Brexit Countdown

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Deebank
Resonator

Re: Brexit Countdown

Postby Deebank » 03 Jan 2019, 14:33

PENK wrote:
PENK wrote:So, that £100m of public money the Tories have just spent on irrelevant contingency ferry deals that even the ferry operators say won’t have any effect on customs?

Turns out £14m of it went to a company who have never run a ferry service and who do not even own any ferries. The company seem also to have no employees, assets or premises.

NOTHING DODGY HERE NO NOT AT ALL

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-46714984

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jan/03/brexit-freight-ferry-firm-appears-all-geared-up-to-deliver-pizzas?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

:lol:

They also had their back office PW and login displayed on their website apparently and any enquiries to the site were redirectoed to Google. It's almost as if they got a mate to set up the whole thing very quickly. :?

On a positive note (for Seaborne Freight) it appears the boss is NOT (top Tory donor and rabidly anti EU JCB boss) Lord Bamford's brother. Although his name is Mark Bamford no link has been proven, as yet!
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

The Prof
Composing a revolutionary symphony

Postby The Prof » 03 Jan 2019, 15:12

Mmmmm...

"Seabourne Freight shares the same registered Address, 59 Mansell Street, as the Maritime Law firm Campbell Johnson Clark whose Director is called Mark Bamford, I did two minutes of research, Antony Bamford of JCB is a huge Tory party donor, his brother is called Mark#seabourne"
from

SuffolkRed
@THEmrschomsky

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 03 Jan 2019, 15:46

The Prof wrote:Mmmmm...

"Seabourne Freight shares the same registered Address, 59 Mansell Street, as the Maritime Law firm Campbell Johnson Clark whose Director is called Mark Bamford, I did two minutes of research, Antony Bamford of JCB is a huge Tory party donor, his brother is called Mark#seabourne"
from

SuffolkRed
@THEmrschomsky

Elsewhere someone points out that this Mark B is 40 ish whereas Lord B is over 70, so unlikely to be his bro.

Mind you JCB is still family owned and many Bamfords are involved - there is considerable extended family.

I would not be at all surprised if a link were proved. And Lord Sir Anthony Bamford is the tories largest single donor and massive europhobe.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

The Prof

Postby The Prof » 04 Jan 2019, 10:44

It comes to something when you're surprised if there ISN'T a whiff of corruption or dodgyness about a Tory action.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 07 Jan 2019, 21:49

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46784643

"The PM has said she is trying to get further assurances from the European Union so she can win the Commons vote on her Brexit deal next week."

Which means she hasn't got any such assurances yet. And isn't going to get them.

We've just wasted a month for nothing. We are due to leave the EU in 71 days.
To sleep, perchance to dream- ay, there's the rub
I don't like that man. I must get to know him better.
The fashion of passion i rationed with caution because of the notion the potion of passion had never been passed to me

Powehi

Postby Powehi » 08 Jan 2019, 09:27

Anyone watch Brexit: Uncivil War on C4 last night?

Although a bit like Brexit itself in that no one is going to be happy with the end result, I thought it was a pretty good couple of hours TV.

All Out War, the Tim Shipman book on which it was largely based is well worth reading for anyone interested in learning more about Dominic Cummings, or the arrogance and complacency that caused Cameron and his fellow Remain campaign leaders to fuck up so badly.

Given the mess we're all now having to deal with, I can't recall either the book or the film addressing Cummings' real beliefs re Brexit - assuming he viewed (or still views) it as anything more than a platform for his strategising.

Robert

Postby Robert » 08 Jan 2019, 10:05

Diamond Dog wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46784643

"The PM has said she is trying to get further assurances from the European Union so she can win the Commons vote on her Brexit deal next week."

Which means she hasn't got any such assurances yet. And isn't going to get them.

We've just wasted a month for nothing. We are due to leave the EU in 71 days.

From the Guardian:

Leo Varadkar, the Irish prime minister, has said the EU is willing to give written assurances about the withdrawal agreement ahead of next week’s vote at Westminster. Speaking to reporters during a trip to Mali, the taoiseach said:

The summit conclusions at our last meeting in December provided written assurances, but what’s happening at the moment is there is close contact between the UK and EU institutions as to whether a further set of written guarantees, explanations and assurances could make a difference.

Our intent, once the withdrawal agreement has been ratified by Westminster and the European Parliament, is to get into talks on the future relationship on the new economic and trade treaty with Britain, on the new security partnership with Britain.

We don’t want to trap the UK into anything - we want to get on to the talks about the future relationship right away.

I think it’s those kind of assurances we are happy to give.

The EU has repeatedly said that any assurances of this kind would not amount to a renegotiation of the withdrawal agreement. Instead, they would take the form of a clarification.

But Varadkar also said he could not satisfy the DUP or Brexiters. He said:

It’s impossible for me to speak on behalf of the DUP or on behalf of the Brexiteers.

I can’t say what would or would not satisfy them. What I can say is that Ireland set out its objectives from day one. We regret the UK is leaving the EU, but they are.

