Brexit Countdown

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Darkness_Fish

Re: Brexit Countdown

Postby Darkness_Fish » 11 Mar 2019, 09:39

It's all so fucking stupid. Theresa May doesn't have the support of her cabinet, the ERG, any of her Brexit secretaries, and she's already voted against her own deal that they're voting on yet again tomorrow. The only possible majority in parliament is for a softer Norway option, which is still worse than just being in the EU. No Deal still looks the most likely outcome, with just over a fortnight to go. Absolute bunch of bastards.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 11 Mar 2019, 10:32

What's the penalty for treason these days?
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

caramba

Postby caramba » 11 Mar 2019, 10:57

PENK wrote:What's the penalty for treason these days?

For a first offence, I think you get sent on some kind of course and have to sign a paper promising you won't do it again.

caramba

Postby caramba » 11 Mar 2019, 16:38

And now she's announced she's off to Europe yet again. Surely she must have sufficient air miles for that trip to Benidorm she and Philip have set their hearts on by now.

Robert

Postby Robert » 12 Mar 2019, 08:45

So, May says she's solved the issue around the backstop. Problem solved and a majority of mp's will vote in favour?

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 12 Mar 2019, 08:46

Yeah, it's all sorted, I can't see any issue now.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 12 Mar 2019, 09:12

Darkness_Fish wrote:Yeah, it's all sorted, I can't see any issue now.

:lol:

You crazy kids!
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 12 Mar 2019, 09:14

You can almost sense the DUP brainstorming what their support is worth - it won’t come cheap.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 12 Mar 2019, 09:26

Phew. At last we expats can relax, knowing that, even though we're fucked, the Tory party can remain united.
And that's what counts.
Bugger off.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 12 Mar 2019, 09:29

Rorschach wrote:Phew. At last we expats can relax, knowing that, even though we're fucked, the Tory party can remain united.
And that's what counts.

Are you a Spanish citizen (I can only imagine the mountains of paperwork you'd have to go through to get that sorted)? My sister's lived over there for eight or nine years now, but I'm not sure where she's up to with getting citizenship.

I've applied for Swedish citizenship, which as I've lived, worked and paid taxes here for eleven years now, should just be a matter of getting someone to sign a form and send me a certificate, but apparently the number of applications from Brits has risen 1000% in the last two months, so my application is presumably in a massive pile on someone's desk somewhere... tick tock.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

caramba

Postby caramba » 12 Mar 2019, 09:54

PENK wrote:
Rorschach wrote:Phew. At last we expats can relax, knowing that, even though we're fucked, the Tory party can remain united.
And that's what counts.

Are you a Spanish citizen (I can only imagine the mountains of paperwork you'd have to go through to get that sorted)? My sister's lived over there for eight or nine years now, but I'm not sure where she's up to with getting citizenship.

I've applied for Swedish citizenship, which as I've lived, worked and paid taxes here for eleven years now, should just be a matter of getting someone to sign a form and send me a certificate, but apparently the number of applications from Brits has risen 1000% in the last two months, so my application is presumably in a massive pile on someone's desk somewhere... tick tock.

I wouldn't worry. Even supposing May manages to finagle her deal through, this whole fucking shambles will still be fucking everything up for the next 10 years and more. Thanks Mr Cameron!

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 12 Mar 2019, 10:12

The latest is that a load of lawyers have come out and said that when Theresa May says "legally binding", what she actually means is, er, "not legally binding". Geoffrey Cox has already denied reports that he has been "instructed" to approve the agreement having initially rejected it last night...

The Prof
Composing a revolutionary symphony

Postby The Prof » 12 Mar 2019, 12:59

If I've heard the phrase "bad faith" once today I've hard it a million times..

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 12 Mar 2019, 14:04

It won’t wash with the ERG so that’s that.

Robert

Postby Robert » 12 Mar 2019, 14:04

BBC:

Brexit: Key group rejects Theresa May's revised deal

Theresa May: We have secured what MPs asked for
A key group of Brexiteer Tory MPs say they will be voting against Theresa May's Brexit deal in the Commons later.

The European Research Group say they are not convinced by legal assurances secured by the PM in 11th hour talks with EU officials.

Mrs May had hoped the group, which helped vote down her deal in January, would change their minds.

It comes after the attorney general said the risk of being tied to the EU after Brexit "remains unchanged".

But, Geoffrey Cox added, the new assurances secured by the PM did "reduce the risk that the United Kingdom could be indefinitely and involuntarily detained" in the Irish backstop if talks on the two sides future relationship broke down due to "bad faith" by the EU.

And the question of whether a satisfactory post-Brexit deal on a permanent trading relationship can be reached remained "a political judgment".

ERG chairman Jacob Rees-Mogg said: "We've always been able to ask to leave the backstop, that is not in any sense an improvement or a development."

In a statement, the group said: "In the light of our own legal analysis and others we do not recommend accepting the government's motion today."

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 12 Mar 2019, 14:11

Who'd have thought that by not changing the rejected deal for the third consecutive time, support hasn't come flooding in for it?

The worst period of government for a long, long, long time. From creating the referendum, to triggering Article 50 (all MPs who voted for it should be properly ashamed/beaten to death), to refusing to change a rejected deal. Which isn't even a fucking deal.

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 12 Mar 2019, 19:25

Quelle surprise.
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 12 Mar 2019, 19:32

Judging by the noise out of Parliament, a new referendum is pretty much out of the question.....
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 12 Mar 2019, 22:04

Nothing is out of the question. I wouldn't be surprised if a general election is called at this point, surely May's position is untenable now.
I run out of talent

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 12 Mar 2019, 22:27

WG Kaspar wrote:Nothing is out of the question. I wouldn't be surprised if a general election is called at this point, surely May's position is untenable now.

:lol:
Her position has been untenable for months. And yet there she remains, tenning it. Still maintaining that there is only one deal, hers. It’s insanity. The only thing she can do if she wants a deal is to get softer, but that risks destroying the party.