Bicycles

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Jimbo

Bicycles

Postby Jimbo » 28 Sep 2018, 15:46

Autumn is finally here. I'm thinking of replacing my "mama-chari," my girls shopping bike with something more macho. At the very least I want a bike with a ball buster bar. I also don't want racing handlebars, the curve under jobs. Ideally, I want something we called an "English racer" when I was a kid, three gears, skinny tires and handbrakes. Three gears? These days? Even my girly bike has five. A low price would be nice, too - and that may be a problem. The bike I saw in the shop yesterday, the one like, is blue, no fenders, short, straight handlebars, not much of any amenities. It's got a simple thumb bell. Well, it is among the cheapest bikes there, about $200. They have some bikes there that cost $600 but that little cheap blue job has my eye. But it could turn out to be a piece of crap. My girly bike is two years old and cost me $120 and never broke down.

Question, if its got no fenders isn't there a problem with rain water splashing up my back? I'm usually dressed for work when I ride and can't show up with a wet back.

Helmet, never rode with one will it be a hassle. My wife wants me to wear a helmet.

Do you ride a bike?
Gadfly

Wally Bingbang
Long Player

Re: Bicycles

Postby Wally Bingbang » 28 Sep 2018, 15:55

Get the cheap bike, you dummy. And get fenders, too, or yes, you will get a racing stripe up your back if you ride in the rain.

I stopped riding a bike a few years ago, because even though I was a bike messenger in the 90's and rode without any fear whatsoever, traffic and drivers in Toronto just keep getting worse and worse. There are separate bike lanes on some of the major arterial streets, but they're always packed with slowpoke weaving dawdler cyclists which can be even more frustrating than some of the idiot car drivers.

Don't worry about the helmet - I doubt it would make much difference if you cracked your skull open.
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 28 Sep 2018, 16:31

I was a pushbike messenger in London for a while, got an old "grandfather" bike for that purpose, one with (only) three gears. I wasn't used to that gear business, and made the mistake of keeping it in high gear every time I stopped at a red light. So when I got back on it, I'd strain my right leg too much. All I ever got out of that gig was a bad knee. The company was called "On yer bike", qqv. Norman Tebbitt.
1966 and all that

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 28 Sep 2018, 16:35

I've had two bikes stolen in the last eight months. One a $400 bike and the other $800. My son's friend got it stolen in front of a hardware store and my son got it stolen from a bike rack at a public park.

He's now riding a $50 bike I bought off Facebook Marketplace.

And neither he or his friends can ride mine.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 28 Sep 2018, 16:59

GoogaMooga wrote: I wasn't used to that gear business, and made the mistake of keeping it in high gear every time I stopped at a red light.

Funny, after all these years I just learned about downshifting before coming to a stop. Taking off in first gear is a snap! Taking off in fifth is a strain.
Gadfly

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 28 Sep 2018, 17:55

I got a bike for my birthday a few years ago, because I was sick of driving the 1.5 miles up the hill to the shops. Thought it'd be healthier to try and cycle. I got a hybrid, which is like a road bike, but with a bit of comfort and off-road ability too. A total of 27 gears, if you were mad enough to ever try low/high combinations to that extent. Since Tom's got older, and family life is more demanding, I hardly ever have energy or time to use it, if I do, I tend to use it just as a getaway down the canal on a weekend. And that's not too healthy since the country's best ice-cream parlour is towards the end of my route.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 28 Sep 2018, 17:57

Darkness_Fish wrote: And that's not too healthy since the country's best ice-cream parlour is towards the end of my route.
That's a big claim. For England or the UK? Have you got a link?

oh, and sod bicycles and the self-righteous pedestrian-mowing oafs who can often be found piloting them
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 28 Sep 2018, 18:03

Rayge wrote:
Darkness_Fish wrote: And that's not too healthy since the country's best ice-cream parlour is towards the end of my route.

oh, and sod bicycles and the self-righteous pedestrian-mowing oafs who can often be found piloting them

http://fredericksicecream.co.uk/BoltonRoad/

I have to say, I don't frequent ice-cream parlours that regularly, and I speak with a certain amount of knowledge that it's in the north, and therefore superior by default. But seriously, it's a local landmark, the queue is nearly always massive on a weekend, it can take an hour to be served.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 29 Sep 2018, 16:24

Aw gee. My mother, I mean my wife, says I already have a bicycle and can't have another.
Gadfly

borofan

Postby borofan » 29 Sep 2018, 17:11

Jimbo wrote:Aw gee. My mother, I mean my wife, says I already have a bicycle and can't have another.

The equation for the correct number of bicycles to own is: however many you have now + 1.
We're usually skipping around the function room in our long-johns by now...

