Brexit Countdown

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 68294
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: Brexit Countdown

Postby Diamond Dog » 03 Feb 2019, 11:28

Did anyone else watch the first of the BBC three part documentary series "Inside Europe - Ten Years Of Turmoil" earlier this week?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b ... -1-we-quit



It really was a fascinating insight into exactly how we ended up in this mess - including the skullduggery of various influential players on both sides of the equation and the appallingly weak mis-management of the whole process from top to bottom.

It was also very interesting to hear the part May played in scuttling a particular deal that probably would have put this all to bed.... so, though she may have been a Remainer, she was certainly bordering on full blown Eurosceptic in her role as Home Secretary.

What also radiated throughout was how everything was played out with the single intention of keeping a) The Tories intact and b) in power... to the detriment of anything else.

A great start and one I think you'd enjoy catching up on if you missed it.
From the heart – may it return to the heart!
We first make our habits, then our habits make us
You campaign in poetry. You govern in prose.

User avatar
Jeemo
Posts: 20972
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 23:17
Location: ????

Re: Brexit Countdown

Postby Jeemo » 03 Feb 2019, 22:27

It was an excellent start. No one really came out of well, especially Cameron.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

User avatar
The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia
Posts: 45519
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:32
Location: A Metropolis of Discontent

Re: Brexit Countdown

Postby The Prof » 04 Feb 2019, 10:23

Watched the first 15 minutes so far. And, as you say, the most important thing to them all is The Conservative Party. As it continues to be now.

User avatar
Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist
Posts: 24460
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:51
Location: at sea

Re: Brexit Countdown

Postby Copehead » 04 Feb 2019, 21:16

caramba wrote:
Copehead wrote:
caramba wrote:
Perhaps you were absent on that particular day


Wow a typo
You must be feeling very proud.
Whatever helps you make it through the day feeling you managed to retain some dignity :)


Typically humourless response from Copehead.

Quick to spot others' mistakes, yet so easily upset when someone jokingly points out errors resulting from
his own unwarranted arrogance.

Given the way you continually bluster about how much better educated you are than the rest of us,
perhaps you might demonstrate your superior learning by not making such stupid errors.


It's a typo.

Where do I go round pointing out typos because I have been humiliated in argument ?

I don't do I.

I am not better educated than many on this board and I don't claim that I am.
Last edited by Copehead on 04 Feb 2019, 21:27, edited 1 time in total.
Nazi Punks, Nazi Punks, Nazi Punks, Fuck Off

Image

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

User avatar
Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist
Posts: 24460
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:51
Location: at sea

Re: Brexit Countdown

Postby Copehead » 04 Feb 2019, 21:26

Robert wrote:
Copehead wrote:
Robert wrote:
Or took the wrong study altogether. Sure as hell you did not skip that week for reading classes.

Nobody mentioned analysing a single number. The phrasing was ‘perverting’

Of course you can frame a single number by adding vaguely related other figures as a background to which
the said single figure can be made to look good or bad, whatever it is you’re trying to get across.


This is tedious isn't it?

yomptepi wrote:
Because he knows that whatever number he gives , you will pervert with statistics.


arguing over whether a plural was used when it obviously wasn't

And we come down to the fear of a whole branch of mathematics because some people don't understand it.

Yomp and stats is like a medieval King and witchcraft

Stats are a tool not of and in themselves bad What Mike is doing is just a way of blanking out anything he doesn't want to here by poisoning the well then shooting the messenger.

It isn't stats that make polling figures wrong anyway, there is little or no statistical analysis to be done, it is sampling, different pollsters sample in different ways and then make fairly arbitrary weighting allowances based on nothing much at all.

That is why a polling company like Survation can get a GE pretty much spot on whilst YouGov were way out even after they realised they were not getting it right.

Because polling figures, as shown by Fiona Bruce's egregious lying on Question time, are used as news items themselves.

But none of this, fascinating as it is, changes the fact that you don't perform statistical analysis on a solitary number as Mike thinks and no amount of dissembling from you is going to change that.


Quite, I took it at face value and though it's true there's precious little to analyse on a single number I responded to the point whether it's possible to: ' whatever number he gives' ' you will pervert with statistics'

Apart from the question if you, indeed, would, it remains possible to do, would you choose so.


Sorry still not interesting.

What is slightly more interesting is the way that polling companies will gleefully publish polls with such wild swings in them that they would have been suppressed a few years ago because they would have been embarrassed that their sampling and weighting could produce results that simply cant be right if they are doing a good job of tracking public opinion.

That is because getting useable results from polls no longer seems to be about getting accurate results but about creating or driving a narrative that the media want; hence only focussing on polls that are bad for Labour when most polls are good for Labour. This is so ubiquitous that it even fools someone whose job is supposed to involve being on top of this sort of thing; unless you think Fiona Bruce is a lying, devious Tory cow rather than a woman who can't master her brief and who thinks she is a feminist despite making jokes about another woman supposedly sleeping her way into a position of power.

