Bicycles

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
harvey k-tel
Long Player

Re: Bicycles

Postby harvey k-tel » 04 Oct 2018, 18:31

$P.Muff$ wrote:
Wally Bingbang wrote:The single speed is perfect for city riding, and it's so friggin' light I could throw it over my shoulder if I needed to bring it indoors or whatever. It's also a throwback to my messenger days.

You ever have a bike with downtube shifters?

Here it is when I first got it - with original BioPace gearing and all!

If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

$P.Muff$

Postby $P.Muff$ » 04 Oct 2018, 18:53

Oh, ha!

I didn't notice where the shifters were originally attached in your photo. My bad.

I've never used them, but they appear a bit dangerous to me.

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 04 Oct 2018, 20:01

$P.Muff$ wrote:Very cool bike. I'd be afraid of someone stealing it if I lived in a city, though.

Well I never leave it at the train station overnight, for starters, and my house isn't really exposed, being at the end of a dead end street. And the bike is black like the one on the picture and doesn't look so flashy.

But fingers crossed!!!! :? :? :?
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 05 Oct 2018, 08:31

Neige wrote:

Not an ounce of cool. So sandals and socks. So … European. ;)
“It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.” Mark Twain

Neige
Alpine Numpty

Postby Neige » 05 Oct 2018, 09:14

Jimbo wrote:

Says the guy who drives a mama-chari... :lol:

I had various Schwinn and Electra cruisers before, which would have been a bit less "European" I suppose.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 05 Oct 2018, 13:56

Neige wrote:
Jimbo wrote:

:oops:

From the dumb shit I did as a kid department, my father had presented me with the coolest bicycle, a red Columbia three speed street bike. Had a back rack with a spring clasp, built-in twin headlights - it'd be worth some money if I had it today. Stupidly, I didn't like it. All my other friends had English racers with skinny tires and two handbrakes. My Columbia was distinctly American made. It had coaster brakes and one front handbrake. :x I had decorated the frame with some US Air Force decals from a plastic jet plane model. Anyway, one autumn afternoon while cycling to Hebrew school after regular school I met a fellow student who wanted a ride to school. He was larger than I so he did the pedaling while I sat on the crossbar and somehow the heel of my shoe got snagged in the front wheel spokes and down we went. We were all right but the front wheel was so bent so badly that I had to wheelbarrow the bike to the school. I was scared to bring the bike home afraid that Dad would get mad so I left it in the bike rack at the school and somehow avoided telling him - - for months. I have a vivid picture in my mind of the bike in the rack covered with snow. Come springtime the bike was gone, stolen. Come summertime I and my friends were playing basketball and some bad boys on bikes came over to give us some shit. One boy had a custom made bad boy bike with a big front wheel and smaller rear wheel, the frame of which was decorated with US Air Force decals. I said nothing. :oops:
“It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.” Mark Twain

Neige
Alpine Numpty

Postby Neige » 05 Oct 2018, 21:41

Jimbo wrote: So sandals and socks.

Oh, and sandals: always - with socks: never ever!!

driftin

Postby driftin » 05 Oct 2018, 21:45

I used to cycle religiously, then for the past 5 years I've been lazy and distracted by other more sedentary pursuits but now I feel like picking it up again. I've picked the wrong time of the year to start getting back into it though.

I have a Specialized something or other road bike.

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 05 Oct 2018, 22:00

I ride to work every day on my bike - 8 mile round trip. It's the only healthy thing I do.

I get very irritated by how much cars are overused in the well-connected city of London.
Goatboy to Belle:

"I suggest you retreat to the safety of your Facebook bubble. Griff has a post he needs you to like."

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 05 Oct 2018, 22:02

My bike is one for a gentleman of a certain age. It's almost un-nickably "old-twat."
Goatboy to Belle:

"I suggest you retreat to the safety of your Facebook bubble. Griff has a post he needs you to like."

