Brexit Countdown

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
User avatar
Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings
hounds people off the board
Posts: 19593
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: selling a self-detonating James Last CD to a Copenhagen thrift store

Re: Brexit Countdown

Postby Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings » 29 Nov 2018, 11:26

Toby wrote:No I think it’s rubbish frankly. The left encourages people to extol their virtue without actually doing anything about it.


Caring isn't the same as doing. I'm talking about character traits and not actions. And I don't see the Left doing any more 'encouraging' than the Right when it comes to signalling virtues (or lack of them).


Toby wrote:Marxist dialectic encourages the creation of identities with moral hues. So if you are against immigration you are a racist and a bigot. If you find the employment of women in what are traditionally male roles to be problematic you are a misogynist. If you find the creation of a free health service to everyone to be problematic, you are a shit etc etc. You are typefying the issue.


That's a whole other argument. I'm not talking about Marxism here, I'm thinking about that large mass of people (in the UK) who ally themselves with the Left, generally.
Darkness_Fish wrote:This is a big fucking mess of absolute shit from the off.

User avatar
Toby
Arsehole all Erect
Posts: 23571
Joined: 28 Jul 2003, 23:13
Contact:

Re: Brexit Countdown

Postby Toby » 29 Nov 2018, 11:49

Dividing character traits and aligning them with political viewpoints is just wrong. To say that people with certain traits vote right or left just seems massively simplistic.

I get what you are saying to a certain extent, in that you will get stereotypical "they just need to pull their socks up" and " The poor need help" views, but I don't think you can neatly divide them between the two lines.

User avatar
Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings
hounds people off the board
Posts: 19593
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: selling a self-detonating James Last CD to a Copenhagen thrift store

Re: Brexit Countdown

Postby Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings » 29 Nov 2018, 11:56

Toby wrote:Dividing character traits and aligning them with political viewpoints is just wrong. To say that people with certain traits vote right or left just seems massively simplistic.


It is simplistic, yes, but it is something you tend to find.

And I'm going in the other direction - people who vote left tend to be such-and-such (it does make a difference).

Ever met a Young Conservative?
Darkness_Fish wrote:This is a big fucking mess of absolute shit from the off.

User avatar
Samoan
Posts: 10387
Joined: 28 May 2008, 10:22
Location: still at Red Hen restaurant

Re: Brexit Countdown

Postby Samoan » 29 Nov 2018, 12:10

The Bulfine Papers (1917) wrote:Left-wingers are more caring, more sensitive people anyway. That's what I always, always find.

Take a look at your self.

User avatar
The Prof
Composing a revolutionary symphony
Posts: 45262
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:32
Location: A Metropolis of Discontent

Re: Brexit Countdown

Postby The Prof » 29 Nov 2018, 12:33

Are you saying he doesn't hound people off the board in caring, sensitive way?

User avatar
Stille Baron
Diamond Geezer
Posts: 43111
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 05:38
Location: Impregnable Citadel of Technicality

Re: Brexit Countdown

Postby Stille Baron » 29 Nov 2018, 13:02

Toby wrote:So if you are against immigration you are a racist and a bigot. If you find the employment of women in what are traditionally male roles to be problematic you are a misogynist. If you find the creation of a free health service to everyone to be problematic, you are a shit etc etc.


Well that’s certainly been my experience! Sounds about right.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

User avatar
Stille Baron
Diamond Geezer
Posts: 43111
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 05:38
Location: Impregnable Citadel of Technicality

Re: Brexit Countdown

Postby Stille Baron » 29 Nov 2018, 13:03

The Bulfine Papers (1917) wrote:Ever met a Young Conservative?


Hundreds. I’ve liked a handful.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

User avatar
$P.Muff$
Posts: 346
Joined: 30 Sep 2018, 01:25

Re: Brexit Countdown

Postby $P.Muff$ » 29 Nov 2018, 13:42

Toby wrote:If conservative thought was not linked to age, why have the Conservatives been so successful?


Oftentimes as people age, they become quite lazy (whether it be in thought or in action), insular, forgetful, greedy, bitter, uncaring & afraid. No wonder conservative propaganda appeals to them. It is an ideology of the fearfully small-minded cloaked in grand soundbites.

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 67329
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: Brexit Countdown

Postby Diamond Dog » 29 Nov 2018, 13:44

LeBaron wrote:
Toby wrote:So if you are against immigration you are a racist and a bigot. If you find the employment of women in what are traditionally male roles to be problematic you are a misogynist. If you find the creation of a free health service to everyone to be problematic, you are a shit etc etc.


Well that’s certainly been my experience! Sounds about right.


:lol:
“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
"Don't be seduced into thinking that which did not make a profit is without value"
"'Seize the moments as they fly, know to live and learn to die'."

User avatar
Robert
Posts: 1054
Joined: 27 Dec 2013, 13:24

Re: Brexit Countdown

Postby Robert » 29 Nov 2018, 13:48

Labour shifts on a second referendum

By James Blitz (FT)
November 29, 2018

Is Labour moving towards giving formal support for a second referendum on Brexit? This is the question many at Westminster are asking after John McDonnell’s comments this week which seem to endorse the idea.

Until now Labour has had a somewhat open-ended approach to Brexit policy.

It opposes Theresa May’s deal. The party says that if the deal is rejected by the Commons, it will call for a general election. It says that if it fails to get Commons backing for that, it will then look at a range of options, including a “People's Vote”.

On Wednesday, shadow chancellor John McDonnell seemed to shift the dial significantly towards that second referendum outcome.

As he put it in a BBC interview: “We should have a general election but that’s very difficult. If that’s not possible we’ll be calling upon the government then to join us in the public vote . . . That’s the sequence I think that we’ll inevitably go through over this period.”
Mr McDonnell was pressed on whether a second referendum was “inevitable” if there was no general election. He replied: “That’s right.”

