What did you want to be when you grew up?

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
sloopjohnc

What did you want to be when you grew up?

Postby sloopjohnc » 26 Sep 2018, 16:57

I've been doing marketing communications for 25 years now (copywriting, advertising, PR, social media, direct marketing, graphic design supervision, online advertising, etc.) and it suits me just fine. Before that, I dabbled in teaching for five years on and off and was even an insurance broker for five years out of college.

What I really wanted to be was a garbage man or fire fighter. When I see what my fire fighter friends made and get as a pension, I'm sorry I didn't get into that. I almost did in my early 20s, but didn't know how to go about it.

I thought being a garbage collector looked fun when I was little. Either driving the truck or going house to house and dumping the garbage cans in the truck's compactor. I would run and watch them from the kitchen window on the morning they came by.

Based on my music collection, some folks might way I fulfilled that wish.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Re: What did you want to be when you grew up?

Postby harvey k-tel » 26 Sep 2018, 17:38

sloopjohnc wrote:
What I really wanted to be was a garbage man...

Who says you're not?
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 26 Sep 2018, 17:54

I wanted to be Merv Griffin. I'd get home from school and watch the afternoon broadcast until someone made me "go outside and play". I'd run down the driveway to the garage door and check the lining of the jacket I wasn't wearing. I'd shift my weight from leg to leg and attempt an amusing and humble monologue to the dog and the sawhorses.

SPOILER ALERT: I did not grow up to be Merv Griffin.
Give me a C, a bouncy C!

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 26 Sep 2018, 17:55

I remember as a child how we once locked ourselves out of our house. When the locksmith arrived and I discovered what he charged for a minute's work, I knew what I wanted to be. Later I pursued a dream of becoming a filmmaker ("But what I really want to do is direct"), but realizing how tough THAT was when I was at film school, I scaled down my ambition and decided I'd be an editor. Now, at 55, I realize I should have been a comics publisher all along. If only I'd had that wisdom when I was 21.
1966 and all that

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 26 Sep 2018, 18:15

Doesn't everyone want to be a bus driver?
“It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.” Mark Twain

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 26 Sep 2018, 18:16

I wanted to be Charlie George.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 26 Sep 2018, 18:24

I wanted to be a monkey and live in the jungle with my monkey friends and cavort in the treetops and fight crime.
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 26 Sep 2018, 18:25

The Modernist wrote:I wanted to be Charlie George.

... driving a bus
GoogaMooga wrote:
Minnie Cheddars wrote:Baron got into a fight with some Satan’s Slaves over some culinary issue

Awful thing when that happens. I had a similar experience at a Tom Jones concert.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 26 Sep 2018, 18:26

Wally Bingbang wrote:I wanted to be a monkey and live in the jungle with my monkey friends and cavort in the treetops and fight crime.

Who says you're not.

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 26 Sep 2018, 18:30

Paleontologist was a big one: I had a serious dinosaur phase and when I was about eight I got scolded at the Natural History Museum in London for loudly pointimg out the errors or debatable information in their displays.

When I was in my early teens I was curious about journalism, but eventually realised I didn’t have the pushy or driven personality for it.

I’d love to pretend that middle-management administrator has always been my dream job, but I guess I can cling to the fact I work with music and culture...
GoogaMooga wrote:
Minnie Cheddars wrote:Baron got into a fight with some Satan’s Slaves over some culinary issue

Awful thing when that happens. I had a similar experience at a Tom Jones concert.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 26 Sep 2018, 18:33

The Modernist wrote:I wanted to be Charlie George.

I was a big kid - tall for my age.

I had it all figured out: I'd play for the San Francisco 49ers as either a defensive end or linebacker in the Fall, take Rick Barry's spot at small forward in the Winter for the San Francisco Warriors during the basketball season and then play third base or centerfield for the San Francisco Giants in the Summer. I figured I'd be so good that the Niners could wait a couple weeks until the baseball season shut down to play for the 49ers.

Based on my size, I figured I'd be around 6' 4" and around 220 lbs.

I stopped growing when I was 14.

At a summer basketball camp I went to with my friends when I was that age, the coaches kinda drooled over my three friends and I. I was the shortest at 6 ft, and my other friends were 6' 2", 6" 3" and 6' 4" as freshmen in high school. Too bad we were shitty.
Last edited by sloopjohnc on 26 Sep 2018, 18:33, edited 1 time in total.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 26 Sep 2018, 18:33

PENK wrote:
I’d love to pretend that middle-management administrator has always been my dream job, but I guess I can cling to the fact I work with music and culture...

:shock:

+1
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Robert

Postby Robert » 26 Sep 2018, 18:40

Jimbo wrote:Doesn't everyone want to be a bus driver?

Yes, or an ambulance man

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 26 Sep 2018, 19:01

Robert wrote:

Yes, or an ambulance man

There was a Superman episode when the bus driver keeled over and the kid had to drive the bus. Then Superman swooped in and took over the bus, the bastard. To this day I mind meld and wish the bus driver would have a heart attack just so I could take over.

One of my students is a paramedic and does ambulance duty. Much of her work involves ferrying dead old people, especially since there are so many elderly folk in Tokyo.
“It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.” Mark Twain

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 26 Sep 2018, 19:29

A nun.
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 26 Sep 2018, 19:43

I wanted to be an accountant. My godfather-uncle was one at a large firm and was doing really well. After 3 years of post-secondary accounting study, I finally realized just how boring that was. So I left uni and got a job managing records stores for 5 or so years. Then got a job working in an office with regular hours. The fact that I was computer literate back in the day (I learned COBOL and Fortran using mainframes and punch cards). After a few years at that job, the company got bought out and my job changed drastically to basically a data entry clerk for a shitty company. So I looked around and found my present job in risk management consulting for accounting firms (going on 28 years here)
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 26 Sep 2018, 20:51

I wanted to be either a veterinarian or a forest ranger type or something interesting at a National Park.
Then I saw what they do do pets at the Vet and said no way.

So I fell back on my dream job a Pension guy. :lol:

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 26 Sep 2018, 21:09

Jimbo wrote:
Robert wrote:

Yes, or an ambulance man

There was a Superman episode when the bus driver keeled over and the kid had to drive the bus. Then Superman swooped in and took over the bus, the bastard. To this day I mind meld and wish the bus driver would have a heart attack just so I could take over./quote]

I think that's the whole premise of Speed with Sandra Bullock and Keanu Reeves. Throw in a madman, Dennis Hopper, and voila - movie.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 26 Sep 2018, 21:23

Different things at different times (and irt was quite late in life I was prepared o recognize that I had in fact Grown Up. By the time I could get my head around the idea of growing up, I though what I'd do was maybe be a zoologist or explorer, or maybe goalkeeper, then astronomer, but basically I really wanted to continue being a student, so thought, academic. By this time, though, I'd decided I wasn't going to 'be' what I was going to do for a living, and started thinking of myself as a writer in waiting, and a diletantte aristocrat manqué. I took proper jobs as a teacher, then in market research and advertising, but quit at 30, bummed about supporting myself by selling dope and odd-jobbing, and somehow actually ended up writing for a living, even if it for someone else, and mostly non-fiction. So it went.
Last edited by Rayge on 26 Sep 2018, 21:37, edited 1 time in total.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 26 Sep 2018, 21:28

I don't ever recall wanting to be anything that strongly as a teenager but certainly as a kid I had dreams of being a footballer.

When I was older maybe an archeologist or an architect. I can remember being vaguely interested in both but nothing ever really jumped out. I've always just kinda fallen into things
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal