Muhammad Ali quote

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
'oh bee'
hounds people off the board

Muhammad Ali quote

Postby 'oh bee' » 08 Sep 2018, 13:36

The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.

:(
Last edited by 'oh bee' on 09 Sep 2018, 22:55, edited 2 times in total.
Lord Rother wrote:Nobody knows the true mental state of anyone else on this board.

Lord Rother wrote:I’ve said it before - they are not right in the head.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Re: MA quote

Postby Diamond Dog » 08 Sep 2018, 13:39

Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 08 Sep 2018, 18:51

Diamond Dog wrote:Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth.

Yeah, but just try getting the landlord to do any basic repairs and see where it gets you...

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 08 Sep 2018, 18:56

Martin Amis?

He's done much better than that.
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 08 Sep 2018, 19:00

Charlie O. wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth.

Yeah, but just try getting the landlord to do any basic repairs and see where it gets you...

:)
Nikki Gradual wrote: Santana is just lift music really, isn’t it ?

'oh bee'

Postby 'oh bee' » 08 Sep 2018, 22:38

ANYWAY...

people really see the world much differently at 50?
Lord Rother wrote:Nobody knows the true mental state of anyone else on this board.

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 08 Sep 2018, 23:27

BOXO wrote:ANYWAY...

I think that depends on whether they have made a decent fist of their lives. If they are hapless losers, then they will still feel the same as they did when they were 20. if they are in control , they will feel differently.
You don't like me...do you?

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 08 Sep 2018, 23:42

BOXO wrote:ANYWAY...

They see a different world in a different way, but they're not necessarily aware of it, because their world ages with them.
Also: the way they see it creates and recreates their world in the ever moving present, while their memory of how things were and what and more pressingly how they thought 30 years ago has been rewritten, edited and elided constantly over that period, so it's really difficult to see how we could resolve this.
I'm sure that doesn't help.
Sorry.
When do you hit 50, John?

(And anyone who thinks Amis isn't a vile and useless buffoon when they're 20 but comes round to my way of thinking at 50 is a bit slow on the uptake. Who the fuck is he to judge other people's lives in this way when he is so manifestly lacking in self-awareness and emotional intelligence? And his prose is worse than his teeth. Fuck him. Waste of protoplasm, not to mention space.)
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

'oh bee'

Postby 'oh bee' » 09 Sep 2018, 00:08

Muhammad Ali!

I turned 50 a few months ago....

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 09 Sep 2018, 11:35

This is, of course, an Ali quote.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 09 Sep 2018, 14:55

I was hugely impressed with Martin Amis when I was 20.

Now? Meh...
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Positive Passion

Re: Muhammad Ali quote, you thick, unamusing cunts

Postby Positive Passion » 09 Sep 2018, 19:33

The long term documentary series that started with "7up" shows us that most people's (at least in developed countries) life trajectories are roughly the same, although the details can be radically different.
So most 14 year olds are largely sullen and withdrawn, most 21 year olds see the world in black and white and think they know it all, 28 year olds are developing deeper understanding, 35 year olds are starting to deal with loss, 42 year olds are less interested in their own future than that of their children etc etc.
The quote suggests that if you still see the world in black and white at 50, you have learned little and not developed as a person.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 09 Sep 2018, 22:17

'Thick unamusing cunts'? I thought you were all for propagating more humour on the boards!

The quote you put up there first is right and wrong though. I'd like to have the same flexible, curious and inquisitive mindset I had 30 years ago. But 30 years ago in this day and age is almost a century in any other age-old development and deconstruction of all you know has had to be adjusted constantly.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 10 Sep 2018, 01:36

Positive Passion wrote:The long term documentary series that started with "7up" shows us that most people's (at least in developed countries) life trajectories are roughly the same, although the details can be radically different.
So most 14 year olds are largely sullen and withdrawn, most 21 year olds see the world in black and white and think they know it all, 28 year olds are developing deeper understanding, 35 year olds are starting to deal with loss, 42 year olds are less interested in their own future than that of their children etc etc.
The quote suggests that if you still see the world in black and white at 50, you have learned little and not developed as a person.

Or not had children and had to deal with loss perhaps.
Or perhaps the world is pretty black and white; for all that people witter on about shades of grey most people realise there is a divide between what is wrong and what is right and the shades of grey argument is mostly there to make choosing what is wrong less unpalatable.

Developing as a person isn't necessarily good, lots of people develop in to right cunts.
Nazi Punks, Nazi Punks, Nazi Punks, Fuck Off

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 10 Sep 2018, 07:13

Copehead wrote:

There will be exceptions, but the vast majority of westerners have children at some stage, usually between the ages of 25 and 40.
The vast majority of westerners have parents who eventually die.

Developing as a person isn't necessarily good, lots of people develop in to right cunts.

There is nothing in the quote about the change being for good or bad. Just that there should be change over 30 years.

Jimbo

Re: Muhammad Ali quote

Postby Jimbo » 10 Sep 2018, 07:25

On more than one occasion Ali must have said to his mother and/or his wife, "We're out of toilet paper!"
Some say the glass is half-empty others half-full. I say. "Lemme see that glass!"

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 10 Sep 2018, 08:15

As an Ali fan I'd like to get all virtuous (something i'm good at, apparently) and say he was quoted here as in "it is necessary to grow as an individual, otherwise you're just stagnating and not encompassing new ideas". Which is how it reads. I do, however, think it may have been said originally in a slightly more defensive tone, having been asked about some of his separatist statements in the sixties, whilst being very heavily influenced by the "Nation Of Islam"... I think he may have been trying to distance himself from the extremism being advocated at the time.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 10 Sep 2018, 09:08

I think he was probably talking about the attitude to music on BCB.

Fuck me, I'm on fire with this satire lark today.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 10 Sep 2018, 09:31

Positive Passion wrote:
Copehead wrote:

There will be exceptions, but the vast majority of westerners have children at some stage, usually between the ages of 25 and 40.
The vast majority of westerners have parents who eventually die.

There is nothing in the quote about the change being for good or bad. Just that there should be change over 30 years.

In that case it is just truism. Everybody changes over 30 years, trying to make a virtue out of that is pointless, it just happens.
Nazi Punks, Nazi Punks, Nazi Punks, Fuck Off

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.