Jimbo
59%
Diamond Dog
41%

Total votes: 34

Jimbo

Bigger moron

Postby Jimbo » 23 Oct 2018, 08:13

I stack my version of truth telling against his inanity.
Some say the glass is half-empty others half-full. I say. "Lemme see that glass!"

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Re: Bigger moron

Postby Toby » 23 Oct 2018, 09:23

Your complete reliance on sources that have little or no journalistic credibility swings it your way.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 23 Oct 2018, 12:37

Toby wrote:Your complete reliance on sources that have little or no journalistic credibility swings it your way.

Then don't read it but also don't presume its credibility level. You don't know if it's credible. You didn't read it. See, I wouldn't post something I didn't trust or something that doesn't have at least the ring of truth. Yes, some of the things I post do seem outlandish,but its the outlandishness that blows my mind and makes me think this will blow some BCB minds, too. My posts are also a gambit, an invitation for you to maybe argue (or god forbid agree) about what the piece says. Saying what you said above is not an argument - it's a cop out.
Some say the glass is half-empty others half-full. I say. "Lemme see that glass!"

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 23 Oct 2018, 12:59

Pete’s posts are damn near philosophical compared to my inane musings and blather. I have inanity locked up.

Sorry Jimbo. It’s you.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

$P.Muff$

Postby $P.Muff$ » 23 Oct 2018, 13:01

You've been a member here for a while, and you aren't blowing anyone's mind or picking up new recruits. You're just being an annoying pest for the sake of it. It sucks. And it's sad. My suggestion would be to ride your bike more and post a lot less.

caramba

Postby caramba » 23 Oct 2018, 13:08

How about we up the stakes and make it so the loser has to leave BCB forever*?

*before they come back as an alias three days later

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 23 Oct 2018, 13:25

Tough one.

I think the deciding factor is probably Neil Finn

I voted DD
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 23 Oct 2018, 13:27

Goat Boy wrote:Tough one.

I think the deciding factor is probably Neil Finn

I voted DD

For an entirely different reason, so did I.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 23 Oct 2018, 13:53

$P.Muff$ wrote:You've been a member here for a while, and you aren't blowing anyone's mind or picking up new recruits. You're just being an annoying pest for the sake of it. It sucks. And it's sad. My suggestion would be to ride your bike more and post a lot less.

All true. I am not blowing anyone's mind, and I do seem like a pest, and it does suck, and it is sad. Yet still I'm compelled. I'm not a writer nor do I have any grand plan to convert you to my politics or to my way of thinking. But maybe I'm like a driven artist, a person who must create. Maybe I see you guys as my canvas, my chapel ceiling because you are oddly (to me) the most stubborn, most closed minded, challenging - but still smart, funny and friendly bunch on the internet. How there are all of you - and then me is odd, I think. I can say here that I can take a hint. But my history shows I can't. I'd like to just buzz off from here - I really would - but it's hard. Oh, well, we'll see. Thanks.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 23 Oct 2018, 14:36

I'm unable to answer the question as the dog is on Ignore and has been for some time and I just scroll real fast through Jimbo's posts paying them scant heed.
Last edited by Samoan on 23 Oct 2018, 15:54, edited 1 time in total.
Nikki Gradual wrote: Santana is just lift music really, isn’t it ?

HarryIrene

Postby HarryIrene » 23 Oct 2018, 14:44

Sorry Jimbo. Could have been a tie, but your avatar of that disgraceful self-aggrandizing sex case Assange, swings it.
Nothing To See Here. Move Right Along

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 23 Oct 2018, 14:53

Jimbo wrote:
Toby wrote:Your complete reliance on sources that have little or no journalistic credibility swings it your way.

Then don't read it but also don't presume its credibility level. You don't know if it's credible. You didn't read it. See, I wouldn't post something I didn't trust or something that doesn't have at least the ring of truth. Yes, some of the things I post do seem outlandish,but its the outlandishness that blows my mind and makes me think this will blow some BCB minds, too. My posts are also a gambit, an invitation for you to maybe argue (or god forbid agree) about what the piece says. Saying what you said above is not an argument - it's a cop out.

You consistently post from sites which have very little in the way of any credibility. Investigative journalism, the proper sort, requires a lot of money to service and it also generally has editors and staff who have to independently verify every fact or point by its journalists made if that news service is to remain credible in any way.

