Bicycles

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
The Prof
Composing a revolutionary symphony

Re: Bicycles

Postby The Prof » 02 Oct 2018, 09:05

I think it's possible to hate all of them. And more.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 02 Oct 2018, 09:11

I'm with The Prof. It's people that are the problem, lets hate on them.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 02 Oct 2018, 09:13

I have nothing against cyclists at all, but I can somewhat understand the ire of motorists.I saw a bunch of cyclists the other day and there must have been 30 or 40 of them, it was like the Tour de France had hit town. I can imagine navigating through that lot would be quite burdensome. Perhaps a compromise could be reached and they could limit their groupings to five or six?

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 02 Oct 2018, 09:49

That’s not the issue. It is the fact that cyclists do not have to go through the same regulatory process to be on the road. Anyone can simply pick up a bike and ride on the road without the same need for a test to ensure that they abide by the rules as motorists do.

I’m both a cyclist and a motorist, the latter most recently. And large gaggles of cyclists are a problem on the road. It’s difficult to overtake them and often they ride 5 abreast without any concern for traffic behind them. In their defence I will say that they are not overly common where I live and that they tend to be at the weekend and on certain roads only.

Ultimately cyclists on the road are here to stay and I think that is a good thing for the environment, but there is a wanky bullishness about MAMILs that is very offputting. A few of my friends are cycling enthusiasts and I guess I now know what it’s like to have friends who are into something that you have no interest in; my eyes glaze over at talk of frames, ascents etc.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 02 Oct 2018, 09:50

We all know that cycling is the 21st century equivalent of golf.

space. invadere
hounds people off the board

Postby space. invadere » 02 Oct 2018, 09:52

The Modernist wrote:I have nothing against cyclists at all, but I can somewhat understand the ire of motorists.I saw a bunch of cyclists the other day and there must have been 30 or 40 of them, it was like the Tour de France had hit town. I can imagine navigating through that lot would be quite burdensome. Perhaps a compromise could be reached and they could limit their groupings to five or six?

yours,

irate of Harpenden
GoogaMooga wrote:I've been GoogaMooga everywhere since I went online in 2005. There are copycats on the web incl a Brooklyn Food Festival, who have even adopted my camel case "M".

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 02 Oct 2018, 10:06

Pansy Puff wrote:
The Modernist wrote:I have nothing against cyclists at all, but I can somewhat understand the ire of motorists.I saw a bunch of cyclists the other day and there must have been 30 or 40 of them, it was like the Tour de France had hit town. I can imagine navigating through that lot would be quite burdensome. Perhaps a compromise could be reached and they could limit their groupings to five or six?

I saw a traffic jam the other day. There was a bunch of cars; there must have been 50 or 60 of then. It was like the Dakar rally had hit town. I can imagine being in the middle of that lot would be quite burdensome, not to mention the damage to the environment through pollution. Perhaps a compromise could be reached and they could limit their groupings to 5 or 6? Especially in well populated areas?

But those bunch of cars hadn't deliberately congregated together. Why the need to go out in such large numbers? You're not Hells Angels.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 02 Oct 2018, 10:07

The other week I passed cyclists riding two abreast on the coastal road at Southport. Next to the cycle path. It was all I could do to stop myself from running them over and violating their corpses.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

wannabee enfant terrible
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby wannabee enfant terrible » 02 Oct 2018, 10:12

Seems a bit much. Could you not have just nudged them over the cliff?
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Kal ‘Roger Cock’ Hodgson wrote:I have just discovered that the fake Markus account was not John...I would like to apologise for suggesting it was him.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 02 Oct 2018, 10:26

I’ve only started driving again recently after a break of over 20 years (I only drove for a short while after passing my test) so I’d never really encountered cyclists until recently.

I can totally understand the annoyance. It’s not uncommon in my experience for cyclists to ignore red lights. It boils my piss when I see adult cyclists on pavements (I can understand kids obviously using them for safety reasons). I know it’s legal for cyclists to ride two abreast but some do break the rules by riding more than two abreast and it’s very annoying when they do this on narrow and/or busy roads where overtaking is limited. Predictably you end up with the cyclists at the front and a line of cars behind them crawling along.

I understand there are safety concerns here hence the two abreast thing but when you are on a road with the national speed limit and you are stuck behind cyclists taking up the entire left lane and travelling at, like, 10 miles an hour then it is annoying. I think in that situation they should be mindful and ride single file as much as possible but some clearly don’t as a way of winding up motorists I suspect. Rule 66 of the Highway code advises this but some clearly ignore it. In that situation drivers have a right to be annoyed.

Of course there are plenty arsehole drivers who I would never defend but, yeah, I get why some drivers hate 'em
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

$P.Muff$

Postby $P.Muff$ » 02 Oct 2018, 11:41

How NOT to ride in the city!

This fella is obviously a very talented rider, but blowing past pedestrians, and just generally being way too aggressive is idiotic. I don't understand the fixie craze either.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 02 Oct 2018, 12:02

As a driver I’ve never had any problems with cyclists on the road. It seems to an issue specific to Britain so maybe it’s not cyclists that are cunts per se but it’s British people in general.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 02 Oct 2018, 12:07

I would suggest that you brits upgrade your roads so that they're not two feet wide and then you'll enjoy room enough for everybody.
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 02 Oct 2018, 12:14

kalowski II: The Revenge wrote:Seems a bit much. Could you not have just nudged them over the cliff?

Cliff? have you been to Southport?
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

wannabee enfant terrible
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby wannabee enfant terrible » 02 Oct 2018, 12:15

God no, is it in the Industrial North?

Kal ‘Roger Cock’ Hodgson wrote:I have just discovered that the fake Markus account was not John...I would like to apologise for suggesting it was him.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 02 Oct 2018, 12:21

Wally Bingbang wrote:I would suggest that you brits upgrade your roads so that they're not two feet wide and then you'll enjoy room enough for everybody.

But our cycle lanes have room for everyone:

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 02 Oct 2018, 12:22

Rayge wrote:
kalowski II: The Revenge wrote:Seems a bit much. Could you not have just nudged them over the cliff?

Cliff? have you been to Southport?

I let it go. I didn't want to explain the outside world to someone in Norwich.

wannabee enfant terrible
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby wannabee enfant terrible » 02 Oct 2018, 12:26

Cliff from Norwich, my identity has been breached!

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 02 Oct 2018, 13:43

Darkness_Fish wrote:
Wally Bingbang wrote:I would suggest that you brits upgrade your roads so that they're not two feet wide and then you'll enjoy room enough for everybody.

But our cycle lanes have room for everyone:

I suppose you'd call that a four-lane highway?
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 02 Oct 2018, 14:04

Cycling this evening to teach a class and I had to wait and wait at a crosswalk for those cunty pedestrians to make a little space for me and my bicycle. Them walkers in their clothes, men with neckties and women in their dresses, ooh, and some with baby strollers. :roll:
Some say the glass is half-empty others half-full. I say. "Lemme see that glass!"