Brexit Countdown

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Re: Brexit Countdown

Postby Toby » 23 Sep 2018, 14:30

I guess the only thing one might argue is that a second referendum might produce a lower turnout - and perhaps those wishing to Remain might be more motivated to vote.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 23 Sep 2018, 17:10

Toby wrote:I guess the only thing one might argue is that a second referendum might produce a lower turnout - and perhaps those wishing to Remain might be more motivated to vote.

Equally only 36% of 18-24 year olds voted in the last one. Now many have seen the consequences of not voting, and given that the remain vote is at its highest in that category, I would expect them to be targeted and mobilised and a much higher vote from that demographic as a result.
One could argue it was the apathy of that age group which allowed the Brexit vote to carry the day.

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 23 Sep 2018, 21:17

I think it is wishful thinking that the result would be over turned. The over 60's are still going to vote leave. The stupid and ill informed are still going to vote leave. Those appalled by the disgraceful high handed behaviour of the Eu will also vote leave. A few pockets of the metropolitan elite and a few students aren't going to over turn anything. If anything I think the tide has turned against the remainers, and many people are just fed up with the whole thing and just want to rid of the cheese eating surrender monkeys and their mates. Leave them to their failing experiment and failing currency and good riddance.
You don't like me...do you?

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 23 Sep 2018, 21:18

The Modernist wrote:
Robert wrote:
I wonder if a second referendum will show a completely different outcome when even on this board levels of chauvinism seem to have lifted over the alleged Salzburg humiliation.

I don't really understand what you mean by "chauvinism", but I don't think there's any doubt that a second referendum would produce a different result. The Brexit vote only had a really slim majority anyway and given how many people are saying they've changed their minds, it's inconceivable that Brexit wouldn't be voted out (if that is the question to be put in the second referendum).

You really do talk some terrible rubbish G.

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 23 Sep 2018, 21:26

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 23 Sep 2018, 21:38

yomptepi wrote:
The Modernist wrote:
Robert wrote:
I wonder if a second referendum will show a completely different outcome when even on this board levels of chauvinism seem to have lifted over the alleged Salzburg humiliation.

I don't really understand what you mean by "chauvinism", but I don't think there's any doubt that a second referendum would produce a different result. The Brexit vote only had a really slim majority anyway and given how many people are saying they've changed their minds, it's inconceivable that Brexit wouldn't be voted out (if that is the question to be put in the second referendum).

You really do talk some terrible rubbish G.

:lol: Well I'll bump this when I'm proved right ( although I don't think there will be a second referendum).

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 23 Sep 2018, 21:41

yomptepi wrote: many people are just fed up with the whole thing and just want to rid of the cheese eating surrender monkeys and their mates.

Disgraceful language to use. Most people aren't Little Englander xenophobes.

echolalia

Postby echolalia » 24 Sep 2018, 00:16

Toby wrote:The SE of England is the richest part of Europe. If we didn't have that, we'd be absolutely fucked.

It’s the richest part of Europe because since the fall of the Soviet Union the banks of London have been absolutely swimming in cash of dodgy provenance, yes.

Toby wrote:I was Remain but like Yomp, I'm beginning to see the EU in a different light. My ultimate concern is that if we did remain, we'd be like passengers on a Cruise ship. We wouldn't have any say on where we go, but it would be an enjoyable enough ride provided we paid our money. The rest of the passengers wouldn't like us and we'd rarely get a chance to dine at the captains table.

But Britain was one of the countries that built the ship! Belittling the role and influence of the UK in the EU project is essential to the brexit cause, of course.

It's all so unnecessary :-(

northernsky

Postby northernsky » 24 Sep 2018, 00:39

yomptepi wrote:This does not excuse Cameron in any way, but I think it is important that we understand what a bunch of utter cunts the top brass bureaucrats in the EU are, Arrogant, small minded pen pushers, and cunts to a middle aged white man.

Yomp’s plea for ethnic, age and gender diversity among Europe’s ”bureaucrats” MUST be heard and his detailed prospectus for achieving it MUST be implemented.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 24 Sep 2018, 05:17

How important is British sovereignty to you?

I'm not sure if the UK Column guys are particularly nationalistic or sticklers for the honoring the majority of votes for leaving.
“It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.” Mark Twain

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 24 Sep 2018, 07:19

They are far right conspiracy theorists and I wish you'd stop posting their videos on this thread. Can't you save that nonsense for your own conspiracy thread? No one's interested in what they have to say because they lack any credibility.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 24 Sep 2018, 07:20

northernsky wrote:
yomptepi wrote:This does not excuse Cameron in any way, but I think it is important that we understand what a bunch of utter cunts the top brass bureaucrats in the EU are, Arrogant, small minded pen pushers, and cunts to a middle aged white man.