The weird one is Survation - they have produce to most accurate polls when judged against recent large elections and they have shown generally good Labour poll leads since the last GE and yet they are employed by the Daily Mail to do this. I suppose you could argue that it suits the Mail to scare is barely cognisant readership with fears of a Corbvyn dictatorship in some way, but it beats me.
Nazi Punks, Nazi Punks, Nazi Punks, Fuck Off

Image

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

User avatar
yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice
Posts: 36024
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 17:57
Location: well

Re: Brexit Countdown

Postby yomptepi » 05 Feb 2019, 10:23

You don't like me...do you?

User avatar
Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist
Posts: 24460
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:51
Location: at sea

Re: Brexit Countdown

Postby Copehead » 05 Feb 2019, 11:41

yomptepi wrote:


because no one ever changes their mind?

I suppose you never change your mind, which is why you have ended up supporting a load of craven, incompetent, venal arseholes like the current Tory Party so it isn't surprising you ascribe the same blockheadedness to others, and they call Corbyn stupid :roll:
Nazi Punks, Nazi Punks, Nazi Punks, Fuck Off

Image

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

User avatar
yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice
Posts: 36024
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 17:57
Location: well

Re: Brexit Countdown

Postby yomptepi » 05 Feb 2019, 13:07

Corbyn never changes his mind. He is famously fixed in his opinions. A tiger never changes its stripes. Live with it.
You don't like me...do you?

User avatar
Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist
Posts: 24460
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:51
Location: at sea

Re: Brexit Countdown

Postby Copehead » 05 Feb 2019, 17:32

yomptepi wrote:Corbyn never changes his mind. He is famously fixed in his opinions. A tiger never changes its stripes. Live with it.


And also I don't remember him ever claiming that the EU was a perfect organisation incapable of improvement.

I think he gave it 7/10 and said he wanted to lead reform from the left from within the organisation during the referendum, so the whole idea of this being some sort of gotcha moment just shows the paucity of intellect on the right and the gullibility of those who swallow this sort of crap because it all falls to bits with a few moments of critical thought.

Not that you'd recognise critical thought if it walked up in front of you and hit you over the head with a comedy mallet with "critical thought" emblazoned on it.
Nazi Punks, Nazi Punks, Nazi Punks, Fuck Off

Image

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

User avatar
yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice
Posts: 36024
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 17:57
Location: well

Re: Brexit Countdown

Postby yomptepi » 05 Feb 2019, 17:38

Copehead wrote:
yomptepi wrote:Corbyn never changes his mind. He is famously fixed in his opinions. A tiger never changes its stripes. Live with it.


And also I don't remember him ever claiming that the EU was a perfect organisation incapable of improvement.

I think he gave it 7/10 and said he wanted to lead reform from the left from within the organisation during the referendum, so the whole idea of this being some sort of gotcha moment just shows the paucity of intellect on the right and the gullibility of those who swallow this sort of crap because it all falls to bits with a few moments of critical thought.

Not that you'd recognise critical thought if it walked up in front of you and hit you over the head with a comedy mallet with "critical thought" emblazoned on it.


Ahhh. Of course "the gullibility of those who swallow this sort of crap because it all falls to bits with a few moments of critical thought."

Not the gullibility of the brain dead Corbynite fringe. The true believers , who will make an excuse for every fart and burp he ever misplaced. Just watch the video, and understand that your hero is a liar and a fraud. A weasel and a cheat. You can believe what he says here because he doesn't have to censor himself. This is the real Corbyn . The one who will never change. The one who believes he cannot be wrong and that anyone who dares to cross him must be purged. Next you will be telling me that those polls showing him 7 points behind are a conspiracy Will. Are they? Are they a conspiracy against the sacred one. God forbid.
You don't like me...do you?

User avatar
Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist
Posts: 24460
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:51
Location: at sea

Re: Brexit Countdown

Postby Copehead » 05 Feb 2019, 17:49

yomptepi wrote:
Copehead wrote:
yomptepi wrote:Corbyn never changes his mind. He is famously fixed in his opinions. A tiger never changes its stripes. Live with it.


And also I don't remember him ever claiming that the EU was a perfect organisation incapable of improvement.

I think he gave it 7/10 and said he wanted to lead reform from the left from within the organisation during the referendum, so the whole idea of this being some sort of gotcha moment just shows the paucity of intellect on the right and the gullibility of those who swallow this sort of crap because it all falls to bits with a few moments of critical thought.

Not that you'd recognise critical thought if it walked up in front of you and hit you over the head with a comedy mallet with "critical thought" emblazoned on it.


Ahhh. Of course "the gullibility of those who swallow this sort of crap because it all falls to bits with a few moments of critical thought."

Not the gullibility of the brain dead Corbynite fringe. The true believers , who will make an excuse for every fart and burp he ever misplaced. Just watch the video, and understand that your hero is a liar and a fraud. A weasel and a cheat. You can believe what he says here because he doesn't have to censor himself. This is the real Corbyn . The one who will never change. The one who believes he cannot be wrong and that anyone who dares to cross him must be purged. Next you will be telling me that those polls showing him 7 points behind are a conspiracy Will. Are they? Are they a conspiracy against the sacred one. God forbid.


