Brexit Countdown

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Powehi
Posts: 905
Joined: 25 Aug 2016, 17:12

Re: Brexit Countdown

Postby Powehi » 20 Mar 2019, 12:46

The Prof wrote:Isn't it?
People moaning that they are 'fed up' with Brexit.
Well, they should have voted to remain and this whole sorry mess would have been forgotten about 3 years ago and all that money, time, stress and anguish would have been saved.


The Prof wrote:Image

Image


Yeh - that'll learn em


Spend any more time living in the past, Prof, and you should probably think about joining UKIP or a Jethro Tull tribute band.

Probably the same thing by now come to think of it

User avatar
The Prof
Composing a revolutionary symphony
Posts: 45481
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:32
Location: A Metropolis of Discontent

Re: Brexit Countdown

Postby The Prof » 20 Mar 2019, 14:26

Eh?

User avatar
Robert
Posts: 1154
Joined: 27 Dec 2013, 13:24

Re: Brexit Countdown

Postby Robert » 20 Mar 2019, 15:41

For Macron, it is decided: ' we must ... refuse to allow the British to postpone the Brexit, scheduled for 29 March. In any case, this is the position he will express on Thursday at the European council.'

User avatar
The Prof
Composing a revolutionary symphony
Posts: 45481
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:32
Location: A Metropolis of Discontent

Re: Brexit Countdown

Postby The Prof » 20 Mar 2019, 15:56

Blair has supposedly been having a word in his ear. This is suggesting more of a no deal exit than a no Brexit though

User avatar
WG Kaspar
Posts: 9053
Joined: 28 Jan 2007, 09:07

Re: Brexit Countdown

Postby WG Kaspar » 20 Mar 2019, 20:57

What a shitshow.
I run out of talent

User avatar
Rorschach
Posts: 1920
Joined: 02 Jun 2008, 12:43

Re: Brexit Countdown

Postby Rorschach » 21 Mar 2019, 09:23

Conspiracy alert!

The current 'Stop Brexit' petition on the government website was at over 700,000 signatures about half an hour ago and the site went down for maintenance. It's back up now but only showing 600,000 signatures.
Bugger off.

Powehi
Posts: 905
Joined: 25 Aug 2016, 17:12

Re: Brexit Countdown

Postby Powehi » 21 Mar 2019, 17:31

Given the mood coming out of Brussels right now, I'm not sure whether to run out and stock up on toilet paper or just invest in a couple of pairs of brown trousers.

Milarepa
Posts: 18
Joined: 03 Jun 2017, 20:47

Re: Brexit Countdown

Postby Milarepa » 21 Mar 2019, 18:57

As someone in the US dealing with our own shitshow, from here it looks like no one actually has a suggestion for how to proceed. The various parties know what they will *refuse* to do, but I can’t see anyone saying what they *want* to do. Is that about it?

And am I correct that the view that the whole thing be called off is not the view of any party in the U.K.?

User avatar
The Prof
Composing a revolutionary symphony
Posts: 45481
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:32
Location: A Metropolis of Discontent

Re: Brexit Countdown

Postby The Prof » 21 Mar 2019, 21:31

There’s a good possibility it’s the wish of most people in the country right now.

User avatar
Deebank
Resonator
Posts: 23662
Joined: 10 Oct 2003, 13:47
Location: In a beautiful place out in the country

Re: Brexit Countdown

Postby Deebank » 22 Mar 2019, 10:24

Milarepa wrote:As someone in the US dealing with our own shitshow, from here it looks like no one actually has a suggestion for how to proceed. The various parties know what they will *refuse* to do, but I can’t see anyone saying what they *want* to do. Is that about it?

And am I correct that the view that the whole thing be called off is not the view of any party in the U.K.?


