Gauging the importance of aesthetics in product design

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
sloopjohnc

Re: Gauging the importance of aesthetics in product design

Postby sloopjohnc » 05 Oct 2018, 00:47

Snarfyguy wrote:
TootyFrooty wrote:This is the biggest-selling olive oil

why is it the biggest selling?

Tangentially related, Harpers Index once proffered the factoid that three quarters of what is sold as "extra-virgin olive oil" in the U.S. is in fact something other than extra-virgin olive oil (likely just olive oil of an inferior grade and also likely something to do with organized crime at the source).

So people are often not only buying a product based in part on its packaging, but they're also not even buying what they think they're buying.

I have heard that too. Over the east San Francisco Bay hills is prime olive growing territory and many growers make their own olive oil. You can really tell the difference between the good stuff and the crap, even the ones with good labels, in super markets. Near me is a specialty olive oil store and I go there all the time to pick up olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

http://www.saporemesso.com/Sapore_Messo/Home.html

The guy is crap at marketing though. My ex is a marketing person too and when we went there with the kids, she had the same feeling I did. She just wanted to help the guy.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 05 Oct 2018, 01:26

^^^ Obviously, people -- without thinking about it -- prefer to buy bad products in flashy packaging than good products in plain packaging.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

$P.Muff$

Postby $P.Muff$ » 05 Oct 2018, 03:01

sloopjohnc wrote:
$P.Muff$ wrote:I bought a headlamp on sale near the counter at Auto Zone over the summer. I think's it's 1000 lumens. Kinda heavy (4 AA batteries in back) and uncomfortable though.

If you did, either the manufacturer paid for the retail placement or Auto Zone calculated that the product would have enough turns to validate its counter position despite the price. Or it was short-lived test.

It was this:
https://policesecurity.com/product/lookout-4aa/

Only 970 lumens. And 50% off. My assumption was that they weren't big sellers.

$P.Muff$

Postby $P.Muff$ » 05 Oct 2018, 03:09

This is the olive oil I buy most often:
https://californiaoliveranch.com

Seems like the real deal to me.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 05 Oct 2018, 03:20

What I find remarkable is how cheap packaging is - or seems. I'm sitting here sweating with a tasty styrofoam cup of instant Thai noodle soup. In the cup were two foil-plastic envelopes of flavoring. The cup had a peel off lid and the whole package was wrapped in cellophane. And it's colorful. The ink alone, if I'd printed it out at home I'd need a new cartridge. And the whole thing cost about a buck US.
“It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.” Mark Twain

$P.Muff$

Postby $P.Muff$ » 05 Oct 2018, 05:05

Why are you eating crap?

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 05 Oct 2018, 05:20

Jimbo wrote:What I find remarkable is how cheap packaging is - or seems. I'm sitting here sweating with a tasty styrofoam cup of instant Thai noodle soup. In the cup were two foil-plastic envelopes of flavoring. The cup had a peel off lid and the whole package was wrapped in cellophane. And it's colorful. The ink alone, if I'd printed it out at home I'd need a new cartridge. And the whole thing cost about a buck US.

And the whole lot just ends up floating in the sea

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 05 Oct 2018, 05:24

$P.Muff$ wrote:Why are you eating crap?

The packaging ... it's irresistible.
“It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.” Mark Twain

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 05 Oct 2018, 07:09

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 05 Oct 2018, 08:03

TootyFrooty wrote:
Toby wrote:If the item concerned is going to have a visible impact on the decoration of my home, then yes, aesthetic quality is important.

Perishable goods are completely different. Who cares what it is packaged/ bottled in ? I'm not buying it for that purpose, unless I'm going to decorate our house with olive oil bottles.

THE DESIGN OF THE CONTAINER/LABEL ATTRACTS THE CONSUMER

Well obviously, but not everyone looks at it that way. I'm not fucking thick. The simple fact is that some people will be swayed by the packaging, but many won't - they're interested in the product inside.