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 05 Oct 2018, 22:08

Jimbo wrote:
Neige wrote:
Jimbo wrote:

:oops:

From the dumb shit I did as a kid department, my father had presented me with the coolest bicycle, a red Columbia three speed street bike. Had a back rack with a spring clasp, built-in twin headlights - it'd be worth some money if I had it today. Stupidly, I didn't like it. All my other friends had English racers with skinny tires and two handbrakes. My Columbia was distinctly American made. It had coaster brakes and one front handbrake. :x I had decorated the frame with some US Air Force decals from a plastic jet plane model. Anyway, one autumn afternoon while cycling to Hebrew school after regular school I met a fellow student who wanted a ride to school. He was larger than I so he did the pedaling while I sat on the crossbar and somehow the heel of my shoe got snagged in the front wheel spokes and down we went. We were all right but the front wheel was so bent so badly that I had to wheelbarrow the bike to the school. I was scared to bring the bike home afraid that Dad would get mad so I left it in the bike rack at the school and somehow avoided telling him - - for months. I have a vivid picture in my mind of the bike in the rack covered with snow. Come springtime the bike was gone, stolen. Come summertime I and my friends were playing basketball and some bad boys on bikes came over to give us some shit. One boy had a custom made bad boy bike with a big front wheel and smaller rear wheel, the frame of which was decorated with US Air Force decals. I said nothing. :oops:

:lol:

When I'm driving around town and I see a homeless guy riding a bike, I still look to see if they are the ones that got stolen.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

$P.Muff$

Postby $P.Muff$ » 05 Oct 2018, 22:10

Nearly in the second week of Oct. and it's still 90 degrees outside. The only time to ride is very earIy or near dark.

I'm going tomorrow to test ride the cheaper Trek Checkpoint with the aluminum frame. I need some more inspiration, and I wish there were bike shops around here with better selections than the big name brand stuff.

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 06 Oct 2018, 16:07

$P.Muff$ wrote:Nearly in the second week of Oct. and it's still 90 degrees outside. The only time to ride is very earIy or near dark.

I'm going tomorrow to test ride the cheaper Trek Checkpoint with the aluminum frame. I need some more inspiration, and I wish there were bike shops around here with better selections than the big name brand stuff.

Where do you live?
Goatboy to Belle:

$P.Muff$

Postby $P.Muff$ » 06 Oct 2018, 16:37

Butch Manly wrote:Where do you live?

MAGAland = rural southern US. Though I'm only about 10 miles from a liberal arts university town.

I called the bike shop a little after they opened this morning to see if they had a 56cm Checkpoint ALR 4 in stock, they did not. I then inquired if it was possible to set up an actual test ride on gravel, since that is what I predominently ride on. Negative. You can only test ride around the parking lot. So I told her I would seek a different option. There's no way I'm spending 2K on a gravel bike if I can't even test it on gravel.

$P.Muff$

Postby $P.Muff$ » 10 Oct 2018, 01:56

Just ordered these aluminum flats with adjustable traction pins:

Would have gladly bought them directly from the supposed best bike shop in the state if they didn't suck. Shit attitude and shit selection.

$P.Muff$

Postby $P.Muff$ » 15 Oct 2018, 10:13

Very pleased with my new pedals. The traction is so much better than the cheap resin Wellgo ones that came stock. And they look sharp. Next I'm gonna get a Brooks saddle - still trying to decide which one I want, though. Kind of a toss up between the B15 Swallow and a sprung Flyer at the moment. In the meantime, I'll just enjoy what I have and continue reading up on cool ass gravel bikes such as this:

https://jguillem.com/bike/atalaya-gravel

I've never ridden a titanium frame bike.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 15 Oct 2018, 13:18

British YouTuber Chris Broad (Abroad In Japan) is now on day three (or four) of his cycling "Journey Across Japan." Broad is a funny guy and all his videos are worthy. Posted below is his day before his journey video.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 22 Oct 2018, 17:51

Actual up to date shot of my bike, mid canal ride this afternoon. Tres excitement.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 22 Oct 2018, 18:24

Darkness_Fish wrote:Image

Actual up to date shot of my bike, mid canal ride this afternoon. Tres excitement.

Looks tired.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 23 Oct 2018, 09:12

You don't like me...do you?