Brexit Countdown

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
The Prof
Composing a revolutionary symphony

Brexit Countdown

Postby The Prof » 15 Aug 2018, 18:09

Just over 7 months left before Britain leaves the EU and I vary between getting bored with the whole thing and wondering about all the ‘stuff’ that’s not been thought of yet.
What will happen at 11:00pm on March 31st 2019?

If you get as spare hour, you can knock yourself out watching these three scaring the bejesus out of everything in Part 1. More to follow, I’m sure.

EU licences and certification will become null & void and unless there is replacement documentation and insurance in place we’re buggered!
On the other hand The Millennium Bug was a bit of a damp squib so it’ll all be OK.

I’ve sill got in the back on my mind the words of Jimmy Jazz of this parish who is adamant Brexit won’t happen.

Are you worried?

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Re: Brexit Countdown

Postby the masked man » 15 Aug 2018, 18:52

The Millennium Bug was only a 'damp squib' because companies worldwide spent millions on correcting code. On Brexit, meanwhile, a policy supported by both main parties, there is absolutely no serious planning going on. It's not going to be pretty.

We are absolutely heading for a disaster engineered by those clowns Cameron, May and Corbyn.

The Prof

Postby The Prof » 15 Aug 2018, 19:13

the masked man wrote:The Millennium Bug was only a 'damp squib' because companies worldwide spent millions on correcting code.

Yeh - I just used that as an example of the last time there was a countdown to something that could have had massive consequences.
Of course, we knew what the problem was but with Brexit there's tons of problems.

Hundreds of years of Empire, building up trade relations, tariffs and deals around the world ended when we joined the EU. We've spent 40 years working on a new set of rules with Europe and in just over 6 months we become a 3rd party.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 15 Aug 2018, 19:30

the masked man wrote:The Millennium Bug was only a 'damp squib' because companies worldwide spent millions on correcting code. On Brexit, meanwhile, a policy supported by both main parties, there is absolutely no serious planning going on. It's not going to be pretty.

We are absolutely heading for a disaster engineered by those clowns Cameron, May and Corbyn.

Don't forget Johnson and Farage.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 15 Aug 2018, 19:33

the masked man wrote:We are absolutely heading for a disaster engineered by those clowns Cameron, May and Corbyn.

How exactly does Corbyn get the blame for a referendum brought by the Tories and being 'negotiated' (and I use the term loosely) at both Westminster & EU by the Tories?
1-800-288-8372

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 15 Aug 2018, 20:18

The Prof wrote:...
Are you worried?

No, would it help ?
It's out of my control.
Nikki Gradual wrote: Santana is just lift music really, isn’t it ?

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 15 Aug 2018, 21:26

Diamond Dog wrote:
the masked man wrote:We are absolutely heading for a disaster engineered by those clowns Cameron, May and Corbyn.

How exactly does Corbyn get the blame for a referendum brought by the Tories and being 'negotiated' (and I use the term loosely) at both Westminster & EU by the Tories?

He never once offered credible opposition to Brexit, and, given his long-standing Euro=skepticism, this is no surprise. He could have swung the vote. He chose not to, and has cynically seen hard Brexit as a way to gain power. I regard this as a betrayal of his country. He is as culpable as anyone else.

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 15 Aug 2018, 21:33

I was talking to a new colleague today and, hitting upon my Britishness for something to talk about, he asked about Brexit. I had to tell him that literally nobody knows what is happening. And it's the truth, isn't it?

I need to get my Swedish citizenship approved quickly.
Copehead wrote:I have met Gruff Rhys - although he claimed he wasn't and that he couldn't speak Welsh, as I spoke to him in Welsh, but it was him lying bastard.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 15 Aug 2018, 21:42

the masked man wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:

He never once offered credible opposition to Brexit, and, given his long-standing Euro=skepticism, this is no surprise. He could have swung the vote. He chose not to, and has cynically seen hard Brexit as a way to gain power. I regard this as a betrayal of his country. He is as culpable as anyone else.

Right you are.

I guess this makes Einstein culpable for WW2.
1-800-288-8372

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 15 Aug 2018, 21:59

the masked man wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:

The idea that Corbyn could have swung the Brexit vote is one of your best yet, people like you are doing your best to make sure he is toxic and then complain when he can't do something you want him to do because of it.

