Kavanaugh Hearings

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Jimbo

Re: Kavanaugh Hearings

Postby Jimbo » 28 Sep 2018, 13:29

never/ever wrote:Ah yes, Zerohedge, the anti-establishment, pro-Russian, batshit-insane financial blog run by a dude calling himself Tyler Durden.

That.

Anti-establishment??? NO!

My bad. I supposed that no matter the messenger the actual message made sense and that message is the Dems are shooting themselves again by taking this tack against Kavanaugh. Yeah, K seems to have done some creepy shit 30 years ago but he's probably been a good boy (assault-ly speaking) since. Thereafter he's a been a bastard politically which is where not hysterical people would normally attack. It just strikes we non-Puritan types as overly prudish and a bit #Me Too-y. And like the way Trump's over-the-top sexual words and deeds were picked on won him the WH, the same reversal of sense will hold for K and he will be selected - with some Democratic votes to boot. What they should have done is boycott the process. Give the Republicans a taste of their own medicine.
Some say the glass is half-empty others half-full. I say. "Lemme see that glass!"

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 28 Sep 2018, 14:07

Jimbo's guy wrote:Rather than focus public attention on Kavanaugh’s ultra-right political views—his opposition to abortion rights, his rubber-stamping of police violence, his consistent defense of corporate interests against workers and consumers—or on his lengthy record as a partisan legal thug going back to the Clinton impeachment, the Democrats engineered a hearing in which all attention was focused on Kavanaugh’s personal conduct as a teenager...

Inaccurate. Dems also asked him about his professional conduct as an adult. Anyway, how is grilling him about being a conservative going to sink his ship when there's a conservative majority in the Senate? It's his character that's the issue.

The method Republicans have used to defend Kavanaugh has consisted of suppressing most of the evidence that could be brought to bear in the hearing, and then complaining about the lack of evidence. “Unless something new comes forward, you have just an emotional accusation and an emotional denial without corroboration,” said Senator Lindsey Graham. Conservative columnist Kimberly Strassel argued, “The standard here isn’t where you ‘look’ or ‘sound’ ‘credible.’ It is whether you provide evidence.”

The FBI could investigate the charges – which might not settle the question, but would at least advance the inquiry, and use the threat of perjury to force any witnesses to give straight answers. The Senate could subpoena Kavanaugh’s friend, Mark Judge, an eyewitness to the alleged attack on Ford, and compel him to testify. They have refused repeated pleas to do either.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/20 ... uilty.html
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 28 Sep 2018, 14:18

Just thinking if ever I was up for a seat in DC and in my confirmation hearings they brought forth Mr and Mrs Saul Panisch.

"During the summer vacation in 1966 Jimbo and his creepy pals assaulted us by sending to our home any number of taxis, pizzas, tow trucks, a sewer cleaner and even a moving van! Why did you do that to us?"

"I dunno."

"He doesn't know. Oh, I think he does."
Some say the glass is half-empty others half-full. I say. "Lemme see that glass!"

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 28 Sep 2018, 16:33

Snarfyguy wrote:
Jimbo's guy wrote:Rather than focus public attention on Kavanaugh’s ultra-right political views—his opposition to abortion rights, his rubber-stamping of police violence, his consistent defense of corporate interests against workers and consumers—or on his lengthy record as a partisan legal thug going back to the Clinton impeachment, the Democrats engineered a hearing in which all attention was focused on Kavanaugh’s personal conduct as a teenager...

Inaccurate. Dems also asked him about his professional conduct as an adult. Anyway, how is grilling him about being a conservative going to sink his ship when there's a conservative majority in the Senate? It's his character that's the issue.

And his attitude, or temperament as they're calling it, sure didn't help.

The guy came off as a wingnut.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 28 Sep 2018, 17:55

which is why Don & Don Junior are singing his praises. I get where Jimbo is coming from but I just watched Whitehouse's statement he gave before the walkout. sure, this is an extreme situation but the bottom line is that he is NOT a credible witness.

How the fuck can anybody to the left of Tucker Carlson ever feel they are getting a fair hearing from a court with that guy on it? that shit show yesterday should be his undoing. instead, it stands a good chance of fundamentally changing what the Supreme Court is. sure, presidents from FDR on have used their appointments to sway the court but this is something far worse. it's the difference between making a good point and banging your shoe on the table. having an openly partisan, admittedly biased appointment is a bridge too far. the Dem president puts up a wishy washy middle of the road guy who is slightly to the left but swings both ways - they won't even talk about it. The Repub prez puts up a longtime Hillary Hater who tells the Democrats, to their faces, that he DESPISES them. what a surprise! they love the guy! he cries, he screams, get him a robe!!!

