Megyn Kelly fired by NBC

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
sloopjohnc

Megyn Kelly fired by NBC

Postby sloopjohnc » 25 Oct 2018, 22:42

This should be right up Coan's alley.

Megyn Kelly, NBC talk show host, wondered the other day why dressing up in blackface for Halloween was so bad. She had to apologize the next day.

NBC hired Kelly from Fox News for $269 million. They set her up against the venerable 60 Minutes on Sunday and her show fell flat.

I don't think they should've fired her after her apology and I think it was an excuse because she wasn't drawing ratings. I do find it hard to believe that she didn't understand what blackface means to african-americans and how it reinforced stereotypes. I wondered how funny she might think it would be if someone dressed up as a drunken Irishman on Halloween (last name, Kelly, remember) and didn't equate her ancestors struggles with blacks - No Dogs, No Blacks, No Irish - for example.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Hightea

Re: Megyn Kelly fired by NBC

Postby Hightea » 25 Oct 2018, 22:45

they were looking for an excuse to fire her her ratings did fit the salary.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 25 Oct 2018, 22:46

Hightea wrote:they were looking for an excuse to fire her her ratings did fit the salary.

And she handed it to them on a silver platter.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 26 Oct 2018, 00:16

here's something to think about. did they hire her in spite of her opinions or because of them? Megyn Kelly's record of saying jaw-droppingly insensitive things is as long as the missing link's arm. either NBC didn't know about her opinions, didn't care about them or knew about them and wanted to see what would happen.

who knows? a year from now or a year earlier this might have gotten the "PC POLICE" treatment.

Here's my theory - NBC knew what they were getting but it's not the Golden Goose they were hoping for.
I'd love to break out into a rendition of "Glad to See You Go" but I know she ain't going nowhere. somebody else will snatch her up and she'll say another jackass thing before you know it.

nice work if you can get it.
I am not a robot.

$P.Muff$

Postby $P.Muff$ » 26 Oct 2018, 00:30

She was hired because there was initially a bit of general public goodwill directed towards her after the Trump remarks and I assume they thought she would easily adapt to a more mainstream audience.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 26 Oct 2018, 00:35

I think they thought racism was coming back in a big way and she would be a hot property
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

$P.Muff$

Postby $P.Muff$ » 26 Oct 2018, 00:39

Hell, even I felt a little bad for her after listening to her Fresh Air interview.

Phenomenal Cat
death on four legs

Postby Phenomenal Cat » 26 Oct 2018, 00:56

bobzilla77 wrote:I think they thought racism was coming back in a big way and she would be a hot property

Her views on Santa Claus were bang on.
But somehow when you smile, I can brave bad weather.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 26 Oct 2018, 06:11

I think what got me most was that she was implying that blackface was alright during her youth (40 years ago approximately) so that means it's okay now? The refusal to think beyond that and when blackface started - and why- appears to have completely escaped her. And that attitudes and enlightenment have happened in that 40 year period also seems to have voided her head.

As Snee says though - she's not worried. Some other news outlet will be along to snap her up very soon, I'm sure.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 26 Oct 2018, 16:54

$P.Muff$ wrote:She was hired because there was initially a bit of general public goodwill directed towards her after the Trump remarks and I assume they thought she would easily adapt to a more mainstream audience.

That's it exactly. I thought she could make the transition, but alas, she has all the time in the world now to perfect her Diana Ross halloween costume and dress her kids up as the Supremes.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 26 Oct 2018, 22:57

Megyn Kelly for Press Secretary
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

TG

Postby TG » 27 Oct 2018, 03:24

Diamond Dog wrote:I think what got me most was that she was implying that blackface was alright during her youth (40 years ago approximately) so that means it's okay now? The refusal to think beyond that and when blackface started - and why- appears to have completely escaped her. And that attitudes and enlightenment have happened in that 40 year period also seems to have voided her head.

As Snee says though - she's not worried. Some other news outlet will be along to snap her up very soon, I'm sure.

I’m 61 years old and blackface hasn’t been alright during my life. 40 years ago was 1978! There was no way blackface could have been considered acceptable here during that year or that decade by any but the most cracker-fied, redneck, hillbilly, backwoods motherfuckers. Maybe she’s that. Maybe she grew up there-wherever that is.

She’s a disgrace.
Jeff K wrote:Not at all. I love TG. I might be the only one on BCB who does but I don't care.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 27 Oct 2018, 09:15

TG wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:I think what got me most was that she was implying that blackface was alright during her youth (40 years ago approximately) so that means it's okay now? The refusal to think beyond that and when blackface started - and why- appears to have completely escaped her. And that attitudes and enlightenment have happened in that 40 year period also seems to have voided her head.

I’m 61 years old and blackface hasn’t been alright during my life. 40 years ago was 1978! There was no way blackface could have been considered acceptable here during that year or that decade by any but the most cracker-fied, redneck, hillbilly, backwoods motherfuckers. Maybe she’s that. Maybe she grew up there-wherever that is.

She’s a disgrace.

Well I hope you're right TG but.... Joni released this in 1977 and I absolutely do not recall any horror or outrage at the time.

I mean I love Joni but that cover still chills me to the core.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 27 Oct 2018, 09:35

Diamond Dog wrote:
TG wrote:

She’s a disgrace.

Well I hope you're right TG but.... Joni released this in 1977 and I absolutely do not recall any horror or outrage at the time.

God yeah, that colour scheme is horrific!
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

gash’s trollish obsession
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby gash’s trollish obsession » 27 Oct 2018, 09:37

Wait until you hear the record :(
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...yet it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce, didn't it?