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 29 Sep 2018, 17:22

You don't like me...do you?

Nick?? Dougie??
funky thigh collector

Postby Nick?? Dougie?? » 29 Sep 2018, 17:25

Darkness_Fish wrote:
Rayge wrote:

http://fredericksicecream.co.uk/BoltonRoad/

I have to say, I don't frequent ice-cream parlours that regularly, and I speak with a certain amount of knowledge that it's in the north, and therefore superior by default. But seriously, it's a local landmark, the queue is nearly always massive on a weekend, it can take an hour to be served.

I know the place very very well! I used to cycle there at least a couple of times a month along the canal. Happy days indeed! I used to enjoy sitting there watching people’s dogs lean over and devour the ice cream of kids in strollers

:lol:

:oops:
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 29 Sep 2018, 17:31

I ride a bike to work every weekday, mainly along a canal and through parks. I wear a helmet because I have a 10 year old son and don't want to die just yet, but it does make my head sweat a bit.
I bought a second hand bike from a charity which repairs and services old bikes. Handily my next door neighbour runs a bike servicing operation.

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 29 Sep 2018, 18:00

borofan wrote:
Jimbo wrote:Aw gee. My mother, I mean my wife, says I already have a bicycle and can't have another.

The equation for the correct number of bicycles to own is: however many you have now + 1.

That's about right. :)
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

borofan

Postby borofan » 30 Sep 2018, 17:08

yomptepi wrote:Image

Fuckwit.
We're usually skipping around the function room in our long-johns by now...

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 30 Sep 2018, 17:32

borofan wrote:
yomptepi wrote:[]

Fuckwit.

Humourless drone.

It is supposed to be funny, but maybe you should try getting anywhere at the weekend where I live. all the filthy Londoners who think it will be ever so much fun to bring their bikes and their lycra to go for a ride in the Chilterns. First of all they all park wherever they like, and block the roads for residents. Then off they go in packs of 15 or 20, often 5 abreast, shouting at each other as they go. Riding 5 abreast and screaming abuse at anyone who might dare to want to go more than 10 mph along a 70 mph stretch of road. But can you get past them ? No you can not. Not for all the wanker signs, and verbal abuse and trying to throw themselves in front of you whilst calling you a lunatic. They are all utter cunts. I was stuck behind a slow moving "peleton " (sic) of half dead 50 somethings, as the panted and groaned their way up Frith Hill at 5 mph. Each car that tried to pass was greeted with abuse and foul language , and hand waving gestures.

Who's the fuckwit now?

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 30 Sep 2018, 17:34

yomptepi wrote:
borofan wrote:
yomptepi wrote:[]

Fuckwit.

Humourless drone.

It is supposed to be funny, but maybe you should try getting anywhere at the weekend where I live. all the filthy Londoners who think it will be ever so much fun to bring their bikes and their lycra to go for a ride in the Chilterns. First of all they all park wherever they like, and block the roads for residents. Then off they go in packs of 15 or 20, often 5 abreast, shouting at each other as they go. Riding 5 abreast and screaming abuse at anyone who might dare to want to go more than 10 mph along a 70 mph stretch of road. But can you get past them ? No you can not. Not for all the wanker signs, and verbal abuse and trying to throw themselves in front of you whilst calling you a lunatic. They are all utter cunts. I was stuck behind a slow moving "peleton " (sic) of half dead 50 somethings, as the panted and groaned their way up Frith Hill at 5 mph. Each car that tried to pass was greeted with abuse and foul language , and hand waving gestures.

Who's the fuckwit now?

Probably worth noting that here in the countryside we don't get too many cyclists who commute as the roads are just too dangerous. So most of the people who are out for a ride are going nowhere and just want to hold up people who do.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 30 Sep 2018, 17:40

yomptepi wrote: Who's the fuckwit now?

Consider who's got the larger carbon footprint. That's you in your autompollutionmobile.
Gadfly

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 30 Sep 2018, 18:06

Nick?? Dougie?? wrote:I know the place very very well! I used to cycle there at least a couple of times a month along the canal. Happy days indeed! I used to enjoy sitting there watching people’s dogs lean over and devour the ice cream of kids in strollers

:lol:

:oops:

That stretch of canal is beautiful, I start at Adlington and can get close to the mean streets of Pleasington within an hour or two. I baulk at the idea of cycling anywhere that might be less flat than a canal towpath these days. Especially as canal side pubs also tend to be quite pleasant, too.

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 30 Sep 2018, 18:54

Jimbo wrote:
yomptepi wrote: Who's the fuckwit now?

Consider who's got the larger carbon footprint. That's you in your autompollutionmobile.

But they aren't going anywhere Jim. Just getting in the fucking way. If there was some point to their obstructionism, I might feel differently.