game all that happened was that you put them all on the table, rolled a die and your mate told you whether you'd died or not. Like playing Yahtzee except with Space Demons.
Copehead wrote:I have met Gruff Rhys - although he claimed he wasn't and that he couldn't speak Welsh, as I spoke to him in Welsh, but it was him lying bastard.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 26 Oct 2018, 14:34

I collected stamps from between the ages of about 10-13. I used to like the designs and colours.
Never got into D & D and didn't know anyone who did...maybe I'm too old to have caught its first wave. By the time I'd heard of it, it was something to take the piss out of.

Earl E. Eel

Postby Earl E. Eel » 26 Oct 2018, 14:47

The Modernist wrote:I collected stamps from between the ages of about 10-13. I used to like the designs and colours.

So did I! Stanley Gibbons took a lot of my pocket money...

Some of those designs were beautiful. The old Czechslovakian things, I remember especially.

a label like Dutch Disky

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 26 Oct 2018, 14:52

space. invadere wrote:
The Modernist wrote:I collected stamps from between the ages of about 10-13. I used to like the designs and colours.

So did I! Stanley Gibbons took a lot of my pocket money...

Some of those designs were beautiful. The old Czechslovakian things, I remember especially.

And Hungarian ones, you always got loads of them in the packet. They'd say "Magya" on them. I would go up The Strand to buy them, back then they had about seven different shops there just selling stamps. Can you believe that!

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 26 Oct 2018, 14:53

There something hilarious about your new avator btw. I don't know why, it just makes me laugh.

Earl E. Eel

Postby Earl E. Eel » 26 Oct 2018, 15:02

It's shocking, isn't it? taken from the sleeve of a Ringo single from the 80s.

More here:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/r ... 55/page-20

a label like Dutch Disky

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 26 Oct 2018, 15:18

]
The Modernist wrote:Never got into D & D and didn't know anyone who did...maybe I'm too old to have caught its first wave. By the time I'd heard of it, it was something to take the piss out of.

I suspect people like you were the bane of my life when I was 14. I gave up at about 22 when raving pretty much took over, but I’m sort of ready to go back to it now, particularly as my son is approaching the age when he can get into it. As an alternative to the digital norm, a social occasion and brilliant use of the imagination, I think it’s terrific. It’s just a shame that I had to endure a few years being into something “secretive” to avoid being taken the piss out of. Oh well, character building I guess.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 26 Oct 2018, 15:20

PENK wrote:
harvey k-tel wrote:I had a very brief fling with D&D in grade 9, but I think I thought that all the paraphernalia that went along with the game was more interesting than the game itself. I'm pretty sure I only ever played once, with some guys in a classroom after school and I just didn't get into it.

It was all so action-free! With Warhammer you bought all these elves with big fuck-off swords and there was a massive orc army on the front of the book and then when you sat down to play the game all that happened was that you put them all on the
table, rolled a die and your mate told you whether you'd died or not. Like playing Yahtzee except with Space Demons.

The huge issue with all Games Workshop products, which in fairness is their business model, is that you have to buy loads of stuff to make it worthwhile.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 26 Oct 2018, 15:33

Toby wrote:]
The Modernist wrote:Never got into D & D and didn't know anyone who did...maybe I'm too old to have caught its first wave. By the time I'd heard of it, it was something to take the piss out of.

I suspect people like you were the bane of my life when I was 14. I gave up at about 22 when raving pretty much took over, but I’m sort of ready to go back to it now, particularly as my son is approaching the age when he can get into it. As an alternative to the digital norm, a social occasion and brilliant use of the imagination, I think it’s terrific. It’s just a shame that I had to endure a few years being into something “secretive” to avoid being taken the piss out of. Oh well, character building I guess.

22? Fucking 22??

FUCKIN HELLFIRE
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 26 Oct 2018, 15:37

PENK wrote:

It was all so action-free! With Warhammer you bought all these elves with big fuck-off swords and there was a massive orc army on the front of the book and then when you sat down to play the game all that happened was that you put them all on the table, rolled a die and your mate told you whether you'd died or not. Like playing Yahtzee except with Space Demons.

I went through a period when I bought some of the figures just so I could paint 'em but I never got round to actually playing a game. I used to buy some of the Warhammer mags as well but just for the art really. It all seemed rather unfathomable. I did attempt D&D but it was shit. Besides, I had a SNES and a Megadrive so...
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 26 Oct 2018, 15:49

I had a D&D phase in my early teens, it was sort of the most affordable game there is. Buy some dice, buy one of the game-books/pamphlets/whatever the fuck they were, then come up with your own shit for the cost of paper and pencils. I don't remember seeing Warhammer shops till much later in life, and I must admit, I've got very little idea about what they sell or how they exist. Isn't it just figures to paint or something? I've never stepped foot in one.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.