Yomp’s plea for ethnic, age and gender diversity among Europe’s ”bureaucrats” MUST be heard and his detailed prospectus for achieving it MUST be implemented.

:lol: :lol:

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 24 Sep 2018, 07:49

The Modernist wrote:They are far right conspiracy theorists and I wish you'd stop posting their videos on this thread. Can't you save that nonsense for your own conspiracy thread? No one's interested in what they have to say because they lack any credibility.

I post because they do offer a perspective on Brexit that no one here seems to touch upon. And I swear I am not trying to provoke but I do listen regularly and while - as you said - some of what they (especially Brian Garish) espouse seems quite nationalistic - a strong all-British military, pro a UK constitution, and, yes, a full and proper exit from the EU. There is also a frequent call for a proper and much deeper investigation of child molesting. They have this thing about Prime Minister Heath's predilections. Real question: is there any truth to that that you've heard? Maybe that is where you think they are conspiracy theorizing. On the other hand they are quite leftish. They are anti-interventionists, especially in Syria at the moment, anti-fracking, anti-Tommy Robinson, pro-Corbyn and virulently anti-Teresa May and Johnson. They also don't buy into the Russia! myth and that is where I most enjoy their coverage. But if it bothers you to see it here I will no post it no more.
“It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.” Mark Twain

Robert

Postby Robert » 24 Sep 2018, 08:22

The Modernist wrote:
Robert wrote:

It's maybe not the most adequate word I could have used but I was referring to both Toby and Yomp. Yomp says he will definitely not vote remain in a new referendum and keeps mentioning the 'humiliation' and by the language he's using it seems he's personally offended by the European penlickers( or similar wording). Also Toby mentions he's veering towards Brexit. And someone else said I am sneering while I was just pointing to the objective fact that May came up with a half baked plan that was chanceless. The EU has stressed again and again that the ' four freedoms' cannot be seperated, it is all of nothing. The cherry picking was so childish that you really can't blaim some penlicking, unelected frog for chuckling.

Robert

Postby Robert » 24 Sep 2018, 08:41

The other thing that keeps coming back is the alleged bureaucracy of EU. There is certainly an element of that of course but if you see how many bureaucrats work for EU vs Members states it seems a fairly lean organisation:

EU : 46.500 people
Netherlands: 915.000 people
UK: 5.350.000 people.

It is not a completely fair comparison as memberstates have many government paid jobs that EU has not but seeing the UK number it seems clear that the number of government jobs similar to those in EU is much higher.

Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings
hounds people off the board
Location: selling a self-detonating James Last CD to a Copenhagen thrift store

Postby Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings » 24 Sep 2018, 08:51

I think this concept of 'nasty sneering EU bureaucrats' is way down the list when it comes to Brexiteers' rationale. Educated civil servants, suits from the stockbroker belt might have them in mind, but most - I think - just shout along with this half-baked 'we want our country back' idiocy.
GoogaMooga wrote:There's this joke about cowbells in the States, "More cowbell, we need more cowbell!".

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 24 Sep 2018, 08:56

Robert wrote:The other thing that keeps coming back is the alleged bureaucracy of EU. There is certainly an element of that of course but if you see how many bureaucrats work for EU vs Members states it seems a fairly lean organisation:

It is not a completely fair comparison as memberstates have many government paid jobs that EU has not but seeing the UK number it seems clear that the number of government jobs similar to those in EU is much higher.

you are talking absolute nonsense. You cannot equate a public sector worker with a bureaucrat . That is just being stupid.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 24 Sep 2018, 08:58

yomptepi wrote:
Robert wrote:The other thing that keeps coming back is the alleged bureaucracy of EU. There is certainly an element of that of course but if you see how many bureaucrats work for EU vs Members states it seems a fairly lean organisation:

you are talking absolute nonsense. You cannot equate a public sector worker with a bureaucrat . That is just being stupid.

Cobblers Yomp. The NHS alone employs 1.5 million!
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 24 Sep 2018, 08:59

Eddie Shah environment wrote:I think this concept of 'nasty sneering EU bureaucrats' is way down the list when it comes to Brexiteers' rationale. Educated civil servants, suits from the stockbroker belt might have them in mind, but most - I think - just shout along with this half-baked 'we want our country back' idiocy.

Pf course. Who knew the great unwashed were going to rise up and express an opinion. And the problem is , as you say, most of them really didn't have a clue what the vote was about. But they had a vote and used it, and now we have to to respect that decision. Even though it is a disaster.

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 24 Sep 2018, 09:02

Deebank wrote:
yomptepi wrote:

Cobblers Yomp. The NHS alone employs 1.5 million!

They are not bureaucrats , are they. They do employ a lot of managers, but even the most useless overpaid and underworked NHS manager looks like a workaholic next to the gravy train riding , pension hogging, wine guzzling European pen pusher. They do have jobs.