These organisations have decades of standards to adhere to. Now, obviously not every one of them adheres to those standards all the time, and the hacking scandal at News International is an example of the growth of a bad culture. But those are exceptions in the main.

Your problem as well is that you just post these sources and don't seem to have any real cogent opinion on anything apart from the fact that there is some sort of vague and murky conspiracy, which is the sort of muddled teenage pothead mindset I imagine you should have migrated from decades ago.

I think it's right to question things and not to accept what is fed you, but the convoluted notion of a conspiracy being the more logical outcome of what is essentially an extremely complex situation seems, well, a bit foolish.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 23 Oct 2018, 15:24

Close minded is one of these phrases that gets bandied about these days but is nearly always shorthand for “you don’t believe the same bullshit I do”. I have a friend I used to work with who believed in pseudo-scientific nonsense like the law of attraction and crap like that. I would always be dismissive and laugh – as part of a long running game we had - and she would call me “close minded” as if being “open minded” is obviously a desirable, positive thing at all times. In my experience being open minded actually means believing guff where there is little or no credible evidence. You get a similar thing with conspiracy nuts. “Oh you’re so close minded, man!”. Yeah. And? Being open minded is not a virtue in this context. It’s not akin to being open minded enough to try a new cuisine or listening to a jazz record i.e. open to new experiences.

BCB is “close minded” when it comes to your conspiracies because rarely do they ever stand up to any kind of rational scrutiny. The fact that we as a board dismiss this, even after entertaining your proclivities endlessly, should, in an ideal world trigger that part of your brain where doubt resides and necessitate some kind of self-reflection but I understand of course that’s not how your brain works in this respect. You have positioned yourself in opposition to the BCB mainstream - and, by extension, the mainstream media and public opinion at large - and that’s how it works with the conspiracy minded. Of course our rejection merely reinforces your worldview and your perspective of yourself as some kind of open minded truth seeker railing against the despairing illusory bullshit of the world. A perfect self-perpetuating circle. And so it goes on. Every rejection, every snide remark, every dismissive laugh deepens the foxhole and emboldens your obsessive tenacity to confront the Great Lie, to peel back the layers of the onion to reveal that golden orb of truth you believe absolutely exists.

I know as well that you are compelled to do this and can’t really stop yourself because I know people like you in the real world too and they are compelled to do exactly the same thing. I have a mate who now lives in Australia (more a friend of a friend actually but we’ve hung out occasionally over the years) who is a real conspiracy nut and I remember him querying the moon landings after I posted something on Facebook. He did it in a way that stopped short of simply saying, “bullshit!” but I knew him well enough to know that’s what he ultimately believed. He’s not a stupid man, on the contrary he’s smart and inquisitive and I know that you are not stupid either but some people appear exceptionally susceptible to this kind of thinking for a number of reasons. I also know that when they disappear down the rabbit hole rarely do they ever come back. For that to happen requires some serious reverse engineering. The shedding of one’s own cognitive biases and a re-calibration of a world view that has been created and reinforced over their whole life. These are big, monolithic things.

I should add that this guy has also had mental health issues by the way and after casually browsing conspiracy websites and forums over the years I’m inclined to believe that the popularity of conspiracies is actually evidence of (often) un-diagnosed mental health issues. Anyway....

The thing is though, we are all prone to believing in conspiracies to a degree. It’s sadly part of our evolutionary programming. Even on coldly “rational” BCB. An obvious example of this tendency is in relation to left wing politics. There is a very obvious conspiratorial bent to a lot of left wing thinking because the left is essentially in opposition to The Establishment: corporations, politicians, governments, those in power. You see it on BCB all the time. As with most things in life, however, it’s about degrees and of course there are real life conspiracies sometimes so there is a kernel of truth to some claims. It’s not all fantasy, you know, but this does not give some kind of creedence to everything and it’s our job to look at the available evidence and make balanced conclusions and, also and very crucially, be aware that our own brains are part of the bloody problem.

I wish you the best, Jimbo but you need an intervention. I would start with turning the fucking internet off.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 23 Oct 2018, 16:04

When I feel compelled to say, “listen to Goat Boy” - you know the universe is off its axis.

