Kavanaugh Hearings

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Re: Kavanaugh Hearings

Postby Matt Wilson » 29 Sep 2018, 19:50

At least Al Franken had the sense to step down.
John Coan wrote:I've lived in many different countries in Europe and whenever I come home I think 'England is the best'

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 30 Sep 2018, 04:02

Good New Yorker article if you haven’t used up your freebies for the month.
https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-des ... I5NTY2NAS2
Why didn’t Ramirez testify? GOP Senate staffers only released the parts of an email that backed up their version of why. Pretty sickening.
Give me a C, a bouncy C!

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 30 Sep 2018, 04:11

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 30 Sep 2018, 16:11

John Coan wrote:I've lived in many different countries in Europe and whenever I come home I think 'England is the best'

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 30 Sep 2018, 19:15

This is worth quoting at length, so I will.

It was Kavanaugh’s [] willingness to chuck aside the entire convention of judicial dispassion, and present himself as an enraged partisan standing shoulder to shoulder with every conservative who has been called something mean by a snotty college student, that convinced his party to close ranks behind him.

By deftly channeling their shared grievances against the left, Kavanaugh gave conservatives a way to overlook all the facts that had troubled them before: The curious gap in his calendar of 1982, which appeared to show a gathering that lined up with Ford’s own account. (Read Philip Bump’s excavation of this key unexplored detail.) Or the many implausible explanations Kavanaugh gave of his yearbook, which he might have truthfully explained as caddish youthful boasts, but instead explained away with his implausible choirboy cover story. It was all ignored because he was a Republican under siege from the left.

Kavanaugh’s speech was truly Trumpian, in a way that revealed how Trump tapped so deeply into the conservative soul. He dispensed with any pretense of law as a neutral value. Everything was reduced to power and motive. He invoked his own work to impeach Bill Clinton (on a sprawling investigation that began as a probe of an old land deal), and managed not to find any case for self-reflection in this episode at all. Instead he mentioned it to show that Democrats were vile liars bent on destroying their prey. And the notion that Democrats have hatched secret plots to undermine the legitimate government as revenge for the Clintons — a central theme of Trump’s rhetoric — formed the spine of Kavanaugh’s case.

Perhaps the most chilling line in Kavanaugh’s speech was, “what goes around, comes around.” He did not say it with any evident sadness, nor did he renounce it as a value. Here was a man apparently threatening revenge on his political enemies, and asking for a lifetime appointment with supreme power of judicial review with which to do it.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/20 ... stice.html
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 30 Sep 2018, 20:59

I think that’s very well reasoned and expressed. I’ve a couple of conservatives in my Facebook feeds looking for a fight but I don’t see any point to it. They don’t care what their FOX News Judge did or will do. They only care that he is appointed to stave off the Liberal enemies of America. They like that he is disrespectful and thin skinned to those enemies. They feel as entitled to his appointment as he does.
Give me a C, a bouncy C!

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 30 Sep 2018, 22:29

I'll do you one better, snee. I know Republican women on Facebook who tow the party line and think Dr. Ford is an ugly bitch, and that Kavanaugh conducted himself with dignity etc. And of course, that the Democratic party is acting in shameful ways because there's zero proof, yada, yada, yada.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 01 Oct 2018, 00:59

It’s starting look to me like the only reason the White House called for an investigation is so they can speak of it in the past tense. I hope they get more than they bargained for.
Give me a C, a bouncy C!

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 01 Oct 2018, 02:01

Oh well, there's almost nothing the GOP can complain about with regards to future Democratic Presidents. I mean, what are they gonna say that Trump and his cronies haven't already done?

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 01 Oct 2018, 16:26

Jeff Flake is just trying to have his cake and eat it, too. Screw that guy. If he was truly down he would have voted Kavanaugh down in committee.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 01 Oct 2018, 16:32

Sneelock wrote:It’s starting look to me like the only reason the White House called for an investigation is so they can speak of it in the past tense. I hope they get more than they bargained for.

Ditto.

Last night, a hoops playing friend of Kavanaugh from Yale came out and said Kavvy boy severely downplayed his drinking. He is now part of the FBI investigation.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 01 Oct 2018, 17:17

Sneelock wrote:It’s starting look to me like the only reason the White House called for an investigation is so they can speak of it in the past tense. I hope they get more than they bargained for.

I bet the investigators are going to conclude that Dr. Ford was actually mean old Mr. McGillicuddy the groundskeeper in disguise and that he would have gotten away with it if it hadn't been for those meddling Democrats.

Tap the keg, break out the bigass sandwiches

Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 01 Oct 2018, 17:45

Matt Wilson wrote: I know Republican women on Facebook who tow the party line and think Dr. Ford is an ugly bitch

Dr Pedanticus writes "TOE, man, toe": meaning, standing up to be counted, coming up to the plate, etc.
Nothing to do with towin' that barge.

:oops: Sorry Matt, couldn't help myself
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 01 Oct 2018, 17:47

Count Machuki wrote:Jeff Flake is just trying to have his cake and eat it, too. Screw that guy. If he was truly down he would have voted Kavanaugh down in committee.

That isn't my read. I think Flake figured they were gonna get the votes they needed with or without him but that maybe THEY weren't so sure, so decided to use what leverage he had to negotiate an investigation. Which almost certainly would NOT have happened without him.

But what do I know.

$P.Muff$

Postby $P.Muff$ » 01 Oct 2018, 18:03

I lost all faith in this nomination when the Rs failed to secure a contract with Van Halen to perform a live re-worked version of "Panama" (KAVANAUGH!!!) as he entered the hearing last week.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 01 Oct 2018, 18:05

I think Flake’s little public relations disaster had more to do with his calling for the investigation than any other single factor.
Give me a C, a bouncy C!

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 02 Oct 2018, 18:30

With the new report that Kavanaugh got into a beer fight after a UB40 concert, I'm kinda glad they didn't see Motorhead instead.

Apparently, ex Yale and NBA player, Chris Dudley, was the guy who hit the other patron with a beer. If you know anything about Chris Dudley and his poor free throw percentage, I'm surprised the guy could hit anything.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Stille Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Stille Baron » 02 Oct 2018, 18:58

Matt Wilson wrote:The question is, will Trump or the GOP Senate care what the FBI comes up with? I'd like to say there must be some Republican senators with a conscience, but I'm not so sure. I don't think it matters one iota to these clowns if Kavanaugh is a pig or not, as long as they put one of their own in there.

I think it’s all about the three R Senators who are on the fence. If there is any corroboration of the allegations or proof of lies then he’s toast. If not they’ve done their due diligence (in their mind). I read something the other day that Trump has no plan b if Kavanaugh falls through.

At this point, nothing would surprise me.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

$P.Muff$

Postby $P.Muff$ » 03 Oct 2018, 01:27

At least this jerk won't be getting paid to teach any time soon. Interesting that he was hired by Kagan at Harvard - can't help but wonder what the conversations amongst the current sitting justices are.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 03 Oct 2018, 01:32

$P.Muff$ wrote:can't help but wonder what the conversations amongst the current sitting justices are.

I wonder that a LOT.

It seems like they really oughta have some say in the matter. (Or maybe not.)