I think you've incorrectly pluralised poll there Mike.

Wouldn't like anyone to accuse you of lying now would we
Nazi Punks, Nazi Punks, Nazi Punks, Fuck Off

Image

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Powehi
Posts: 929
Joined: 25 Aug 2016, 17:12

Re: Brexit Countdown

Postby Powehi » 06 Feb 2019, 12:17

The lies have it!

Welcome back after your several day-long strop.

My jokey comment dealt with a typo you made in a post about the superiority of the Welsh education system from which you as a Welshman benefited.

Funny how you omitted your original post (included below for context) from your response. Probably because it exposed you as the thin-skinned, humourless bully you are.

caramba wrote:
Copehead wrote:
yomptepi wrote:
It's Corbyn speak.

It doesn't matter what you say, what is important is that you say it in a dismissive, belittling, patronizing and sneering manner. The idea being that your superior tone will make your opponent back down. As used widely by the SNP ( worked well for them) and now the preferred tone of the metropolitan elite and Welsh tax dodgers.

I blame the poor education that English pupils appear to have got in the their schools, things were obviously a little more rigorous in Wales and Scotland.


Perhaps you were absent on that particular day


What’s also funny is how you present my exposing you as a liar as somehow resulting in me rather than you as being humiliated.

As regards your continual carping of the superiority of your education and intelligence over everyone else’s, it’s all a few clicks away via the search engine.


Now we've each had our rebuttals, can we stop clogging up the board and get back to discussing Brexit now please?

User avatar
Robert
Posts: 1160
Joined: 27 Dec 2013, 13:24

Re: Brexit Countdown

Postby Robert » 06 Feb 2019, 12:58

From FT


Donald Tusk said there is a “special place in hell” for those who advocated Brexit without knowing how to deliver it, as he urged Theresa May to make realistic proposals for breaking the deadlock over the Irish border.
The EU council president warned that there will be no new EU proposal over Ireland to unlock Brexit talks, adding that Brussels had decided in December that Britain’s withdrawal agreement would not be reopened.


A special place in hell! :lol:


May will think she's been there for some time already.

User avatar
The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia
Posts: 45519
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:32
Location: A Metropolis of Discontent

Re: Brexit Countdown

Postby The Prof » 06 Feb 2019, 13:26

She merrily marched there.

Dunno about a 'special' place though. Just normal Hell would do.

Powehi
Posts: 929
Joined: 25 Aug 2016, 17:12

Re: Brexit Countdown

Postby Powehi » 06 Feb 2019, 14:36

JRM does Pulp's Common People - Just brilliant


User avatar
Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist
Posts: 24460
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:51
Location: at sea

Re: Brexit Countdown

Postby Copehead » 06 Feb 2019, 18:20

caramba wrote:T
What’s also funny is how you present my exposing you as a liar as somehow resulting in me rather than you as being humiliated.



No what's really funny is you being thick and desperate enough to try and pretend I've been lying anywhere.

You really are exposing yourself a small, sad prick of a person if you want to continue down this road.

But no skin off my nose I literally couldn't give less of a fuck what you think about me.

Now when Mike took up this claim I didn't like that and I told him so.

But you can carry right on as it is more amusing than anything else; you think you have somehow scored a small victory because I referenced a claim I made on Twitter as if I had made it one here, when it had little or no bearing on the point I was making anyway.

If that makes you feel like you have won a victory somehow how then take it, I doubt you get many chances to feel this good about yourself and I won't be denying you this one, it would be cruel.
Nazi Punks, Nazi Punks, Nazi Punks, Fuck Off

Image

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

User avatar
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector
Posts: 30447
Joined: 29 Dec 2006, 16:00
Location: In the naughty North and in the sexy South

Re: Brexit Countdown

Postby Minnie the Minx » 06 Feb 2019, 18:29

:lol:
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

User avatar
The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!
Posts: 13476
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: Brexit Countdown

Postby The Modernist » 06 Feb 2019, 20:01

caramba wrote:JRM does Pulp's Common People - Just brilliant



:lol: Brilliant!

User avatar
Lord Rother
Posts: 6719
Joined: 11 Feb 2009, 11:54
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Re: Brexit Countdown

Postby Lord Rother » 07 Feb 2019, 07:26

Lord Rother wrote:Is this the place where the Opinium poll conducted for the Observer giving the Tories a 7% lead will be discussed?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... l-election


There’s been so much shit posted on here by the usual protagonists in the last few days that it may have passed me by but has there any response from our resident poll analyst on this?

DD's Ball Bag
Posts: 267
Joined: 04 Jan 2017, 20:22

Re: Brexit Countdown

Postby DD's Ball Bag » 07 Feb 2019, 08:08

You bald, uptight cunt.

How's that?
GoogaMooga wrote:Alright everybody, the latest thrift shop discovery is, in one word, WOW...!