Bicycles

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
$P.Muff$

Re: Bicycles

Postby $P.Muff$ » 02 Oct 2018, 15:01

My bike:

I wish I had spent a little more for disc brakes when I purchased this, as that would make it somewhat easier to switch my handlebars to drops. I'll probably get some nice aluminum flat pedals in the next week or so. I'd also love to have a Brooks leather saddle, possibly a sprung model, since I have no suspension.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 02 Oct 2018, 16:39

Pansy Puff wrote:Do you hate people who drive over the speed limit?

In fairness, I think Yomp just hates people. He's pretty Catholic in his contempt.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

$P.Muff$

Postby $P.Muff$ » 02 Oct 2018, 16:47

Much of the negativity directed towards cycling here is of the petty annoyance variety.

Now that I ride, I doubt I'd be as bothered by groups of road cyclists as I used to be when I lived in Colorado.

If people are assholes as a cyclist, or assholes as a car driver, you can pretty much guarantee they're that way in other aspects of their life so it seems dumb to paint either side with such a broad brush.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 02 Oct 2018, 17:15

There are good drivers and cyclists just as there are bad ones.

I think what we are seeing is an adjustment to ever-growing numbers of cyclists on the road. It will take time.

If you drive in places regularly where there are no cyclists, seeing them on the road causes you to change your driving. When cyclists weave in and out of slow moving traffic, it can take time to get used to. Seeing someone undertake you can be unsettling.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 02 Oct 2018, 20:56

Pansy Puff wrote:No one said, "why did she pull out from a junction in clear daylight and drive into you?"

Your reputation precedes you?
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...yet it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce, didn't it?

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 02 Oct 2018, 21:09

Was she blinded by your bonce?
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

$P.Muff$

Postby $P.Muff$ » 02 Oct 2018, 21:56

I'm interested to know what kind of bikes you all have. Details, please!

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 03 Oct 2018, 06:19

$P.Muff$ wrote:I'm interested to know what kind of bikes you all have. Details, please!

I have a mama-chari, the most ubiquitous pedaled, two-wheeled vehicle in Japan. How the cool kids get along without a basket I don't know but I use the basket all the time.
“It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.” Mark Twain

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 03 Oct 2018, 14:13

My current ride (now collecting dust in the garage) is a Miele custom shop frame converted to a non-fixed single speed. Another reason I don't ride anymore, aside from my issues with Toronto's traffic, is that I had an accident a few years ago in which my front wheel came off as I was riding down a hill toward a busy intersection. I went arse over teakettle and thankfully came away with only a fractured wrist (I wasn't wearing a helmet) and a few scrapes. It shook me up pretty bad though...

I've replaced that ugly BMX-style chainring with a more delicate looking one, but I don't have a recent picture.
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

borofan

Postby borofan » 03 Oct 2018, 16:46

yomptepi wrote:
Jimbo wrote:
yomptepi wrote: Who's the fuckwit now?

Consider who's got the larger carbon footprint. That's you in your autompollutionmobile.

But they aren't going anywhere Jim. Just getting in the fucking way. If there was some point to their obstructionism, I might feel differently.

And more fuckwittery.
We're usually skipping around the function room in our long-johns by now...

$P.Muff$

Postby $P.Muff$ » 03 Oct 2018, 21:32

Jimbo wrote:
$P.Muff$ wrote:I'm interested to know what kind of bikes you all have. Details, please!

I have a mama-chari, the most ubciquitous pedaled, two-wheeled vehicle in Japan. How the cool kids get along without a basket I don't know but I use the basket all the time.

Do they make a male version?

$P.Muff$

Postby $P.Muff$ » 03 Oct 2018, 21:36

Wally Bingbang wrote:My current ride (now collecting dust in the garage) is a Miele custom shop frame converted to a non-fixed single speed. Another reason I don't ride anymore, aside from my issues with Toronto's traffic, is that I had an accident a few years ago in which my front wheel came off as I was riding down a hill toward a busy intersection. I went arse over teakettle and thankfully came away with only a fractured wrist (I wasn't wearing a helmet) and a few scrapes. It shook me up pretty bad though...

I've replaced that ugly BMX-style chainring with a more delicate looking one, but I don't have a recent picture.

Those are some seriously narrow drop bars. Did you manage to figure out why your wheel came off?

