The New Dr Who - yea or nay?

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
caramba

The New Dr Who - yea or nay?

Postby caramba » 08 Oct 2018, 11:24

More likely to get replies here than in Screenadelica so what do you reckon?

I thought it was terrible. Poorly written and acted by all concerned.

While it's still early days for Jodie Whittaker, who will hopefully grow into the role, the fact that this is the bells and whistles first outing for new 'showrunner' Chris Chibnall does not augur well.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Re: The New Dr Who - yea or nay?

Postby The Modernist » 08 Oct 2018, 13:26

It's getting great reviews. I didn't watch it.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 08 Oct 2018, 13:41

will let you know when I get around to watching it.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 08 Oct 2018, 16:14

She's okay in the role. I wasn't able to stay up and watch the whole thing, but the story really didn't grab me from the outset.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

borofan

Postby borofan » 08 Oct 2018, 17:39

It's a yea from me. Refreshing to be rid of Moffat's obsession with fanboy in-jokes. And of course, it was set and filmed in one of the greatest cities anywhere (I may be biased, as I went to Uni there...). And a lead with a proper Yorkshire accent - not before time, we had a Lanky 4 doctors ago!
We're usually skipping around the function room in our long-johns by now...

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 08 Oct 2018, 19:07

I watched it from behind the settee. Terrified by the prospect of a PC Dr Who.
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

space. invadere
hounds people off the board

Postby space. invadere » 08 Oct 2018, 19:10

:)
GoogaMooga wrote:I've been GoogaMooga everywhere since I went online in 2005. There are copycats on the web incl a Brooklyn Food Festival, who have even adopted my camel case "M".

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 09 Oct 2018, 00:11

She was channeling David Tennant a lot though I thought. The bug eyes and shouting?
You don't like me...do you?

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 09 Oct 2018, 00:29

yomptepi wrote:She was channeling David Tennant a lot though I thought. The bug eyes and shouting?

There's only so many twists you can have on the character..you've had grave doctor, eccentric doctor, suave doctor, down to earth doctor, patrician doctor, mentalist doctor. I'm amazed people are still so interested in it to be honest.

caramba

Postby caramba » 09 Oct 2018, 08:59

Fonz wrote:I watched it from behind the settee. Terrified by the prospect of a PC Dr Who.

The main PC box that seemed to remain unticked was there was no disabled person, although this was quickly addressed when it turned out the black kid suffered from some kind of lack of physical co-ordination. There also seemed to be no LGBT character - perhaps Bradley Walsh's retired bus driver will embrace his inner gayness as a result of his wife's dying. How long before BW says "we're gunner need some pushbex..."

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 09 Oct 2018, 10:35

caramba wrote:
Fonz wrote:I watched it from behind the settee. Terrified by the prospect of a PC Dr Who.

The main PC box that seemed to remain unticked was there was no disabled person, although this was quickly addressed when it turned out the black kid suffered from some kind of lack of physical co-ordination. There also seemed to be no LGBT character - perhaps Bradley Walsh's retired bus driver will embrace his inner gayness as a result of his wife's dying. How long before BW says "we're gunner need some pushbex..."

You think there is no LGBT angle in a show where a man has just turned into a woman?
You don't like me...do you?

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 09 Oct 2018, 10:56

The Modernist wrote:
yomptepi wrote:She was channeling David Tennant a lot though I thought. The bug eyes and shouting?

There's only so many twists you can have on the character..you've had grave doctor, eccentric doctor, suave doctor, down to earth doctor, patrician doctor, mentalist doctor. I'm amazed people are still so interested in it to be honest.

I know. I'm struggling to see how it is such a cultural market for so many people.