contemporary thinkers

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
space. invadere
hounds people off the board

contemporary thinkers

Postby space. invadere » 30 Sep 2018, 11:48

Who rings bells for you? Chomsky? one of the Hitchens (OK, so one is now dead, but he's still what I would call 'contemporary')? Pilger? Pinker? Peterson?

Jimbo - please use your own thread for your conspiracy bullshit but by all means put forward names and brief philosophies of people here
Last edited by space. invadere on 03 Oct 2018, 10:20, edited 2 times in total.
GoogaMooga wrote:I've been GoogaMooga everywhere since I went online in 2005. There are copycats on the web incl a Brooklyn Food Festival, who have even adopted my camel case "M".

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Re: contemporary thinkers

Postby Toby » 30 Sep 2018, 11:49

Scruton obvs.

Chomsky for me was taken down a huge notch by Tom Wolfe’s last book. It asserts that he has emphatically bullied everyone over the last 40 years, particularly when his Universal Grammar theory, with which he has made his name, was disproved back in 2006. I’ve no doubt he’s an extremely clever man, but he has abused his position.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 30 Sep 2018, 13:22

I enjoy listening to podcasts by Sam Harris. He's controversial, especially about his opinions of Islam in that Islamism is retrograde and wrong and probably shouldn't even exist in the modern world. As an atheist he not too crazy about any other organized religion either. When he's not knocking Islam he speaks well about meditation and is some kind of guru himself. He's witty and has a pleasing speaking style and he's smart as fuck.

I also like Jordan Peterson because he's a good psychologist and gives sensible advice. I also enjoy the way he breaks down bible stories and Disney cartoons and scavenges them for usable metaphors and symbols. I also appreciate his takedown of the left. Hold on, Copehead. The left of which Peterson speaks is the potentially possible extreme left such as the Soviet Communists. He's a big Soljenitsyn fan. Peterson, too, is easy on the ears.
Some say the glass is half-empty others half-full. I say. "Lemme see that glass!"

space. invadere

Postby space. invadere » 30 Sep 2018, 13:30

Toby wrote:Scruton obvs.

Chomsky for me was taken down a huge notch by Tom Wolfe’s last book. It asserts that he has emphatically bullied everyone over the last 40 years, particularly when his Universal Grammar theory, with which he has made his name, was disproved back in 2006.

Not so sure about 'disproved' (although if you've got a link I'd be interested to see it) - linguists have argued about language acquisition without coming to anything close to a consensus for centuries. Chomsky's voice has had more influence than most. I mean, a lot of the fundamentals make sense, but it's damned hard to prove or refute those ideas, I think.
GoogaMooga wrote:I've been GoogaMooga everywhere since I went online in 2005. There are copycats on the web incl a Brooklyn Food Festival, who have even adopted my camel case "M".

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 30 Sep 2018, 15:06

Linguistics is bollocks. - Jimbo 2018
Some say the glass is half-empty others half-full. I say. "Lemme see that glass!"

space. invadere

Postby space. invadere » 30 Sep 2018, 15:34

BCB in 2018: like reading a copy of The Beano while someone pushes Roger Dean paintings in your face

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 30 Sep 2018, 15:46

I have a lot of respect for Chomsky but, like Pilger, his thinking has become compromised by his anti-American bias. I think Pilger's fallen down the conspiratorial hole a bit too often sadly. He's bit pickled. It happens, you know.

Peterson is thought provoking and a welcome voice even if I don't agree with everything. I still read Hitchens but more his essays rather than his opinions on, say, Islam. I miss his voice I have to say although his brother has his moments but he's a bit of an old prude.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

space. invadere

Postby space. invadere » 30 Sep 2018, 16:07

I watched Hitchens (C) talking about JFK on some old BBC prog just recently. He was ace.

I'd post the link but I'm on me phone

space. invadere

Postby space. invadere » 02 Oct 2018, 23:06

Goat Boy wrote:I still read Hitchens but more his essays rather than his opinions on, say, Islam. I miss his voice I have to say although his brother has his moments but he's a bit of an old prude.

Peter's been ranting on Twitter about how obscene tattoos are for a few days now. Intelligently, I might add. But yeah, a bit of a prude.

The thing is, he's a genuinely independent voice who doesn't fit in to any traditional left/right political box so people don't know what to make of him.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 03 Oct 2018, 09:34

TootyFrooty wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:I still read Hitchens but more his essays rather than his opinions on, say, Islam. I miss his voice I have to say although his brother has his moments but he's a bit of an old prude.

Peter's been ranting on Twitter about how obscene tattoos are for a few days now. Intelligently, I might add. But yeah, a bit of a prude.

The thing is, he's a genuinely independent voice who doesn't fit in to any traditional left/right political box so people don't know what to make of him.

Sometimes he has a point but other times he is so way off the mark it's not even funny.

His attitude towards drugs is hopelessly myopic.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

caramba

Postby caramba » 03 Oct 2018, 10:19

Goat Boy wrote:
Peter's...attitude towards drugs is hopelessly myopic.

As is mine, especially after I've smoked a couple of spliffs

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 03 Oct 2018, 11:32

Goat Boy wrote:
TootyFrooty wrote:

Sometimes he has a point but other times he is so way off the mark it's not even funny.

His attitude towards drugs is hopelessly myopic.

No i think he’s on the ball. He talks about big dope and he’s right about it. It’s a disaster waiting to happen.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 03 Oct 2018, 11:38

Big dope?

Has it been a disaster in America?

He has no perspective on this kind of thing at all.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 03 Oct 2018, 11:43

The Legalisation of Cannabis?

I have no idea. But I think he’s accurate in forewarning on the creation of a thing like Big Dope , just like Big Pharma, and the potentially catastrophic effect it could have.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 03 Oct 2018, 11:45

Goat Boy wrote:Big dope?

Has it been a disaster in America?

He has no perspective on this kind of thing at all.

Really? I think PH has considerably more perspective than you or me. It may seem like he’s out of the spectrum, because he doesn’t seem to know much about drug culture at all, but I think he’s right. I’ve had to seriously reevaluate my attitude towards drugs over the last couple of years because what he says has powerful truths that we can easily evade.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 03 Oct 2018, 12:07

Or is it because your previous attitudes don't fit in with your new respectable conservative image?
I really don't think Hitchens has any great insight into this that I've come across.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 03 Oct 2018, 12:18

His perspective is far too skewed in one direction and his own natural bias is towards some kind of public health catastrophe. He has an unpleasant puritanical side to him that comes out in discussions like this and colours his thinking. I would not argue that weed is benign mind or there are no problems with legalisation, exacerbated in America perhaps by the lack of federal involvement but prohibition is not the answer and we should be having a nuanced debate around the pros and cons and, imo, moving towards a different approach.

echolalia

Postby echolalia » 03 Oct 2018, 13:38

"Peter Hitchens on Drugs" - although he looks pretty sober to me. Everything he says about the "Portugal case" is rubbish, by the way, and it's just as well he doesn't adduce any evidence in support of it because he'd be hard put to find any: