Privileged taff denounces privileged toffs

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
sloopjohnc

Re: Privileged taff denounces privileged toffs

Postby sloopjohnc » 20 Sep 2018, 18:12

Ranking Ted wrote:I don’t really see anything wrong with what she’s saying. Effectively the airwaves are open to the rest of the stage school, Brit Academy, trust fund types, so it’s really just a token effort. You used to read a lot about bands being formed by lads who had literally nothing else to do, on giros, teaching themselves how to play and forming something odd and unique and vital - virtually the whole lineage of British guitar and electronic music up to the 90s excepting the public school prog bores. Those kids are being put into McJobs to keep unemployment figures low and the pathway to being signed as a new act is now all about those finishing schools and talent shows and focus groups. Every new act can “play” and “sing”and it’s all so horrendously homogenised and boring. You have to say, British music is more or less over.

Not just British music. I think this is true for lots of American pop too. I think some good indie artists can still be found in hip-hop because the popularity of mixtapes, except now they're on soundcloud.
Last edited by sloopjohnc on 20 Sep 2018, 23:35, edited 1 time in total.

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 20 Sep 2018, 20:21

Deebank wrote:
yomptepi wrote:
Darkness_Fish wrote:Hey, I'm on your side. I like North Wales, I visit its shanty towns regularly...

I have been to Swansea, too, for my sins.

That's the thing about Wales though, isn't it? The countryside is beautiful. Full of glorious scenery , and lovely villages.
even Swansea has spectacular beaches.

But the people.

Jesus wept...

Well, it's enough to turn anyone sour having to put up with a load of moaning retired bloody English Brexiteers who think they own the fucking place! Burn the fuckers out! :x

Presumably the Brexiteers all moved there to be with like-minded souls seeing as The fucking Wales voted leave.
"He's thrown a kettle over a pub; what have you done?"

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 20 Sep 2018, 20:28

The Modernist wrote:From the article:

A 2010 survey in The Word magazine calculated that at least 60 per cent of chart pop and rock acts were former public school pupils, compared with just ­1 per cent 20 years previously.

That's a huge change.

That just can't be right.
I wonder what their definition of public school is and whether it is the same as my perception of what one is.
I suspect these stats merely reflect the inexorable rise of all the stage schools and others that have come to prominence in the past couple of decades and given us an endless Mickey Mouse Club-style conveyor belt of Billie Pipers and Amy Winehouses. You see, I don't really equate that with "public schools". I can't believe that Busted are the norm rather than the exception.
This is surely not about Eton wankers taking over the charts but the Brit School-song factory-Cowell cabal doing so.
"He's thrown a kettle over a pub; what have you done?"

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 21 Sep 2018, 08:58

Nikki Gradual wrote:
Deebank wrote:
yomptepi wrote:
That's the thing about Wales though, isn't it? The countryside is beautiful. Full of glorious scenery , and lovely villages.
even Swansea has spectacular beaches.

But the people.

Jesus wept...

Well, it's enough to turn anyone sour having to put up with a load of moaning retired bloody English Brexiteers who think they own the fucking place! Burn the fuckers out! :x

Presumably the Brexiteers all moved there to be with like-minded souls seeing as The fucking Wales voted leave.

It was the nasty English retirees wot dun it!

... probably.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro