Plant based meat alternatives

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Robert

Plant based meat alternatives

Postby Robert » 23 Oct 2018, 22:22

Come on! Why? I am all for vegetarian meals but why would you need a look/taste-a-like alternative to a steak/meatball/ or chicken pieces?

I am on a mission to try them all but sofar, unless there’s heavy cheese involved, they are revoltingly unmeat-like and closer to the taste of wet paper than genuine food.

Are there any of these that make sense or is it better to stick to dishes that were designed meatless?

algroth

Re: Plant based meat alternatives

Postby algroth » 23 Oct 2018, 23:34

I like some veggie burgers and milanesas and the likes, but I would probably say that I try not to think of "meat alternatives" as actual replacements for meats. I just have them as their own separate thing, really.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 24 Oct 2018, 00:41

The Bay Area is big on companies creating meat alternatives.

There's Memphis Meats: http://www.memphismeats.com

Impossible Foods: https://impossiblefoods.com

Finless Foods: https://finlessfoods.com

Beyond Meat: https://beyondmeat.com
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Dayodead

Postby Dayodead » 24 Oct 2018, 00:47

Beyond and Impossible make really good alternatives...Beyond has really good Sausages and Impossible is as close to beef as you are going to get...(You can only get impossible in certain restaurants at the moment, though...Fatburger has it if you want a cheap in !...) ....And none of the meat replacements we have tried tastes like "Wet Paper"....

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 24 Oct 2018, 01:20

I’m a carnivore and I LOVE that stuff. Especially Bratwursts. I like the texture. Anybody else tried those “beyond burgers” yet? Ridiculously overpriced but very toothsome. I understand there’s some small amount of meat based product involved so vegans will surely snub them. Great for guys like me who love meat but can see there’s not much future in it. they've got to bring the price down, though... a LOT.
Give me a C, a bouncy C!

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 24 Oct 2018, 04:29

With my gout, I try and stay away from every kind of meat but chicken. It’s good the Bay Area is a hotbed for this because I can pick up a lot of these alternatives at the supermarket.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 24 Oct 2018, 09:46

Cauliflower Steak was a thing for a while but it's been scorned for a number of reasons.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42639479

Marks and Spencer says it will stop selling its "cauliflower steak" after shoppers mocked the product.

It's called Steak but they either look like pictures I've seen of longitudinal slices of human brain in a lab jar or just slices of cauliflower, depending on your viewpoint.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 24 Oct 2018, 16:09

I'll have a veggie burger once in a while but good old falafel beats most of them.

Otherwise I don't really go for the "fake meat" when going veg.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 24 Oct 2018, 16:52

bobzilla77 wrote:I'll have a veggie burger once in a while but good old falafel beats most of them.

In a heartbeat.

The Prof
Composing a revolutionary symphony

Postby The Prof » 24 Oct 2018, 17:04

I prefer quorn sausages to the pig ones.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 24 Oct 2018, 17:15

it's the seasoning, man. if they can get the seasons right they taste like sausages.
Give me a C, a bouncy C!

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 03 Nov 2018, 01:57

I guess it partly depends on why you're not eating meat.

If you enjoy the taste & texture of meat, but don't eat it on moral (wrong word, but I can't think of another), or health grounds, then you might appreciate a meat-free like substitute. It's like having sweetener instead of sugar - not entirely the same, but it'll do. If you've not eaten meat for a while, the pretend products probably seem ok.

If you never liked meat anyway, then the flavour/texture of a substitute isn't going to be what you want. You then need to embrace the world of chickpeas and lentils and mmmmmmm halloumi.

Me- I fit both the above. I quite like soya products like Beanfeast, but anything too meaty or chewy is really unpleasant. And I'm horribly allergic to Quorn.
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 03 Nov 2018, 01:58

Tofu is your friend.
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 03 Nov 2018, 02:53

Robert wrote:Come on! Why? I am all for vegetarian meals but why would you need a look/taste-a-like alternative to a steak/meatball/ or chicken pieces?

I am on a mission to try them all but sofar, unless there’s heavy cheese involved, they are revoltingly unmeat-like and closer to the taste of wet paper than genuine food.

Are there any of these that make sense or is it better to stick to dishes that were designed meatless?

Don't worry about it.

Minnie Mincepie
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie Mincepie » 03 Nov 2018, 15:01

Like a lot of people I didn't stop eating meat because I didn't like it, so "texture and taste" alternatives to meat are welcome though not necessary. 90% of my meals don't have any component of that at all. Pretendy meat has come a fairly long way since I stopped eating meat - I don't know if anyone else remembers "SosMix" which was a beetroot coloured powder with maggot shaped wedges of fat in it.

Linda McCartney sausages remain the gold standard for me, but we can't get them here which is annoying. However, there are a ton of other alternatives that vary enormously in quality. I buy quite a lot of smoked meat alternatives for sandwiches etc, and they are fine, but my main weakness is pretendy chicken in breadcrumbs burgers or nuggets which I can't be left alone with. Recently I went to restaurant where they served one of those new fangled amazing burgers that are supposed to be exactly like meat. Well, it didn't, but it was fucking lovely. Absolutely mouthwatering.

I've tried very hard to make veggie burgers from scratch but they have really never hit the spot and are always, always too wet and floppy. I don't know how to get round that really.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 03 Nov 2018, 19:28

These are a good option for those looking for 'taste and texture' in vegan products.

£2 in Iceland.
A kid swapping a fishing rod for a Dr. Feelgood album.

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 04 Nov 2018, 09:13

Occasionally you will come across a burger which is really good. Not necessarily anything like meat , but really good. Tesco did a char grilled veggie burger, but discontinued it. So now I stick with mexican bean burgers, which are good.Thank god for the Linda McCartney sausages and sausage rolls. Otherwise I don't really bother. I cannot eat Quorn or beanfeast, and I am yet to master how to make tofu eatable. ( even though I have had it and it has been delicious). I also fail to enjoy squeeky cheese. I gave up meat because I couldn't digest it, and a lot of meat substitutes have the same problem, especially nut related products. So chips and beans it is then...
You don't like me...do you?

Jeemo

Postby Jeemo » 04 Nov 2018, 09:59

Cauldron veggie sausages are fab. Make great sausage rolls with a packet of puff pastry.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.