Bicycles

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Darkness_Fish

Re: Bicycles

Postby Darkness_Fish » 23 Oct 2018, 09:14

Blimey. It didn't even vote Tory.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

borofan

Postby borofan » 23 Oct 2018, 17:29

yomptepi wrote:Image

Witty as ever, I see...
We're usually skipping around the function room in our long-johns by now...

$P.Muff$

Postby $P.Muff$ » 24 Oct 2018, 00:31

Has anyone here changed out their entire groupset on their own? It'll be a little while before I give it a go, and I feel pretty confident in my abilities working on stuff but shit like this always looks easier than it is before you get started.

$P.Muff$

Postby $P.Muff$ » 06 Nov 2018, 23:54

My Brooks flyer & tin of proofide has been departing Heathrow Worldwide Distribution Centre since this morning. Maybe it'll be here by early next week at the latest. I'm excited.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 07 Nov 2018, 09:38

I love to listen to my iPod as I ride but it is in fact illegal but not strictly enforced. I pull out my earbuds if I see the cops and replace them when I'm out of sight. They say it is dangerous but so far I've had no prob - so far. But I keep my eyes open, look both ways, etc. It feels safe. Nonetheless, I am thinking of replacing my ear buds with a wearable speaker, the type that sits around my neck and so that way I can hear horns and busses. The problem is the price. The one I'd ideally like to have is the Bose at $300. A cheap version can be had for $70. Thing is I don't know how the cheapo version sounds, I'm pretty sure it's crap and will soon end up in my desk drawer with all the other cheap and disappointing gadgets I've bought over the millennia. Any suggestions?
Some say the glass is half-empty others half-full. I say. "Lemme see that glass!"

$P.Muff$

Postby $P.Muff$ » 07 Nov 2018, 11:36

Just be cool and strap a big boombox to your bike. Yeah!

I definitely wouldn't ride in the city with ear buds.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 07 Nov 2018, 11:55

$P.Muff$ wrote:Just be cool and strap a big boombox to your bike. Yeah!

Hmm. I do have a Blue Tooth speaker, a pretty good one, too. Chuck it in the basket and I'm the noisiest cyclist in Tokyo. But what the heck, right?
Some say the glass is half-empty others half-full. I say. "Lemme see that glass!"

borofan

Postby borofan » 07 Nov 2018, 18:12

Jimbo wrote:I love to listen to my iPod as I ride

Utter stupidity (unless you're on a turbo trainer at home, of course). You need ALL your senses on full alert at all times when riding.
We're usually skipping around the function room in our long-johns by now...

$P.Muff$

Postby $P.Muff$ » 07 Nov 2018, 18:25

I'm trying to get away from tech gadgets when I ride. I don't care to know how many watts I'm producing or how many miles I've ridden. I just want to be out in nature having fun, and I ride pretty hard at times so while music might help me get in the zone or whatever, I'd rather know if my bike starts making a horrible noise.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 08 Nov 2018, 07:57

Jimbo wrote:
$P.Muff$ wrote:Just be cool and strap a big boombox to your bike. Yeah!

Hmm. I do have a Blue Tooth speaker, a pretty good one, too. Chuck it in the basket and I'm the noisiest cyclist in Tokyo. But what the heck, right?

And I did it! Just back from my maiden ride with my mini-speaker bunji-corded to the handlebar column and it worked like a charm. The coolest mama-chari in Tokyo! No more earphones for me. I startled any number of pedestrians but I got a thumbs up from a kid who looks like Otto the school bus driver. Man, Mariah Carey never sounded so good. :D

$P.Muff$

Postby $P.Muff$ » 12 Nov 2018, 10:32

Had to exchange my pedals Saturday as the drive side was leaking grease and spinning considerably slower than the left side. Took the bike in to a different shop farther away from home and was very pleased with their attitude. There was a recall on the Pro Line aluminum flats back in the summer but the issues were supposed to be resolved. I decided to go with the Elites which are half the price:

Made the difference up with this 450 lumen rechargeable front light:

My saddle will be here tomorrow. Would be today but it's a holiday and all...

$P.Muff$

Postby $P.Muff$ » 12 Nov 2018, 13:11

harvey k-tel wrote: I can't stand the way new bikes look, and would ideally like a light-ish 90's mountain bike - maybe a titanium frame if I can find one.

You got me looking at vintage titanium bikes on eBay. Some really nice looking stuff, and kinda perfect for the kind of riding I like to do. There was a Gary Fisher model I really liked, but it was close to 6 grand for the complete bike.

What's the feel of titanium in comparison to aluminum?

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 12 Nov 2018, 14:12

$P.Muff$ wrote:
harvey k-tel wrote: I can't stand the way new bikes look, and would ideally like a light-ish 90's mountain bike - maybe a titanium frame if I can find one.

You got me looking at vintage titanium bikes on eBay. Some really nice looking stuff, and kinda perfect for the kind of riding I like to do. There was a Gary Fisher model I really liked, but it was close to 6 grand for the complete bike.

What's the feel of titanium in comparison to aluminum?

It's been a long time since I went in depth and nerded out on bike stuff, but from what I recall, titanium is a bit more rigid than aluminum - a bit more like chromoly, but much lighter.
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

$P.Muff$

Postby $P.Muff$ » 12 Nov 2018, 14:51

Shockingly enough, I'm not familiar with chromoly either, though titanium seems to be a better option than carbon fiber. I'm pretty happy with my cheap aluminum frame, honestly.

$P.Muff$

Postby $P.Muff$ » 14 Nov 2018, 15:27

Prettay crappay out all week, haven't rode much but here's my bike with new pedals and a luxurious handmade leather Brooks Flyer sprung saddle:

I found another, even better bike shop that deals in used parts, which will hopefully help me keep this gravel / cyclocross conversion I have in mind cost effective.