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 27 Oct 2018, 09:45

The Stasi are up early today.

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 27 Oct 2018, 09:48

TG wrote:I’m 61 years old and blackface hasn’t been alright during my life. 40 years ago was 1978!

I don't know about America in 1978 but in the UK/Ireland "golliwogs" and black & white minstrel shows were still perfectly acceptable in 70's and 80's. I remember TV variety shows featuring blackface minstrels and the biggest tea brand featured them in their branding. Its uncomfortable now but back then there was no question of whether it was appropriate or not.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 27 Oct 2018, 11:16

the bile flowing wrote:Wait until you hear the record :(

Poor Pete
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

TG

Postby TG » 28 Oct 2018, 01:41

Diamond Dog wrote:

I honestly never knew that was Joni on the album cover. I’m familiar with it but don’t own it and apparently never looked very closely. It’s an odd choice.

There are certainly other examples including Robert Downey, Jr. in Tropic Thunder a few years back. I guess that occasionally there’s ‘blackface’ and then there’s ‘blackface’. But it’s been frowned upon for all of my life.
Jeff K wrote:Not at all. I love TG. I might be the only one on BCB who does but I don't care.

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 28 Oct 2018, 01:04

I didn’t realise that was Joni either, although it’s not an album I’ve spent a lot of time with.

It appears that Joni liked to identify herself pretty closely with black culture. She appears to have been given a pass here:

Joni Mitchell

by Evelyn White
Herizons
June 2010

As a black woman raised against the backdrop of the U.S. civil rights movement, the songs of Aretha Franklin, Nina Simone and James Brown, were and remain, central to my identity. But I was also wowed by flower power hits such as "Our House" and "Woodstock" by Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young.

To be sure, I'd heard of Joni Mitchell. But Odetta was the folksinger that reigned in my blue-collar, black neighbourhood. I was amazed to discover, decades after the release of the Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young tune, that Mitchell had composed the iconic "I came upon a child of God" anthem and inspired Graham Nash to craft the "two cats in the yard" harmonics that helped define a generation.

Then came the shock of reading a 1990s article about Joni Mitchell that appeared, if memory serves, in Vibe magazine. The context? A major music-industry soiree in Los Angeles. As the reporter told it, Mitchell dismissed the glitzy gathering, noting that she had been "the only brother in the house."

That's right, the blonde, Saskatoon-raised artist likened herself to a black male performer. Now that I'm better versed in Mitchell's extraordinary life and career, her self-assessment seems less audacious.

Indeed, Mitchell's respect for black culture - from traditional African rhythms to slick urban hip-hop moves - courses throughout the The Fiddle and The Drum. The rightly celebrated dance work, first performed in 2008, showcases Mitchell's music and multi-media designs. In doing so, the piece offers a hard-hitting but ultimately ennobling meditation on war, love and global destruction.

Program notes reveal that during rehearsals, Mitchell exhorted the predominately white Alberta ballet to "find the Afro-American groove" in her work, coaching its members to respond to "the saxophone's entry into the score here, the guitar refrain there, the voice."

As I watched the performance in Victoria (a cultural component of the Winter Games in Vancouver), I was mindful that the cover of her album Don Juan's Reckless Daughter (1977) features an image of an Afro-coiffed Mitchell dressed as her reputed alter ego, a black hipster named Art Nouveau.

Her 1979 album Mingus stands as a landmark project with the eccentric black jazz bassist Charles Mingus (1922 - 1979). River: The Joni Letters garnered for pianist/composer Herbie Hancock the 2008 Grammy Award for the best album of the year. Then there's Mitchell's oft-voiced appreciation of "Trouble Man." It's a gutsy musician of any race who'd dare to sing the signature Marvin Gaye soul tune. YouTube shows Mitchell letting it rip before a live audience.

An intriguing portrait of Mitchell can be found in the new book, Will You Take Me as I Am: Joni Mitchell's Blue Period, by Michelle Mercer. A mesmerizing mélange of memoir, biography, interviews and criticism, it takes its title from Mitchell's song "California," from her acclaimed 1971 release Blue. In the opening pages, Mercer details the importance of Blue, which includes "River," "A Case of You," and "Carey."

"I wanted to lie next to someone who experienced the same ravishment of self-reflection when he listened [to Blue]," she writes. "A soul mate would hear the ingenuity of Joni's chords, the novelty of her song structure. ... Was the powerof her words and music animating new reaches in him?"

Mercer notes that Mitchell has found disconcerting the impact of Blue on her career. "Everything was compared unfavourably to Blue," Mitchell explained. "They wanted me to stay in that tortured way. I peeled myself down to the bone, there was no place left to go. I had to start building up and healing myself and looking outward."

On that note, Mitchell, who is now 66 and has been an unrepentant smoker since age nine, cites tobacco as a positive influence on her craft. "It's a focusing drug," she told Mercer. "Everybody should be forced to smoke."

As for her enduring alliance with blacks, Mitchell responds with her trademark candour: "They're my best audience. The 'Joni Mitchell, she don't lie school'." Central to her truth-telling is the fact that the pride of Saskatchewan has never distanced herself from visible minorities. Consider the video projections of a black male soldier and a traditional Aboriginal mask that appear in The Fiddle and The Drum.

Behold, by Mitchell's masterful design, the luminous image of her face, in both.

Evelyn C. White is the author of Alice Walker: A Life and Every Goodbye Ain't Gone: A Photo Narrative of Black Heritage on Salt Spring Island.