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 03 Oct 2018, 22:02

$P.Muff$ wrote:
Those are some seriously narrow drop bars. Did you manage to figure out why your wheel came off?

They're not super narrow - I think the picture just makes them look that way.

As for the wheel, all I know is the quick release was loose. I had been in a bar after having played tennis, and although I don't check it every time I ride, I have a feeling it may have been tampered with while I was having a couple of beers - it being a somewhat sketchy part of town - but I have no proof of that.

$P.Muff$

Postby $P.Muff$ » 04 Oct 2018, 01:51

Wally Bingbang wrote:As for the wheel, all I know is the quick release was loose. I had been in a bar after having played tennis, and although I don't check it every time I ride, I have a feeling it may have been tampered with while I was having a couple of beers - it being a somewhat sketchy part of town - but I have no proof of that.

Well that sounds scary as fuck. I can't think of a worse malfunction, especially going downhill towards an intersection. In a way you're very lucky. I hope you get back out there more often soon, though I can't blame you for being a bit wary.

I'm curious though, why single speed?

One thing I find really interesting about bicycles is how even in this super consolidated market place, there are still boutique brands that cater to those who are in the know (and have the dough).

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 04 Oct 2018, 05:19

$P.Muff$ wrote:
Jimbo wrote:

I have a mama-chari, the most ubciquitous pedaled, two-wheeled vehicle in Japan. How the cool kids get along without a basket I don't know but I use the basket all the time.

Do they make a male version?

No.

More and more men are opting for Giant brand-style bikes here but this girly bike is what I ride these days. Mine's got five speeds, a straight, short (cooler) handlebar and a bell.
“It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.” Mark Twain

$P.Muff$

Postby $P.Muff$ » 04 Oct 2018, 12:39

It's a cool looking bike - perfect for just cruising around. I've considered getting fenders, but I haven't found any I really like yet.

Here's a UK built carbon frame gravel bike I would like to test ride, the Vielo V + 1:

It's in the same price range as the SL 6, but I like some of the specs more, although it only takes up to a 42mm tire (SL 6 is 45).

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 04 Oct 2018, 14:14

$P.Muff$ wrote:
Wally Bingbang wrote:As for the wheel, all I know is the quick release was loose. I had been in a bar after having played tennis, and although I don't check it every time I ride, I have a feeling it may have been tampered with while I was having a couple of beers - it being a somewhat sketchy part of town - but I have no proof of that.

Well that sounds scary as fuck. I can't think of a worse malfunction, especially going downhill towards an intersection. In a way you're very lucky. I hope you get back out there more often soon, though I can't blame you for being a bit wary.

I'm curious though, why single speed?

Thanks, it might happen eventually, but I think I'll swap out for a more functional bike. I can't stand the way new bikes look, and would ideally like a light-ish 90's mountain bike - maybe a titanium frame if I can find one.

The single speed is perfect for city riding, and it's so friggin' light I could throw it over my shoulder if I needed to bring it indoors or whatever. It's also a throwback to my messenger days.

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 04 Oct 2018, 15:28

I don't drive, so the bicycle is my everyday companion. :P

This is an Aarios Experience (mine has a few adjustments like leather handles, different pedals and a carrier with springs). It's a Swiss-made steel-frame with a 17-gear Rohloff speedhub. I've bought it half a year ago, it was quite an investment at around 3500 quid, but it's simply the best bike I ever had. I love it to bits.
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

$P.Muff$

Postby $P.Muff$ » 04 Oct 2018, 18:17

Wally Bingbang wrote:The single speed is perfect for city riding, and it's so friggin' light I could throw it over my shoulder if I needed to bring it indoors or whatever. It's also a throwback to my messenger days.

You ever have a bike with downtube shifters?

$P.Muff$

Postby $P.Muff$ » 04 Oct 2018, 18:18

Neige wrote:I don't drive, so the bicycle is my everyday companion. :P

This is an Aarios Experience (mine has a few adjustments like leather handles, different pedals and a carrier with springs). It's a Swiss-made steel-frame with a 17-gear Rohloff speedhub. I've bought it half a year ago, it was quite an investment at around 3500 quid, but it's simply the best bike I ever had. I love it to bits.

Very cool bike. I'd be afraid of someone stealing it if I lived in a city, though.