I'm glad the Dems walked out. they had to do something.
yeah, his record should be the thing that hangs him. I don't think the #metoo side trip has derailed this - I think it's made it clearer than ever. he does not respect the process or the authority of those assembled. He should be out on his ass.
scan not a friend with a microscopic glass

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 28 Sep 2018, 17:58

A good editorial in the NY Times that summarizes this whole mess.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/27/opin ... vable.html

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 28 Sep 2018, 18:03

the Dems should have sat on their hands with that whole "executive privilege" stunt. it looks like we are going to get the least forthcoming, most openly partisan Supreme in recent memory and won't even get a lousy t-shirt.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 28 Sep 2018, 18:26

An interesting article on the current feeder system to supreme court justice:

https://thinkprogress.org/a-brief-guide ... 28b712a2f/

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 28 Sep 2018, 19:41

Sneelock wrote:having an openly partisan, admittedly biased appointment is a bridge too far. the Dem president puts up a wishy washy middle of the road guy who is slightly to the left but swings both ways - they won't even talk about it.

Next time the Dems get to nominate a Supreme Court justice when they control the Senate, I expect them to put forward Cheech Marin.
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 28 Sep 2018, 19:42

Snarfyguy wrote:
Sneelock wrote:having an openly partisan, admittedly biased appointment is a bridge too far. the Dem president puts up a wishy washy middle of the road guy who is slightly to the left but swings both ways - they won't even talk about it.

Next time the Dems get to nominate a Supreme Court justice when they control the Senate, I expect them to put forward Cheech Marin.

I think Chong has more of an insider's perspective on the US justice system.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 29 Sep 2018, 08:06

This was enlightening. This report squashes some of my knee-jerk squeamishness of one guy (who could be me) being called out for 30 year old dumb shit he'd done. This report goes beyond the dumb shit and showed me the conniving and sneakiness the Republicans (Mitch McConnel :x ) are using to get their guy on the bench. That Kavanaugh was an ass was probably unknown to the Republicans but he is nonetheless their guy. Hopefully, this newly ordered one week FBI investigation into the allegations might stop Kavanaugh.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 29 Sep 2018, 15:46

A limited one week investigation. Yeah, that ought to get to the bottom of it.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 29 Sep 2018, 15:55

Sneelock wrote:A limited one week investigation. Yeah, that ought to get to the bottom of it.

Well - it should expose a few lies, at a bare minimum.
The opinions of this poster are subjective. That’s how opinions work.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 29 Sep 2018, 16:59

just last week the President said he wanted to get rid of the FBI’s “lingering stench”. Maybe they’ll do a bang up job just to piss him off. maybe they’ve got something up their sleeves. There does seem to be a lot of low hanging fruit in his bizarre testimony.
Last edited by Sneelock on 29 Sep 2018, 18:31, edited 1 time in total.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 29 Sep 2018, 17:06

If nothing else, it buys a week of time in which avalanches of ugly new revelations can rain down on Brett Kavanaugh.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 29 Sep 2018, 17:11

The question is, will Trump or the GOP Senate care what the FBI comes up with? I'd like to say there must be some Republican senators with a conscience, but I'm not so sure. I don't think it matters one iota to these clowns if Kavanaugh is a pig or not, as long as they put one of their own in there.
Coan wrote:'Vertigo' is one of the best things U2 have ever done, one of a handful of occasions where they get it just right. That bit near the end where the song lifts off? You don't get that with The Allman Brothers.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 29 Sep 2018, 17:21

Bingo. If the FBI comes up with compelling case they just call them tainted & partisan. Old habits are hard to break.
One of the weirdest things during the hearings was watching one Republican Senator after another who had opposed TRUMP for the nomination in 2016 toeing the line. You got to give them this - they is organized. Shit even W. Is doing everything he can do confirm this guy. They ain’t dong it for TRUMP, they’re doing it for Cthulhu!

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 29 Sep 2018, 17:27

Honestly, I'm not sure the Dems would be any different though.
Coan wrote:'Vertigo' is one of the best things U2 have ever done, one of a handful of occasions where they get it just right. That bit near the end where the song lifts off? You don't get that with The Allman Brothers.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 29 Sep 2018, 18:31

Well, they never met a military budget they didn’t like.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 29 Sep 2018, 18:59

Matt Wilson wrote:Honestly, I'm not sure the Dems would be any different though.

Except they'd be a lot less organized.

Never underestimate the Dems' ability to fuck up a seemingly sure thing.