What did you want to be when you grew up?

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Jimbo

Re: What did you want to be when you grew up?

Postby Jimbo » 28 Sep 2018, 06:25

Even at my age I still have a dream to be slim, rich, strong, talented and a lead singer in a band.
“It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.” Mark Twain

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 28 Sep 2018, 13:35

trans-chigley express wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:
trans-chigley express wrote:I wanted to be a cartographer as I was obsessed with maps but my perception was that cartographers sat down and drew them by hand with lots of artistic licence.

This reminds me. As a kid, I used to draw imaginary countries with cities and the cartography too of mountain ranges and rivers and large bays. I'd even think up histories of the countries.

Yep, I was the same, though I didn't go as far as histories.

Me too, although there were often (fictional) football teams involved as well.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 28 Sep 2018, 17:48

Rayge wrote: there were often (fictional) football teams involved as well.

Like a Spurs team that won trophies?
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 28 Sep 2018, 17:55

Darkness_Fish wrote:
Rayge wrote: there were often (fictional) football teams involved as well.

Like a Spurs team that won trophies?

When I was doing this sort of thing, they'd won two FA cups, the first without conceding a goal, finished third, first, second and third in the league (setting a points record that was never broken in their winning season) and become the first British side to win a European trophy by slugging Atletico Madrid 5-1 in the final, in just four years. No league cups were available at the time. The latics, meanwhile, were in the northern prem or similar. So, no.
2/10 must try harder
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 28 Sep 2018, 17:56

Go on, tell us what you did in the war again?
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 29 Sep 2018, 20:27

Walk In My Shadow wrote:
Polishgirl wrote:A nun.

who says, etc...

I know that my virtuousness shines like a beacon in the darkness for you and many others, Yves.
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 30 Sep 2018, 07:46

Polishgirl wrote:
Walk In My Shadow wrote:
Polishgirl wrote:A nun.

who says, etc...

I know that my virtuousness shines like a beacon in the darkness for you and many others, Yves.

Yes, Sister. We are on a mission from God.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

Stille Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Stille Baron » 30 Sep 2018, 15:47

When I was a young boy, I wanted to be Earl Campbell. I loved the simple violence and brutality of his style. My mama wouldn’t let me play organized tackle football when I was old enough to play in school because she was worried about head injuries. She turned out to be right.

In those days, the automatic car washes (where you pull into a little garage and had the brushes and water and soap go over the car) there was a little compartment with a dude who stood in there and operated the car wash. If I couldn’t be Earl Campbell, I wanted to operate the car wash. I don’t think those little booths made it out of the 70s, so it’s just as well that I didn’t pursue that path.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 30 Sep 2018, 16:57

LeBaron wrote:When I was a young boy, I wanted to be Earl Campbell. I loved the simple violence and brutality of his style. My mama wouldn’t let me play organized tackle football when I was old enough to play in school because she was worried about head injuries. She turned out to be right.

In those days, the automatic car washes (where you pull into a little garage and had the brushes and water and soap go over the car) there was a little compartment with a dude who stood in there and operated the car wash. If I couldn’t be Earl Campbell, I wanted to operate the car wash. I don’t think those little booths made it out of the 70s, so it’s just as well that I didn’t pursue that path.

I loved Earl Campbell too. The most punishing runner, next to John Riggins, there was.

I just read an article about retired NFL players and he's in terrible, terrible shape, as are lots.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 01 Oct 2018, 00:19

LeBaron wrote:In those days, the automatic car washes (where you pull into a little garage and had the brushes and water and soap go over the car) there was a little compartment with a dude who stood in there and operated the car wash. If I couldn’t be Earl Campbell, I wanted to operate the car wash. I don’t think those little booths made it out of the 70s, so it’s just as well that I didn’t pursue that path.

Any job where the boss don't mind if you sometimes act a fool is ok, really.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 01 Oct 2018, 02:58

When I was 14 or so, pre-Fed-Ex and DHL, when UPS (Mafia-run, my mama said) with their spooky "black Mariah" vans were the only not-post office delivery service around, my father suggested that I become an in-village bicycle delivery service boy. I'd be faster than the post office and could even charge more than the post office. He worked for an office which could have used a service like that so he knew.

Dads. :roll:

Signed,

Still teaching English in Japan after 30 years
“It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.” Mark Twain

pig bodine

Postby pig bodine » 01 Oct 2018, 14:38

Either a gentleman of leisure or a cog

$P.Muff$

Postby $P.Muff$ » 02 Oct 2018, 02:00

Like most Americans, I wanted to be rich when I grew up, but also like most Americans, I didn't have much of a plan. I excelled at sports (baseball, in particular) and academics - so naturally as a child I initially wanted to be a pro baseball player - 'cause boys are idiots. I can remember my aunt telling me how she thought that was a bad idea because pro athletes rarely "grow up". Although I was a very perceptive child, at the time, I didn't know what she meant really.

From 10 - 15 years old I drifted. I'm not sure I had any goals or aspirations in mind - mostly just to be cool.

Right around that time I got interested in writing, and my girlfriend, and life, but I still felt like I was adrift.

I went to school, studied the fine art of political science, and eventually decided to become a poor farmer.