The Prof

Postby The Prof » 08 Jan 2019, 10:59

caramba wrote:Anyone watch Brexit: Uncivil War on C4 last night?

Although a bit like Brexit itself in that no one is going to be happy with the end result, I thought it was a pretty good couple of hours TV.

All Out War, the Tim Shipman book on which it was largely based is well worth reading for anyone interested in learning more about Dominic Cummings, or the arrogance and complacency that caused Cameron and his fellow Remain campaign leaders to fuck up so badly.

Given the mess we're all now having to deal with, I can't recall either the book or the film addressing Cummings' real beliefs re Brexit - assuming he viewed (or still views) it as anything more than a platform for his strategising.

I thought it was pretty good too.

Possibly because I agreed with the gist of the piece - and the characterisations
All the Brexiteers were twats. Devious twats, stupid twats, selfish twats and foolish twats.
The only relatable character was Tory Craig Oliver who seemed to watch helplessly as Dominic Cummings' strategy left the Remainer camp permanently playing catch-up. The closing scenes showed him explain to Cummings the damage he'd done.
I'm still lost as to what Cummins' motivation was.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 08 Jan 2019, 12:08

I thought it was outstanding, both as a drama but also in the way it showed how large numbers of people can be manipulated. The latter is very worrying indeed.
It probably overdid the charisma and impact of Cummings, and came dangerously close to hero worshipping him at times; as important as he was there were lots of factors in the why Britain voted Brexit.

The Prof

Postby The Prof » 08 Jan 2019, 12:29

The Modernist wrote:as important as he was there were lots of factors in the why Britain voted Brexit.

but convincing enough people that Europe is responsible for everything that's bad and 'taking back control' is the answer proved to be decisive.

That and the lies

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/ ... lic/08/02/

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 08 Jan 2019, 12:46

Yes sure, but those resentments weren't created by Cummins and the drama underplayed the role played by others, notably Farage, in what happened.

Robert

Postby Robert » 10 Jan 2019, 09:42

" No, but this is a serious matter! It has been noticed in recent months that you drive in a car with a sticker on the wind shield that contains derogatory statements on Brexit "

"The right honourable gentleman, for which I have the highest regard, makes a mistake. That is not my car, it belongs to my wife"

:lol: :lol:

Quality debate!

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 10 Jan 2019, 09:56

Robert wrote:" No, but this is a serious matter! It has been noticed in recent months that you drive in a car with a sticker on the wind shield that contains derogatory statements on Brexit "

"The right honourable gentleman, for which I have the highest regard, makes a mistake. That is not my car, it belongs to my wife"

Quality debate!

You've got to love Bercow. He fucking loves winding up the tory right.
I was pleasantly surprised to hear Rees-Mogg backing him up this morning in a 'I don't agree with what he did but he had every right to do it' kind of way.

Powehi

Postby Powehi » 10 Jan 2019, 10:32

The Modernist wrote:Yes sure, but those resentments weren't created by Cummins and the drama underplayed the role played by others, notably Farage, in what happened.

James Graham, who wrote the thing, made it very clear from the outset that his script was more about DC and the officially accredited "Vote Leave" campaign than it was about Banks/Farage. As Cummings character said in the film, Vote Leave could let B/F fan the flames, while it exploited the resultant resentments without seeming to dirty its hands.

Ultimately, the story of DC and VL is far less widely known and a lot more interesting than the story of B/F. Let's also not forget that in making Vote Leave the official "Out" party, the government itself tried its hardest to distance themselves from B/F.

Given that JG only had a couple of hours to cover a very complex issue, I know which of the two stories I'd rather have watched.
Last edited by Powehi on 10 Jan 2019, 10:56, edited 1 time in total.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 10 Jan 2019, 10:47

The initial gang are here, OK?
To sleep, perchance to dream- ay, there's the rub
I don't like that man. I must get to know him better.
The fashion of passion i rationed with caution because of the notion the potion of passion had never been passed to me

Powehi

Postby Powehi » 10 Jan 2019, 10:57

Diamond Dog wrote:The initial gang are here, OK?

Well the non BCBexiteers are..

The Prof

Postby The Prof » 10 Jan 2019, 11:18

DC = super hero comics
B/F = boyfriend
VL = Virtual Fighter, (Computer game)
JG = Job Guide

Hope this helps.

Powehi

Postby Powehi » 10 Jan 2019, 13:23

The Prof wrote:
Hope this helps.

Surely that should read* "HTH"?

* STSR

Robert

Postby Robert » 10 Jan 2019, 13:25

Deebank wrote:
Robert wrote:" No, but this is a serious matter! It has been noticed in recent months that you drive in a car with a sticker on the wind shield that contains derogatory statements on Brexit "

Quality debate!

I was pleasantly surprised to hear Rees-Mogg backing him up this morning in a 'I don't agree with what he did but he had every right to do it' kind of way.

He certainly is a funny fucker!

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 10 Jan 2019, 13:29

Robert wrote:
Deebank wrote:

Quality debate!

He certainly is a funny fucker!

On reflection I suspect it was revenge. He was furious about May postponing the meaningful vote.