Kavanaugh Hearings

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
sloopjohnc

Kavanaugh Hearings

Postby sloopjohnc » 27 Sep 2018, 16:17

Listened to Blasey Ford's opening statement and now listening at work.

My first reaction was "Kavanaugh is done" listening to the honest and tearful opening statement. I also got sad thinking about if something like this happened to my own daughter.

My daughter was sexually harassed and assaulted at work at Buffalo Wild Wings. She took it to management, but they didn't believe her, nor did they want the trouble it seems. Knowing my daughter, I was a little dubious too, which is my bad, considering my daughter's strong personality. Subsequently, I have seen how much this has affected her and am sorry I felt this way. The reason I mention this is to relate how hard it is for some guys, especially a dad who knows his daughter, to think that she would let a guy get away with something like that. But she did.

While the hearings have just started, I think a few things are at work. Blasey Ford is a PhD in psychology and can medically explain her memories or lack thereof. She's extremely believable.

Republicans should cut their losses, in my mind, midterms be damned. I doubt they will, and will move on to confirm.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Sneelock

Re: Kavanaugh Hearings

Postby Sneelock » 27 Sep 2018, 17:03

I had to turn it off. I agree she is very prepared and has a good sense of how to answer these tricky questions. I'm of the opinion that the main overall strategy is to make this all into a "he said/she said/I guess we'll never know what really happened" blip - like a burp before we move onto the next course.

the interrogator lady is very clever. she already knows she can't sew any seeds of doubt into Ms.Ford so she's working on the panel and the viewers at home. As credible, composed & articulate as Ford is, I have a hunch that even if BK showed up in a toga that things would still go his way.
Give me a C, a bouncy C!

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 27 Sep 2018, 17:11

Sneelock wrote:the interrogator lady is very clever. she already knows she can't sew any seeds of doubt into Ms.Ford so she's working on the panel and the viewers at home. As credible, composed & articulate as Ford is, I have a hunch that even if BK showed up in a toga that things would still go his way.

She is coming across as very friendly to the witness. I fear she's setting her up to lower the boom later in the hearing.

But. . .

Blasey is very honest in not remembering stuff and mentioned that she welcomed the FBI investigation, for better and worse.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 27 Sep 2018, 17:21

When Chris Wallace of Fox starts siding with Blasey-Ford, Republicans are in deep shit.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 27 Sep 2018, 17:35

I can't watch at work but I'd say that this:

Sneelock wrote:As credible, composed & articulate as Ford is, I have a hunch that even if BK showed up in a toga that things would still go his way.

...is right on the money. You know that dude is going to be on the Supreme Court.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 27 Sep 2018, 17:46

Count Machuki wrote:I can't watch at work but I'd say that this:

Sneelock wrote:As credible, composed & articulate as Ford is, I have a hunch that even if BK showed up in a toga that things would still go his way.

...is right on the money. You know that dude is going to be on the Supreme Court.

I'm afraid you're both right, but it's going to be a historical stain on the Republicans.

But, they're probably thinking everyone's forgotten about Anita Hill as it regards Clarence Thomas.

Times are different, however.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 27 Sep 2018, 19:13

A source close to President Donald Trump is telling Vanity Fair reporter Gabriel Sherman that the president is watching the Senate Judiciary Committee testimony of Christine Blasey Ford — and he’s not liking what he’s seeing so far.

According to Sherman’s source, Trump is “raging at how bad this has been for Republicans so far” — and he’s telling people that Ford “seems credible” in her testimony.

Person close to Trump says Trump is raging at how bad this has been for Republicans so far. Trump told people Ford “seems credible,” per source

A second source tells Sherman that Trump is tearing apart aides because they “didn’t have advance knowledge of how credible Ford would seem.”

Trump telling people he’s furious that WH aides didn’t have advance knowledge of how credible Ford would seem, per 2nd source

Another Trump ally tells Sherman that they also thought the hearing was going poorly for Republicans, and they joked to Sherman that attorney Rachel Mitchell’s attempts to cross-examine Ford have been so bad that she “must be working for the Democrats.”

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/09/trump- ... le-report/
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 27 Sep 2018, 19:16

Meanwhile, Even Fox News admits the Kavanaugh hearing is a 'disaster for Republicans'

But we'll have to wait for Hannity to weigh in.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 27 Sep 2018, 19:39

The Senate Judiciary Committee has set a vote for Friday, yet some Republican Governors Call For Delay.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/re ... d308d06e7c

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 27 Sep 2018, 20:50

you know what? I've changed my mind. I think TRUMP is going to withdraw the nomination. I'm watching BK right now reading testimonials for improving the lives of women. TRUMP is all about how things look on television. this is some BAD television.
Give me a C, a bouncy C!

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 27 Sep 2018, 20:52

Kavanaugh is coming across, to me at least, as a little bit self-righteously indignant.

No high school boy is as innocent as he makes himself out to be, alleged sexual assault aside.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 27 Sep 2018, 20:52

Sneelock wrote:you know what? I've changed my mind. I think TRUMP is going to withdraw the nomination. I'm watching BK right now reading testimonials for improving the lives of women. TRUMP is all about how things look on television. this is some BAD television.

Agreed. I don't think Trump likes tears at all.

I wish Kavanaugh would stop that sniffing. I want to get to the questions.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 27 Sep 2018, 20:55

I had to turn it off. sniffing and talking all mad at the same time. very unpleasant. that's what we need on the supreme court - an emotional basket case. Trump may be blind to his own faults but I can't believe he's going to stand behind this display. what a train wreck.
Give me a C, a bouncy C!

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 27 Sep 2018, 21:05

Sneelock wrote:I had to turn it off. sniffing and talking all mad at the same time. very unpleasant. that's what we need on the supreme court - an emotional basket case. Trump may be blind to his own faults but I can't believe he's going to stand behind this display. what a train wreck.

He's going crazy on Feinstein and it's only the first Democrat questioner.

And he didn't answer the FBI investigation question either.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 27 Sep 2018, 21:28

He’s done.

Trump will abandon him for not coming off manly enough.
The opinions of this poster are subjective. That’s how opinions work.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 27 Sep 2018, 21:41

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:He’s done.

Trump will abandon him for not coming off manly enough.

Gee, maybe this time one of your predictions will be right. I hope so.
“It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.” Mark Twain

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 27 Sep 2018, 21:49

Graham is on the warpath.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 27 Sep 2018, 22:12

& that Grassley is a real piece of work, huh?
you know, the Repub Seanators are doing the old "moral outrage" thing but it's really ringing pretty hollow.
either their hearts aren't in it or they're going to give themselves aneurysms.
Give me a C, a bouncy C!

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 27 Sep 2018, 22:13

“Worst injustice since McCarthy!!!”
The opinions of this poster are subjective. That’s how opinions work.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 27 Sep 2018, 22:18

isn't it weird how they've jumped the fence on both Russia and McCarthyism? it doesn't seem that long ago that Ann Coulter and other GOP ramrods were making the case that McCarthy was a Great American!
Give me a C, a bouncy C!