I think that's close. Because - like the US - the country is so polarised the two main parties are both trying and failing to reconcile two unreconcilable groups. For Labour, the party and a large section of its voters were Remain but huge swathes of its traditional working class heartlands voted to Leave. The Tories' voters are almost all Leave while the party itself is mainly Leave (with a small rump of remainers) but divided between 'soft' europhiles and 'hard' xenophobe nationalists (my words :lol: )

The Labour leadership position is to honour the referendum by leaving while remaining as close to Europe as possible.
The Tory leadership position is to try to leave without destroying the UK's economy (ie, with a deal) or the Conservative & Unionist Party.

While the Labour position should be easy, and it would honour our obligations to The Good Friday Agreement etc, they are not in power, so it's kind of theoretical really.
The Tory position is the shitshow unfolding as I type.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

User avatar
The Prof
Composing a revolutionary symphony
Posts: 45481
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:32
Location: A Metropolis of Discontent

Re: Brexit Countdown

Postby The Prof » 22 Mar 2019, 10:49

Deebank wrote:The Tory position is the shitshow unfolding as I type.


"If I were to call this a dog’s breakfast I would be insulting dog’s breakfasts.
There may not be a pooch on the planet that would swallow this indignity."

-Robert Peston.

User avatar
Penk!
Midnight to Six Man
Posts: 35784
Joined: 07 Aug 2004, 20:12
Location: Stockholm

Re: Brexit Countdown

Postby Penk! » 22 Mar 2019, 11:13

Deebank wrote:
Milarepa wrote:As someone in the US dealing with our own shitshow, from here it looks like no one actually has a suggestion for how to proceed. The various parties know what they will *refuse* to do, but I can’t see anyone saying what they *want* to do. Is that about it?

And am I correct that the view that the whole thing be called off is not the view of any party in the U.K.?


I think that's close. Because - like the US - the country is so polarised the two main parties are both trying and failing to reconcile two unreconcilable groups. For Labour, the party and a large section of its voters were Remain but huge swathes of its traditional working class heartlands voted to Leave. The Tories' voters are almost all Leave while the party itself is mainly Leave (with a small rump of remainers) but divided between 'soft' europhiles and 'hard' xenophobe nationalists (my words :lol: )

The Labour leadership position is to honour the referendum by leaving while remaining as close to Europe as possible.
The Tory leadership position is to try to leave without destroying the UK's economy (ie, with a deal) or the Conservative & Unionist Party.

While the Labour position should be easy, and it would honour our obligations to The Good Friday Agreement etc, they are not in power, so it's kind of theoretical really.
The Tory position is the shitshow unfolding as I type.


I'm not sure that Labour's position would get that much support either to be honest. They should have been much, much clearer on it prior to the last election but they've been hedging their bets too long trying not to alienate people with the result that nobody really believes what they say on Brexit now.

Basically the problem is that 48% of the country voted for "remain" while only, for example, 20% voted for what they thought would be "hard Brexit" and 32% voted for what they thought would be a "soft Brexit" - but the latter two groups all fell under the "leave" vote and won, even though they are not and never have been in agreement on what they actually want. And the politicians running the thing have never once thought it might be a good idea to put to the fucking people of the country the choice of "hard" or "soft" to see which one they should focus on.

And the result is that everybody - except the handful of disaster capitalists (many of whom are in or related to people in the Conservative party's European Research Group, oddly enough) poised to make a killing having bet against the pound and invested in Eastern markets - is going down with the ship.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

User avatar
Jimbo
Posts: 16188
Joined: 26 Dec 2009, 21:22

Re: Brexit Countdown

Postby Jimbo » 22 Mar 2019, 17:00

Cold War Number One: 70 years of daily national stupidity. Cold War Number Two: Still in its youth, but just as stupid. - William Blum

Powehi
Posts: 905
Joined: 25 Aug 2016, 17:12

Re: Brexit Countdown

Postby Powehi » 23 Mar 2019, 09:23

Having seen the writing on the wall, the DUP's Arlene Foster has launched her own line of lingerie. the first product to go into production is a bra that costs a billion pounds and offers absolutely no support when or where it's needed.