Take wine. A lot of wine is labelled with pretty designs and also gives you a load of stuff on the back about the sort of food it's good with. Seasoned wine buyers avoid this sort of thing, because generally it's clever marketing bollocks. There are lots of little ways with which to determine quality.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 05 Oct 2018, 08:44

If you think of most things you buy in the supermarket packaging plays very little role in making our decision. Most of our decision are based on previous experience and brand loyalty. Price is also a very important determinant. On the fairly rare ocassion that you are choosing between products you have little prior knowledge of and which are priced equally then it becomes more important. Where it is important, I think, is with luxury products, things you haven't necessarily gone in to buy, but you think "ooh that looks nice".

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 05 Oct 2018, 09:17

Cars are a good example. We leased a Honda Civic this year - for a little less money, I could have got something "better" in terms of MPG and all round functionality, but with inferior aesthetic quality.

Half of my decision to get a Civic was because it looked better. If you're going to be sitting in something and driving around in it, you might as well get something that "looks good" rather than some old misshapen shit box. Of course, if I had a very low budget for this sort of thing, then I wouldn't have the same sort of concerns.

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 05 Oct 2018, 10:36

TootyFrooty wrote:This is the biggest-selling olive oil

why is it the biggest selling?

You think this is a nice label? Fuck me your standards are low.
I run out of talent

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 05 Oct 2018, 10:46

He didn't state that he liked it personally .

I imagine it sells well because the label imparts a sense of authenticity more than anything else, regardless of the design. It's also priced competitively - not enough to be cheap, but a lot of people won't spend £10 on olive oil.

We buy this one - mostly because it's delicious...

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 05 Oct 2018, 13:55

Toby wrote:Cars are a good example. We leased a Honda Civic this year - for a little less money, I could have got something "better" in terms of MPG and all round functionality, but with inferior aesthetic quality.

Half of my decision to get a Civic was because it looked better. If you're going to be sitting in something and driving around in it, you might as well get something that "looks good" rather than some old misshapen shit box. Of course, if I had a very low budget for this sort of thing, then I wouldn't have the same sort of concerns.

I test drove a Honda Civic, it was by far the nicest car on the inside, and probably the outside too. But to drive it was a pig, and had that stupid rear-spoiler/wiper motor combination that meant that you basically have to guess if there's anything behind you.

In the end I plumped for the Toyota Auris. Much better mpg, gadgets, and a much better drive for the same cash.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 05 Oct 2018, 13:57

#partridge

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 05 Oct 2018, 15:00

I suspect the main reason that Berrio oil is the leading brand is because it is the most widely available (apart from the reasons stated previously - price etc).

Which is a chicken/egg sort of thing.

And it’s ok for a non ‘boutique’ oil
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 05 Oct 2018, 15:24

Olive oil snobs. Some rock fans you turned out to be.

Robert

Postby Robert » 05 Oct 2018, 15:28

The Modernist wrote:If you think of most things you buy in the supermarket packaging plays very little role in making our decision. Most of our decision are based on previous experience and brand loyalty. Price is also a very important determinant. On the fairly rare ocassion that you are choosing between products you have little prior knowledge of and which are priced equally then it becomes more important. Where it is important, I think, is with luxury products, things you haven't necessarily gone in to buy, but you think "ooh that looks nice".

Before you gain expereinece there is a point on which you choose more or less blindly. Packaging plays a role in you
choosing A over B. Then it's upto meeting expectations to build the brand loyalty.

Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings
hounds people off the board
Location: selling a self-detonating James Last CD to a Copenhagen thrift store

Postby Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings » 05 Oct 2018, 15:33

Ever notice when a brand changes its logo? Fanta, for example, do this every fifteen years or so. For a period after the rebranding, sales increase by a small but significant amount.

When food shopping, it's your sense of sight which guides you more than any other.
Darkness_Fish wrote:This is a big fucking mess of absolute shit from the off.