Megyn Kelly fired by NBC

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Re: Megyn Kelly fired by NBC

Postby Snarfyguy » 28 Oct 2018, 18:45

I'm not sure I understand the significance. Some animatronic headline-reader is getting replaced.

It's not like she's Edward R. Murrow or Ernie Pyle.
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

TG

Postby TG » 28 Oct 2018, 19:27

Snarfyguy wrote:I'm not sure I understand the significance. Some animatronic headline-reader is getting replaced.

It's not like she's Edward R. Murrow or Ernie Pyle.

She has more in common with Gomer Pyle.
Jeff K wrote:Not at all. I love TG. I might be the only one on BCB who does but I don't care.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 29 Oct 2018, 16:14

TG wrote:I honestly never knew that was Joni on the album cover. I’m familiar with it but don’t own it and apparently never looked very closely. It’s an odd choice.

There are certainly other examples including Robert Downey, Jr. in Tropic Thunder a few years back. I guess that occasionally there’s ‘blackface’ and then there’s ‘blackface’. But it’s been frowned upon for all of my life.

Billy Crystal playing Sammy Davis Junior, is another one. these weren't near as remarked upon as you would expect -- I think that's because there is context to the way they used it. these are "homages" one way or the other. there's a white girl who dressed up as Harriet Tubman because she likes to dress up as notable women. somebody had the sense not to put her in blackface but clearly this is a different intention to what most white teenagers are doing when they show up at white Halloween parties in blackface.

social media has shined a light on how frequently this still happens but Megyn is right that it's happened for years. where I think she's spectacularly wrong is in thinking it was okay because she didn't hear anybody complain about it. white teenagers don't have a problem with white teenagers in blackface. that Megyn Kelly makes a living as a journalist and is so uninterested in what people think outside her comfort zone should be very troubling to us all. I mean, even after this she will continue to pull down many zeroes in her paycheck. will she become more interested in others opinions as time goes on? one can only hope.
Last edited by Sneelock on 29 Oct 2018, 16:30, edited 1 time in total.
I am not a robot.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 29 Oct 2018, 16:27

oh, there's something else I still want to say about this.
I think there is a good case to be made that Megyn Kelly was hired largely because of her views rather than in spite of them.

Ever hear of a guy named Erik Erikson? He was on "Meet the Press" this weekend talking about how we need a more civil debate in the shadow of that synagogue shooting. we need civil debate - well, who is going to argue with that? there's only one problem with this. Erik Erikson has a long, disgusting and recent history of engaging in incendiary rhetoric. why have a guy like that on to talk about this? is the thinking that he's not going to engage in that sort of thing any more? doubtful.

I think there is an effort afoot to mainstream extreme views as normal. look at how things are going for Steve Bannon. look at what just happened in Brazil. How are people talking about it?
I am not a robot.

Phenomenal Cat
death on four legs

Postby Phenomenal Cat » 29 Oct 2018, 16:44

By 1979, Sambo's had 1,117 outlets in 47 American states. By 1982, Sambo's was gone.
But somehow when you smile, I can brave bad weather.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 29 Oct 2018, 16:50

Sambos will rise again! ;)
I am not a robot.