But what he’s saying is generally correct. I would add to it that there is something very exploitive about the cottage industry of voices (ie: your sources) working overtime to keep you in a confirmation bias loop. Caitlin may make you feel understood, but she’s the devil - pulling you deeper into your tin foil castle.

I have a different take on open-mindedness than GB. I believe in giving consideration to things that might at first seem like “guff”. But there’s a difference between weighing the possibilities and constructing a grand narrative in which everything must either reinforce a fixed idea or be dismissed as propaganda.

Of course there IS propaganda and there ARE rich and powerful people attempting to pull strings in this world. That insight blew my mind when I was 14 too. But then I had other insights. You don’t HAVE to stop at the first one.

What I learned over time is that nobody is in the kind of control you imagine. Perhaps at one time they were, but the whole thing became convoluted a long time ago. It is a perpetual motion machine now. People and/or corporations may control one corner of it or another, but nobody actually controls it.

Why would the Koch brothers or George Soros keep trying to have an influence if they were already in control? At this point, what further influence should they need to buy? They keeep writing checks because the world spins away from their desires when they don’t.

But your sense of safety in the world relies on the belief that there is a bad guy in control who can be vanquished and replaced with a good guy.it is too frightening to accept that nobody is running this, and therefore no hope of a savior.

I’m empathetic with your plight. That’s a tough reality to swallow. But if you were truly open-minded, you’d allow yourself to see it.
The opinions of this poster are subjective. That’s how opinions work.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 23 Oct 2018, 16:23

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:When I feel compelled to say, “listen to Goat Boy” - you know the universe is off its axis.

:lol:

Words to live by.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 23 Oct 2018, 16:25

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:Why would the Koch brothers or George Soros keep trying to have an influence if they were already in control?

That's just what they want you to think.

$P.Muff$

Postby $P.Muff$ » 23 Oct 2018, 17:26

Jimbo wrote:
$P.Muff$ wrote:You've been a member here for a while, and you aren't blowing anyone's mind or picking up new recruits. You're just being an annoying pest for the sake of it. It sucks. And it's sad. My suggestion would be to ride your bike more and post a lot less.

All true. I am not blowing anyone's mind, and I do seem like a pest, and it does suck, and it is sad. Yet still I'm compelled. I'm not a writer nor do I have any grand plan to convert you to my politics or to my way of thinking. But maybe I'm like a driven artist, a person who must create. Maybe I see you guys as my canvas, my chapel ceiling because you are oddly (to me) the most stubborn, most closed minded, challenging - but still smart, funny and friendly bunch on the internet. How there are all of you - and then me is odd, I think. I can say here that I can take a hint. But my history shows I can't. I'd like to just buzz off from here - I really would - but it's hard. Oh, well, we'll see. Thanks.

I think the flaw in your thinking is allowing yourself to frame the situation as 'Them v. Me'.

And no one is stopping you from being an artist or writer other than yourself, but you can't expect other people to be your canvas unless you're lookin' to be a cult leader.

And it seems as though most folks here genuinely like you as a person - I do. Just go take up bonsai or something and get happy.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 23 Oct 2018, 18:19

sloopjohnc wrote:
Davey the Fat Boy wrote:When I feel compelled to say, “listen to Goat Boy” - you know the universe is off its axis.

Words to live by.

First thing I thought of.

Everyone's so down on Jimbo, yet the poll is closer than you'd think.

Thoughts?
Coan wrote:'Vertigo' is one of the best things U2 have ever done, one of a handful of occasions where they get it just right. That bit near the end where the song lifts off? You don't get that with The Allman Brothers.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 23 Oct 2018, 18:21

Matt Wilson wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:

Words to live by.

First thing I thought of.

Everyone's so down on Jimbo, yet the poll is closer than you'd think.

Thoughts?

What do YOU think, Matt?

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 23 Oct 2018, 18:24

Honestly, I never read Jimbo's stuff. I don't know why you guys would entertain things like that. And your comment about mental illness and conspiracy theory nuts is true, as I knew a guy like that for years. He lived out of his car in fact. Later on he was diagnosed with schizophrenia.

So why is Pete one vote behind? :lol: He must have some REAL haters here.
Coan wrote:'Vertigo' is one of the best things U2 have ever done, one of a handful of occasions where they get it just right. That bit near the end where the song lifts off? You don't get that with The Allman Brothers.