User avatar
Toby
Arsehole all Erect
Posts: 23571
Joined: 28 Jul 2003, 23:13
Contact:

Re: Brexit Countdown

Postby Toby » 29 Nov 2018, 13:54

$P.Muff$ wrote:
Toby wrote:If conservative thought was not linked to age, why have the Conservatives been so successful?


Oftentimes as people age, they become quite lazy (whether it be in thought or in action), insular, forgetful, greedy, bitter, uncaring & afraid. No wonder conservative propaganda appeals to them. It is an ideology of the fearfully small-minded cloaked in grand soundbites.



Does everyone though? You are making grand assumptions.

User avatar
$P.Muff$
Posts: 346
Joined: 30 Sep 2018, 01:25

Re: Brexit Countdown

Postby $P.Muff$ » 29 Nov 2018, 13:55

Toby wrote:A good maxim is - the left want to share the wealth, but the right create it in the first place.


Utter nonsense as usual. Workers create wealth. They are people. Not right. Not left.

User avatar
$P.Muff$
Posts: 346
Joined: 30 Sep 2018, 01:25

Re: Brexit Countdown

Postby $P.Muff$ » 29 Nov 2018, 13:56

Toby wrote:
$P.Muff$ wrote:
Toby wrote:If conservative thought was not linked to age, why have the Conservatives been so successful?


Oftentimes as people age, they become quite lazy (whether it be in thought or in action), insular, forgetful, greedy, bitter, uncaring & afraid. No wonder conservative propaganda appeals to them. It is an ideology of the fearfully small-minded cloaked in grand soundbites.



Does everyone though? You are making grand assumptions.


Did I say everyone?

No. Some are lazy, greedy bastards from the get-go.

User avatar
Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings
hounds people off the board
Posts: 19593
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: selling a self-detonating James Last CD to a Copenhagen thrift store

Re: Brexit Countdown

Postby Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings » 29 Nov 2018, 14:00

Samoan wrote:
The Bulfine Papers (1917) wrote:Left-wingers are more caring, more sensitive people anyway. That's what I always, always find.

Take a look at your self.


Absolutely!
Darkness_Fish wrote:This is a big fucking mess of absolute shit from the off.

User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 32789
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: Brexit Countdown

Postby Goat Boy » 29 Nov 2018, 14:08

The Bulfine Papers (1917) wrote:
Samoan wrote:
The Bulfine Papers (1917) wrote:Left-wingers are more caring, more sensitive people anyway. That's what I always, always find.

Take a look at your self.


Absolutely!


You little liar!
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.


Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

User avatar
Toby
Arsehole all Erect
Posts: 23571
Joined: 28 Jul 2003, 23:13
Contact:

Re: Brexit Countdown

Postby Toby » 29 Nov 2018, 14:14

$P.Muff$ wrote:
Toby wrote:A good maxim is - the left want to share the wealth, but the right create it in the first place.


Utter nonsense as usual. Workers create wealth. They are people. Not right. Not left.


Who employs the workers?

User avatar
The Prof
Composing a revolutionary symphony
Posts: 45262
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:32
Location: A Metropolis of Discontent

Re: Brexit Countdown

Postby The Prof » 29 Nov 2018, 14:15

Robert wrote:Labour shifts on a second referendum

By James Blitz (FT)
November 29, 2018

Is Labour moving towards giving formal support for a second referendum on Brexit? This is the question many at Westminster are asking after John McDonnell’s comments this week which seem to endorse the idea.

Until now Labour has had a somewhat open-ended approach to Brexit policy.

It opposes Theresa May’s deal. The party says that if the deal is rejected by the Commons, it will call for a general election. It says that if it fails to get Commons backing for that, it will then look at a range of options, including a “People's Vote”.

On Wednesday, shadow chancellor John McDonnell seemed to shift the dial significantly towards that second referendum outcome.

As he put it in a BBC interview: “We should have a general election but that’s very difficult. If that’s not possible we’ll be calling upon the government then to join us in the public vote . . . That’s the sequence I think that we’ll inevitably go through over this period.”
Mr McDonnell was pressed on whether a second referendum was “inevitable” if there was no general election. He replied: “That’s right.”


I saw that.
In another interview a few weeks ago he was asked *if* there was a general election and *if* Labour won, would they support a 2nd referendum to which he dodged the question.
Seemingly the only option to scrap Brexit is to keep the Tories in power.

User avatar
Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings
hounds people off the board
Posts: 19593
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: selling a self-detonating James Last CD to a Copenhagen thrift store

Re: Brexit Countdown

Postby Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings » 29 Nov 2018, 14:30

Goat Boy wrote:
The Bulfine Papers (1917) wrote:
Samoan wrote:Take a look at your self.


Absolutely!


You little liar!


:x

watch it or I'll get my HOUNDING KIT out for you
Darkness_Fish wrote:This is a big fucking mess of absolute shit from the off.

User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 32789
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: Brexit Countdown

Postby Goat Boy » 29 Nov 2018, 14:37

You left wing Brute!
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.


Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

User avatar
$P.Muff$
Posts: 346
Joined: 30 Sep 2018, 01:25

Re: Brexit Countdown

Postby $P.Muff$ » 29 Nov 2018, 14:43

Toby wrote:
$P.Muff$ wrote:
Toby wrote:A good maxim is - the left want to share the wealth, but the right create it in the first place.


Utter nonsense as usual. Workers create wealth. They are people. Not right. Not left.


Who employs the workers?


Experts in exploitation, typically.

Or as they're commonly referred to nowadays: entrepreneurs.