Visiting Belfast

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Polishgirl

Visiting Belfast

Postby Polishgirl » 06 Oct 2018, 21:41

I'm sticking this here in the hope it'll get more traffic.

I'm off to Belfast for a long weekend in November ( I know; the glamour!!) with a friend. We're both really looking forward to it.

Any hints/ tips for things to see and do? We like the unusual, historical, idiosyncratic.

( Not interested in food/ gastro adventures ) .
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

Positive Passion

Re: Visiting Belfast

Postby Positive Passion » 07 Oct 2018, 06:38

I went to Belfast last year at the request of my 10 year old, who wanted to go to the Titanic museum, so that was the main thing we did. This is a good exhibition but does take about 4 hours.
The walk up Cave Hill from Belfast Castle is great.
You can take a tour or just walk around the Falls Road and Shanklin Road, where the"peace wall" separates sectarian areas, and see plaques commemorating murders carried out by one side or the other. This is very close to the centre of Belfast.

Jeemo

Postby Jeemo » 07 Oct 2018, 09:09

The bus trip is pretty good, city centre then out to Stormount back through the Falls and Shankhill, usual get off points all through the city.

The taxi tours are supposed to be brilliant, didnt have time to go on one.

The Titanic exhibition is very good, although its a bit of a whitewash regarding workers in the yards.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 07 Oct 2018, 19:39

Excellent; thanks gents.
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 07 Oct 2018, 19:40

Positive Passion wrote:
You can take a tour or just walk around the Falls Road and Shanklin Road, where the"peace wall" separates sectarian areas, and see plaques commemorating murders carried out by one side or the other.

Fun for all the family!

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 07 Oct 2018, 21:11

The Modernist wrote:
Positive Passion wrote:
You can take a tour or just walk around the Falls Road and Shanklin Road, where the"peace wall" separates sectarian areas, and see plaques commemorating murders carried out by one side or the other.

Fun for all the family!

:lol: I have to confess, we have been thinking about doing this. We know how to enjoy ourselves. #holidayhedonism

Robert

Postby Robert » 07 Oct 2018, 22:16

Take a Game of Thrones tour. Plenty to see and likely
You’ll see most of the murals too.

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 08 Oct 2018, 06:41

Polishgirl wrote:
The Modernist wrote:
Positive Passion wrote:

Fun for all the family!

:lol: I have to confess, we have been thinking about doing this. We know how to enjoy ourselves. #holidayhedonism

They are often quite shocking - calculated to maintain hatred and bigotry.

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 11 Oct 2018, 20:57

I've booked an Airbnb; turns out it's pretty close to the Crown Liquor Saloon. How handy.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 11 Oct 2018, 21:06

Polishgirl wrote:( Not interested in food/ gastro adventures ) .

Then you're going to the right city. ;)
“It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.” Mark Twain

caramba

Postby caramba » 12 Oct 2018, 11:38

A mate of mine who worked in Belfast during the troubles once told me a terrific story about the painting of a massive gable-end "muriel" showing black and white gunmen from the IRA and South Africa's ANC demonstrating their solidarity by waving armalite rifles in the air. When a couple of patrolling British Army squaddies - one black, the other white - stopped to watch, the RA man doing the painting turned around and said "What the fuck are you looking at, you black cunt?"

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 12 Oct 2018, 12:03

I was there earlier this year as well with my kid because he's Titanic-obsessed. I'd really recommend the Titanic hotel(!) if you can afford it (opposite the museum) - steeped in the romantic history of the ship-building history of the city. Lots of amazing anecdotes and stories of the celebrities travelling across the Atlantic in the 1920s and 30s.

We walked up to the pump house as well which is both a really nice walk, but also houses one of only 2-3 surviving naval boats from WWI - quite incredible to see.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 14 Oct 2018, 02:47

The Titanic Hotel sounds like just the job for my friend! Thank you

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 14 Oct 2018, 07:33

Highly recommend the black cab tour. Make sure it's one that visits both sides. The drivers are sometimes ex-prisoners, but as a tour guide told me, they're all "changed men ".. :D
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 14 Oct 2018, 23:29

Belle Lettre wrote:Highly recommend the black cab tour. Make sure it's one that visits both sides. The drivers are sometimes ex-prisoners, but as a tour guide told me, they're all "changed men ".. :D

I bet they are!

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 14 Nov 2018, 23:26

Off on Friday, and very excited- got good things lined up. And the goodest thing will be meeting up with the wonderful Beebsy!

Flower

Postby Flower » 15 Nov 2018, 12:45

Have a great time.
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 15 Nov 2018, 23:23

Flower wrote:Have a great time.

Thank you! Our little black cat loves to sleep on top of my suitcase so it took me about half an hour just to defloof it.... :x

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 17 Nov 2018, 23:39

Full and fascinating day in Belfast- best of all, got to spend the morning with fabulous Beebsy.