Proofreaders' Corner #249

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Proofreaders' Corner #249

Postby Neige » 11 Oct 2018, 13:36

I have these sentences.

"As the next generation (...) grows up, so there is a rising entrepreneurial spirit ...

"As the millennial generation assumes roles in family offices and philantropical organizations, so this trend is likely to grow stronger"

The combined use of "as" and "so" sounds totally wrong to my ears, but I'm no native speaker so what do I know? :oops:

Can anyone shed light on this?
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

SUMPTUOUS SI
hounds people off the board

Re: Proofreaders' Corner #249

Postby SUMPTUOUS SI » 11 Oct 2018, 13:42

I'd just miss out 'so' altogether, leave everything else as it is. The comma is all you need to indicate cause and effect.
Dimbo wrote:The media are run by the CIA. They write what they tell them to write.

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 11 Oct 2018, 13:46

You can ditch ”so” in both. ”As” is already doing the same job. Witness what happens if you switch the clauses:

This trend is likely to grow stronger as the millennial generation assumes roles...
Copehead wrote:I have met Gruff Rhys - although he claimed he wasn't and that he couldn't speak Welsh, as I spoke to him in Welsh, but it was him lying bastard.

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 11 Oct 2018, 13:51

HEN wrote:I'd just miss out 'so' altogether, leave everything else as it is. The comma is all you need to indicate cause and effect.

Agreed, but the "so" isn't incorrect. It's purely rhetorical but it's presumably there for emphasis.

I find the first sentence odd though.

As the next generation (...) grows up, so there is a rising entrepreneurial spirit ...

The reference to ' the next generation' makes me feel it's talking about the future and I'd expect it to continue, "...so there will be a rising ..."
The second sentence has a future sense.
Bugger off.

SUMPTUOUS SI
hounds people off the board

Postby SUMPTUOUS SI » 11 Oct 2018, 14:01

Yes.
Dimbo wrote:The media are run by the CIA. They write what they tell them to write.

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 11 Oct 2018, 14:03

Rorschach wrote:Agreed, but the "so" isn't incorrect. It's purely rhetorical but it's presumably there for emphasis.

Cheers Tym! This is very helpful, as I'm not really supposed to change anything that isn't either wrong or inconsistent (which is why I won't adventure myself into tenses territory with the first sentence).

And thanks for confirming my hunch, Penk and Coan!
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 11 Oct 2018, 15:30

"As the next generation (...) grows up, so there is a rising entrepreneurial spirit ..."

The precedent for this is the construction here: As Maine goes, so goes the nation.

But the samples you gave don't benefit in any way from being formulated like this.

Sorry if this is entirely obvious!
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 11 Oct 2018, 17:47

HEN wrote:I'd just miss out 'so' altogether, leave everything else as it is. The comma is all you need to indicate cause and effect.

exactly.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 11 Oct 2018, 17:51

You don't need to ditch the 'so' at all. It's fine as is.
Coan wrote:'Vertigo' is one of the best things U2 have ever done, one of a handful of occasions where they get it just right. That bit near the end where the song lifts off? You don't get that with The Allman Brothers.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 11 Oct 2018, 17:56

PENK wrote:You can ditch ”so” in both. ”As” is already doing the same job. Witness what happens if you switch the clauses:

Always a good trick for evaluating language efficiency.