What do you make of this?

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

What do you make of this?

Postby Snarfyguy » 06 Sep 2018, 18:08

Clementine has started second grade. Her teachers' welcome letter to the parents says, in part,

A list of school supplies are attatched.
(sic)

Now, I understand that teachers of young children don't need to be geniuses, but this is a highly rated public school in a neighborhood with a wealthy tax base and these are well respected and sought-after teachers.

Of course I don't want to compromise my child's relationship with her teachers by embarrassing them, but I'm sorely tempted to return this letter with "See me after class" furiously scrawled on the top.

I should just leave it alone though, shouldn't I?
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

Sneelock

Re: What do you make of this?

Postby Sneelock » 06 Sep 2018, 18:15

Hell, snarf, you're a nice guy. I'd say suck it up until the teacher meeting then ever so nicely voice your concern. you'll either get an answer that makes you identify with the teacher or you'll hate them more than ever. I think either result would be ample reward for your patience.
scan not a friend with a microscopic glass

Eddie Shah environment
hounds people off the board

Postby Eddie Shah environment » 06 Sep 2018, 19:33

It COULD just be a typo.
Dimbo wrote:The media are run by the CIA. They write what they tell them to write.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 06 Sep 2018, 19:40

BOXO wrote:It COULD just be a typo.

The spelling, sure, but "a list... are attached?"
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

Eddie Shah environment

Postby Eddie Shah environment » 06 Sep 2018, 19:42

Ah! yes. Hadn't noticed that.

Not that it helps, but I see this kind of thing fairly often from schoolteachers in this country. What you might call basic linguistic skills don't seem to be valued very highly.
Dimbo wrote:The media are run by the CIA. They write what they tell them to write.

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 06 Sep 2018, 19:46

Snarfyguy wrote:
BOXO wrote:It COULD just be a typo.

The spelling, sure, but "a list... are attached?"

And not the spelling either - 't' is not next to 'c' or 'a'.

I think it's really poor. I used to get annoyed when teachers at the school where I worked produced shoddy documents like that. Not just the bad spelling - that it wasn't checked over and caught is unprofessional.
Copehead wrote:I have met Gruff Rhys - although he claimed he wasn't and that he couldn't speak Welsh, as I spoke to him in Welsh, but it was him lying bastard.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 06 Sep 2018, 20:12

I'm with Sneelock. Suck it up. It's happening everywhere, and there's nothing you can do about it at this point. That ship sailed long ago.

Life under Trump has only made it worse - our society values talking a good game more than job skills.

It's a symbol of a much huger problem, but there are far worse symptoms. Starting in the White House.
sloopjohnc wrote:Aslan has some good credenitals - got his BA from Santa Clara, a Jesuit school and his Masters from Harvard and PhD from Santa Barbara, a surfing school.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017!

LeBaron
Diamond Geezer

Postby LeBaron » 06 Sep 2018, 20:19

If it’s a fancy school with lots of uppity parents, someone else will say something. Let them be the bad guy.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Eddie Shah environment

Postby Eddie Shah environment » 06 Sep 2018, 20:38

toomanyhatz wrote:I'm with Sneelock. Suck it up. It's happening everywhere, and there's nothing you can do about it at this point. That ship sailed long ago.

I'm not sure about this. Maybe you're right. There's no evidence we were better spellers and had better command of grammar in the past. How could we find out anyway?

It interests me, however. I do honestly think that 'your' has all but replaced 'you're' on social media. The incorrect form is almost certainly used more often than the correct one, at least.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 06 Sep 2018, 20:54

PENK wrote:I think it's really poor. I used to get annoyed when teachers at the school where I worked produced shoddy documents like that. Not just the bad spelling - that it wasn't checked over and caught is unprofessional.

The spelling doesn't bother me as much as the grammatical disagreement. I don't think proficiency in spelling is necessarily a hallmark of intelligence anyway.

But in certain professions I would think that people would take a little more care in how they present themselves via the written word. Because that's how people judge one another (fairly or not).

And I do have a feeling that reliance on spell-checkers and computer apps that "improve" writing make us worse writers, just as reliance on turn-by-turn driving directions erodes our navigation skills.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 06 Sep 2018, 21:19

Most British schools now have software where you tick sentences rather than write it yourself, in part because many teachers lack the language skills to do it themselves.

John aka Josh

Postby John aka Josh » 06 Sep 2018, 22:29

The Modernist wrote:Most British schools now have software where you tick sentences rather than write it yourself, in part because many teachers lack the language skills to do it themselves.

I've never heard of this. Quite sure none of the schools in my MAT do and none of those in my LEA prior to its breakdown due to academisation.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 07 Sep 2018, 00:50

The Modernist wrote:Most British schools now have software where you tick sentences rather than write it yourself, in part because many teachers lack the language skills to do it themselves.

No idea what that is. Do you mean multiple choice options in which you identify properly contracted sentences?

Over here there press has recently been touting the "comeback" of cursive (longhand) writing. https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyl ... 5df81ae00b

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 07 Sep 2018, 01:38

I SO would write "See me after class" after taking the red crayon to it....
No excuse for this. You pay for excellence, you get poor grammar? Suggest that if they not are capable to supply you with a properly written document, then to communicate in emojis instead.
Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?."

George Carlin

fange

Postby fange » 07 Sep 2018, 02:04

It annoys the hell out of me, but i think the Baron's right; if it's a top school there are bound to be other parents who will see it and get just as annoyed as you, and someone who has no qualms about being the bad guy will act on it.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 07 Sep 2018, 03:34

never/ever wrote:I SO would write "See me after class" after taking the red crayon to it....
No excuse for this. You pay for excellence, you get poor grammar? Suggest that if they not are capable to supply you with a properly written document, then to communicate in emojis instead.

Well, this is a public school (in the U.S. that means it's funded by tax revenues and free for all in the prescribed zone. It's a tad more complicated than that, but that's the gist of it) BUT it's a desirable school in a neighborhood with a wealthy tax base, so I'd expect coherent correspondence from the teachers, and yeah, they're underpaid and under the gun and all that, but still.

And I have no doubt these are good teachers; it's just that the slipshod nature of that writing is a bit jarring.

I suppose you could just file my complaint under the general heading "moaning about declining standards everywhere," a BCB favorite.

fange wrote:It annoys the hell out of me, but i think the Baron's right; if it's a top school there are bound to be other parents who will see it and get just as annoyed as you, and someone who has no qualms about being the bad guy will act on it.

I fear the more likely scenario is no one will notice it or care.

fange

Postby fange » 07 Sep 2018, 04:50

It's possible, but in my experience (both as a teacher and parent) these things will come out.

There's almost always someone who must bring it up.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 07 Sep 2018, 05:05

It doesn't matter whether it's a public or private school. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a high standard when it comes to representation- the school expects that in many ways from their students too so there's no excuses for that letter to go out like that.

I do judge businesses like that too. A store that looks dirty and unkempt is a reflection on staff and management. Being a retailer myself I an aware of the standards beyond health and safety that people expect from me. And from a standpoint of a journalism major, who had to spell-check every letter and comma in every article submitted for review (before computers were mainstays) , it is pretty galling to think our educators have got such poor grammar and are even too lazy to use spell check on their computers.
Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?."

George Carlin

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 07 Sep 2018, 05:19

^^^ As someone who critiques written language for a living, I'm probably over-sensitive to gaffes like this, but at the same time it's pretty piss-poor work and it just sends the message that these people aren't making much of an effort.

Oh well!

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 07 Sep 2018, 05:23

You're a saint, Snarf.

George Carlin