No votes

Total votes: 10

sloopjohnc

Re: Top London icon

Postby sloopjohnc » 08 Oct 2018, 16:08

GoogaMooga wrote:
trans-chigley express wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:
But still very much associated with London, wouldn't you say?

No. A British icon for sure, but never specific to London. Certainly not by UK residents.

From the poll I'd go for the bus, it's what springs to mind immediately for so many people I know when they think of London. That Big Ben and Tower Bridge.

But the red phone booth, like the Bobby's helmet, is a universal icon known to people all over the world, many of whom may not know much about the UK outside of London. You go to souvenir shops in London and I think you'll see representations of both on sale.

There's a faux British pub in Half Moon Bay, called Cameron's that displays both. Half Moon Bay is a coastal town, obviously, about 25 miles south of San Francisco. They are known for a big pumpkin festival they hold around this time each year.

They serve the most excruciatingly bad pasties the world has ever seen (or tasted).
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Re: Top London icon

Postby Butch Manly » 09 Oct 2018, 23:35

Deebank wrote:Increasingly the braying hoorays in the wine bars of The Strand and Fleet Street?

If you're daft enough to water yourself in the Strand or Fleet St, you deserve everything you get.
Goatboy to Belle:

"I suggest you retreat to the safety of your Facebook bubble. Griff has a post he needs you to like."