The hardest exam in the world

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
User avatar
Pansy Puff
Posts: 8684
Joined: 22 Feb 2012, 21:10
Location: Under the watchful eye of the Clive police

Re: The hardest exam in the world

Postby Pansy Puff » 08 Oct 2018, 22:17

I don't think you did. Not so open. You'd be given all sorts of context.

What I tried to do was teach general knowledge. Couldn't cover everything but I bloody tried.
The Happy Mondays were disqualified from a special edition of the BBC’s Bargain Hunt after Bez broke the show’s rules by artificially inflating prices, handing victory to Pulp.

User avatar
sloopjohnc
Posts: 62994
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12

Re: The hardest exam in the world

Postby sloopjohnc » 08 Oct 2018, 22:19

The Modernist wrote:
Pansy Puff wrote:
The Modernist wrote:
Actually you do..I used to teach it.

So did I. You didn't get questions like these. Not for at least 25 years. I didn't teach it before then.


You got questions like the ones in Toby's first post though. I found teaching it pretty impossible because the kids just didn't have the knowledge for it.


Couldn't they just have questions like Who rules more: Black Sabbath or Led Zeppelin?
Last edited by sloopjohnc on 08 Oct 2018, 22:19, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Robert
Posts: 916
Joined: 27 Dec 2013, 13:24

Re: The hardest exam in the world

Postby Robert » 08 Oct 2018, 22:19

Toby wrote:Only two people get a fellowship at All Souls.

Here are the questions

1. Is ignorance bliss?

2. Are there too many books?

3. Defend tweeting

4. Does Google know us better than we do?

5. Are Old Masters overrated?

6. Would you rather be a Vampire or a Zombie?

7. Are there topics one should not joke about?

8.Music came to a stop with Brahms (Wittgenstein). Discuss.

9. What, if any, are the advantages of binge-watching?

10. How should we close the gender pay gap?

11. Should sugar be taxed?

12. Is Classics racist?

13. Did the Englightement happen?

14. Is Tourism a necessary evil?

15. Is it time to give up the Nobel Peace Prize?


There are no answers to any of these questions. They are merely invitations to eloquently express a point of view.

User avatar
The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!
Posts: 12256
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: The hardest exam in the world

Postby The Modernist » 08 Oct 2018, 22:25

Pansy Puff wrote:I don't think you did. Not so open. You'd be given all sorts of context.

What I tried to do was teach general knowledge. Couldn't cover everything but I bloody tried.


It used to vary from exam board to exam board. The one we used to do there was no context, just a straight question (among a choice of questions). I remember one being about funding of the arts and another about the privatisation of water. This was in the late 90s..it's probably got a bit easier since.

User avatar
SUMPTUOUS SI
hounds people off the board
Posts: 18541
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: bit reliant on prawns

Re: The hardest exam in the world

Postby SUMPTUOUS SI » 08 Oct 2018, 22:26

I remember one question: "if Dickens were alive today, he'd be writing for Coronation Street" - to what extent do you agree with this statement?

I actually enjoyed taking the exam - the only time that's ever happened! I got a 'B'
Last edited by SUMPTUOUS SI on 08 Oct 2018, 22:27, edited 2 times in total.
Dimbo wrote:The media are run by the CIA. They write what they tell them to write.

User avatar
The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!
Posts: 12256
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: The hardest exam in the world

Postby The Modernist » 08 Oct 2018, 22:26

sloopjohnc wrote:
The Modernist wrote:
Pansy Puff wrote:So did I. You didn't get questions like these. Not for at least 25 years. I didn't teach it before then.


You got questions like the ones in Toby's first post though. I found teaching it pretty impossible because the kids just didn't have the knowledge for it.


Couldn't they just have questions like Who rules more: Black Sabbath or Led Zeppelin?


The answer being that the first part of the statement is correct and it is The Who.

User avatar
kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos
Posts: 34891
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 15:20
Location: bama via new orleans

Re: The hardest exam in the world

Postby kath » 08 Oct 2018, 22:27

Robert wrote:
Toby wrote:Only two people get a fellowship at All Souls.

Here are the questions

1. Is ignorance bliss?

2. Are there too many books?

3. Defend tweeting

4. Does Google know us better than we do?

5. Are Old Masters overrated?

6. Would you rather be a Vampire or a Zombie?

7. Are there topics one should not joke about?

8.Music came to a stop with Brahms (Wittgenstein). Discuss.

9. What, if any, are the advantages of binge-watching?

10. How should we close the gender pay gap?

11. Should sugar be taxed?

12. Is Classics racist?

13. Did the Englightement happen?

14. Is Tourism a necessary evil?

15. Is it time to give up the Nobel Peace Prize?


There are no answers to any of these questions. They are merely invitations to eloquently express a point of view.


a few of em are pretty loaded, though...

9. What, if any, are the advantages of binge-watching?

14. Is Tourism a necessary evil?


... mwhaha.

User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 32458
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: The hardest exam in the world

Postby Goat Boy » 08 Oct 2018, 22:37

I'd take on 4 and 6 in that Cambridge exam if I had time but I'd prioritise 6.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.


Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

User avatar
Wally Bingbang
Long Player
Posts: 39962
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 23:20
Location: 1220 on your AM dial

Re: The hardest exam in the world

Postby Wally Bingbang » 09 Oct 2018, 14:20

I just answered "yes" to the first one and skipped the rest.
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

User avatar
Deebank
Resonator
Posts: 23104
Joined: 10 Oct 2003, 13:47
Location: In a beautiful place out in the country

Re: The hardest exam in the world

Postby Deebank » 09 Oct 2018, 14:27

Robert wrote:
Toby wrote:Only two people get a fellowship at All Souls.

Here are the questions

1. Is ignorance bliss?

2. Are there too many books?

3. Defend tweeting

4. Does Google know us better than we do?

5. Are Old Masters overrated?

6. Would you rather be a Vampire or a Zombie?

7. Are there topics one should not joke about?

8.Music came to a stop with Brahms (Wittgenstein). Discuss.

9. What, if any, are the advantages of binge-watching?

10. How should we close the gender pay gap?

11. Should sugar be taxed?

12. Is Classics racist?

13. Did the Englightement happen?

14. Is Tourism a necessary evil?

15. Is it time to give up the Nobel Peace Prize?


There are no answers to any of these questions. They are merely invitations to eloquently express a point of view.


Indeed, that's not hard - It might be hard to satisfy the examiners perhasp but anyone could have a go.

You couldn't say the same about a paper covering differential calculus (the hardest thing I can think of :lol: ) though for example.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

User avatar
Deebank
Resonator
Posts: 23104
Joined: 10 Oct 2003, 13:47
Location: In a beautiful place out in the country

Re: The hardest exam in the world

Postby Deebank » 09 Oct 2018, 14:29

Actually 8 would be quite good fun for most of us here wouldn't it?
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro