Dichotomy of when to use "girl" and "boy"

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
User avatar
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies
Posts: 24906
Joined: 28 Sep 2010, 05:23
Location: Denmark

Re: Dichotomy of when to use "girl" and "boy"

Postby GoogaMooga » 28 Sep 2018, 16:24

One thing I have noticed - mainly from the news - is that police reports will use "woman" even for girls in their late teens, at least. They have to be precise.
1966 and all that

User avatar
Jimbo
Posts: 15641
Joined: 26 Dec 2009, 21:22

Re: Dichotomy of when to use "girl" and "boy"

Postby Jimbo » 28 Sep 2018, 17:37

Quaco wrote:Yes, it is a question. We must all find the line for ourselves, part of being in a society with other people. I usually try to say "woman", but sometimes it just doesn't make sense. I think women will allow a certain amount of leeway in borderline cases. I've never been called out on it.


Do you use "Ms?"
“It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.” Mark Twain

User avatar
Davey the Fat Boy
Posts: 23785
Joined: 05 Jan 2006, 02:55
Location: Applebees

Re: Dichotomy of when to use "girl" and "boy"

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 28 Sep 2018, 17:39

Is it any more awkward to use the term “young woman” than it is “young man?”
The opinions of this poster are subjective. That’s how opinions work.

Image

User avatar
Quaco
F R double E
Posts: 47022
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:41

Re: Dichotomy of when to use "girl" and "boy"

Postby Quaco » 28 Sep 2018, 17:52

Jimbo wrote:
Quaco wrote:Yes, it is a question. We must all find the line for ourselves, part of being in a society with other people. I usually try to say "woman", but sometimes it just doesn't make sense. I think women will allow a certain amount of leeway in borderline cases. I've never been called out on it.


Do you use "Ms?"

Occasionally. Certainly never say "Miss", and say "Mrs." only when I know or when it's the mother of one of my friends. But in conversation, you don't really need these too much.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

User avatar
Jimbo
Posts: 15641
Joined: 26 Dec 2009, 21:22

Re: Dichotomy of when to use "girl" and "boy"

Postby Jimbo » 28 Sep 2018, 18:05

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:Is it any more awkward to use the term “young woman” than it is “young man?”


Assuming ones age is a micro-aggression, mister.
“It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.” Mark Twain

User avatar
sloopjohnc
Posts: 63865
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12

Re: Dichotomy of when to use "girl" and "boy"

Postby sloopjohnc » 28 Sep 2018, 18:10

The Modernist wrote:I don't think there are clear rules on this. The same (one could say sexist) imbalance exists here too. But it is becoming less acceptable to refer to a woman in her mid twenties say as a girl, so I'd say it is gradually changing. One interesting, related issue is there have always been far more slang words, which can help perform this function, for men than women - so in the UK you have guy, bloke, geezer, chap, fella and so on. Yet there's very few for women, which is why "guys" has started to be used in a collective way for both sexes, although I don't hear it used in the singular for women.


In California, dude is used as well as guy sometimes. I've heard it.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

User avatar
Jimbo
Posts: 15641
Joined: 26 Dec 2009, 21:22

Re: Dichotomy of when to use "girl" and "boy"

Postby Jimbo » 28 Sep 2018, 18:15

sloopjohnc wrote:
The Modernist wrote:I don't think there are clear rules on this. The same (one could say sexist) imbalance exists here too. But it is becoming less acceptable to refer to a woman in her mid twenties say as a girl, so I'd say it is gradually changing. One interesting, related issue is there have always been far more slang words, which can help perform this function, for men than women - so in the UK you have guy, bloke, geezer, chap, fella and so on. Yet there's very few for women, which is why "guys" has started to be used in a collective way for both sexes, although I don't hear it used in the singular for women.


In California, dude is used as well as guy sometimes. I've heard it.


Does no one call men "cats" anymore? Dis cat and dat cat ...
“It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.” Mark Twain

Hugh
Posts: 15726
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:43

Re: Dichotomy of when to use "girl" and "boy"

Postby Hugh » 28 Sep 2018, 18:19

Jimbo wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:
The Modernist wrote:I don't think there are clear rules on this. The same (one could say sexist) imbalance exists here too. But it is becoming less acceptable to refer to a woman in her mid twenties say as a girl, so I'd say it is gradually changing. One interesting, related issue is there have always been far more slang words, which can help perform this function, for men than women - so in the UK you have guy, bloke, geezer, chap, fella and so on. Yet there's very few for women, which is why "guys" has started to be used in a collective way for both sexes, although I don't hear it used in the singular for women.


In California, dude is used as well as guy sometimes. I've heard it.


Does no one call men "cats" anymore? Dis cat and dat cat ...


No one who’s not Keith Richards.

User avatar
sloopjohnc
Posts: 63865
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12

Re: Dichotomy of when to use "girl" and "boy"

Postby sloopjohnc » 28 Sep 2018, 18:59

Hugh wrote:
Jimbo wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:
In California, dude is used as well as guy sometimes. I've heard it.


Does no one call men "cats" anymore? Dis cat and dat cat ...


No one who’s not Keith Richards.


:lol:

Good one.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

User avatar
The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!
Posts: 12851
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: Dichotomy of when to use "girl" and "boy"

Postby The Modernist » 02 Oct 2018, 18:47

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:Is it any more awkward to use the term “young woman” than it is “young man?”


I don't how old I'd have to be before I used the term 'young man' ..about 78 I think!

User avatar
Flower
Posts: 5286
Joined: 05 Mar 2009, 22:22
Location: Unlisted

Re: Dichotomy of when to use "girl" and "boy"

Postby Flower » 02 Oct 2018, 19:47

I use the term "girl" or "boy" to call dogs and cats of all ages.
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.