Positive Passion
Posts: 913
Joined: 05 Jul 2017, 23:05

Re: Brexit Countdown

Postby Positive Passion » 23 Mar 2019, 10:17

Rorschach wrote:Conspiracy alert!

The current 'Stop Brexit' petition on the government website was at over 700,000 signatures about half an hour ago and the site went down for maintenance. It's back up now but only showing 600,000 signatures.


It is over 4 million now.

Anyone marching today? I am.

User avatar
Deebank
Resonator
Posts: 23662
Joined: 10 Oct 2003, 13:47
Location: In a beautiful place out in the country

Re: Brexit Countdown

Postby Deebank » 23 Mar 2019, 10:41

Positive Passion wrote:
Rorschach wrote:Conspiracy alert!

The current 'Stop Brexit' petition on the government website was at over 700,000 signatures about half an hour ago and the site went down for maintenance. It's back up now but only showing 600,000 signatures.


It is over 4 million now.

Anyone marching today? I am.


Well done!
Some of my best buddies are there.
I’m in Cornwall for my daughter’s 18th birthday - a good enough excuse I reckon.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

User avatar
Penk!
Midnight to Six Man
Posts: 35784
Joined: 07 Aug 2004, 20:12
Location: Stockholm

Re: Brexit Countdown

Postby Penk! » 26 Mar 2019, 08:10

The Guardian wrote:In all, 29 Conservative MPs rebelled the whip. One of these was Damian Green, May’s former deputy and one of her closest political allies.


So Damian Green, who was sacked from the cabinet two years ago after having been found to have viewed pornography on his work computer, and being accused not only of sexual harassment but of mounting a smear campaign against one of the victims of said harassment, is still a sitting MP.

Ah, but it's Labour who have problems, right?
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

User avatar
Deebank
Resonator
Posts: 23662
Joined: 10 Oct 2003, 13:47
Location: In a beautiful place out in the country

Re: Brexit Countdown

Postby Deebank » 26 Mar 2019, 09:47

Penk! wrote:
The Guardian wrote:In all, 29 Conservative MPs rebelled the whip. One of these was Damian Green, May’s former deputy and one of her closest political allies.


So Damian Green, who was sacked from the cabinet two years ago after having been found to have viewed pornography on his work computer, and being accused not only of sexual harassment but of mounting a smear campaign against one of the victims of said harassment, is still a sitting MP.

Ah, but it's Labour who have problems, right?



... And you might not have notice that the Tories have quietly re-admitted all those booted out for islamophobia recently - clearly the Brexit chaos is good for something.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

User avatar
Penk!
Midnight to Six Man
Posts: 35784
Joined: 07 Aug 2004, 20:12
Location: Stockholm

Re: Brexit Countdown

Postby Penk! » 26 Mar 2019, 10:25

Meanwhile, Jacob Rees-Mogg is now saying that the choice would appear to be between a no-deal Brexit and May's deal, while Steven Brine, who quit the cabinet last night, says the indication is that MPs will support a soft Brexit or second referendum.

In short, we are two and a half weeks from the absolute final extended deadline, and we still don't know a fucking thing.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

User avatar
Rorschach
Posts: 1920
Joined: 02 Jun 2008, 12:43

Re: Brexit Countdown

Postby Rorschach » 26 Mar 2019, 11:22

Penk! wrote:Meanwhile, Jacob Rees-Mogg is now saying that the choice would appear to be between a no-deal Brexit and May's deal, while Steven Brine, who quit the cabinet last night, says the indication is that MPs will support a soft Brexit or second referendum.

In short, we are two and a half weeks from the absolute final extended deadline, and we still don't know a fucking thing.


I believe that Rees-Mong has actually said that it's between May's deal and NO Brexit. I.e. his shower have to support May's deal. Michael Fabricunt has agreed with that.
Bugger off.