This is called having your cake and eating it I believe.

The Tories own Brexit and the people like you who do down Corbyn are making sure it is going to be the worst sort of Brexit imaginable

I hope you are proud of yourself you couldn't have made things worse if you'd tried and still you just sit there moaning about Corbyn.
Nazi Punks, Nazi Punks, Nazi Punks, Fuck Off

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

The Prof

Postby The Prof » 15 Aug 2018, 22:03

Corbyn is famously 'seven out of 10' on Brexit and that seems to me to be a perfectly sensible thing to say.

It means that you are someone who has looked at both sides of the argument, weighed up the benefits and losses and come firmly down on the side of remain.

He did give loads of talks and speeches and down the country (more than a lot of people) but, naturally, most of those speeches weren't reported.

The Prof

Postby The Prof » 15 Aug 2018, 22:07

Would we even have had this referendum if Nick Clegg had worked with Gordon Brown in 2010 rather than Cameron?

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 15 Aug 2018, 22:22

I've watched that video a couple of times. It concentrates solely on the trade aspect and there are a lot of technical terms involved that are not explained very well. I'll write a bit more when I have more time.
I run out of talent

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 16 Aug 2018, 04:12

Gadfly

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 16 Aug 2018, 10:30

The Prof wrote:Corbyn is famously 'seven out of 10' on Brexit and that seems to me to be a perfectly sensible thing to say.

It means that you are someone who has looked at both sides of the argument, weighed up the benefits and losses and come firmly down on the side of remain.

He did give loads of talks and speeches and down the country (more than a lot of people) but, naturally, most of those speeches weren't reported.

Except he supports Brexit.
This idea that Corbyn has somehow been misunderstood or misreported or underreported on his stance on Brexit is patently untrue. Labour 100% supports the outcome of the vote, is not calling for a second referendum, and nor is it in any way seeking to reenter the EU. Hence he is pro-Brexit. Very simple. And yes, that makes him as culpable as the rest, because he really has been in the position to make the outcome very different. Would Brexit have looked different under a Corbyn? Almost certainly - but it is still brexit.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

The Prof

Postby The Prof » 16 Aug 2018, 10:47

Unless he's lying, he voted to remain. We might see some changes to party policy during the conference.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 16 Aug 2018, 11:45

doesn't matter what he voted in the slightest. it's what he's done since then that causes the damage (for people like me).
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 16 Aug 2018, 22:00

Geezee wrote:doesn't matter what he voted in the slightest. it's what he's done since then that causes the damage (for people like me).

What he's done since then is learn from the lessons of the Indy ref in Scotland; that if he or the Labour Party gets heavily involved in the outcomes when it all goes to hell, as it inevitably will with this shit shower in charge, then the failure will be hung around his neck and the party's by the BBC, the press and all the opposition parties and seemingly by you.

You are already to an extent doing this.

With their terrorist supporting chums the Tories have a majority in Parliament and can do what they want.

When there was one chance to ambush them and perhaps bring down the government on a Brexit confidence motion 4 Red Tories, including Kate Hoey who is in the process of being deselected by the labour party and that sanctimonious cunt Frank Field, voted with the government.

I'm not sure what you want him to do but I want him to make sure that this remains ( no pun intended ) a Tory show and when it is inevitably a disaster it keeps them out of office for the rest of my days; he can pick up the pieces because he can do nothing more at the moment.

The Labour Party has been very deliberate about on staying on the right side of political opinion in the UK; as we move against Brexit and for a second referendum the Labour Party has followed, it may not be brave but after the fucking over they got in Scotland it is necessary for survival.
Nazi Punks, Nazi Punks, Nazi Punks, Fuck Off

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 16 Aug 2018, 22:05

That's exactly how it's being played out and more power to his elbow. The last thing he needs to do is give the Tories an excuse to hang it on his shoulders.
1-800-288-8372

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 16 Aug 2018, 22:23

Copehead wrote:
Geezee wrote:doesn't matter what he voted in the slightest. it's what he's done since then that causes the damage (for people like me).

What he's done since then is learn from the lessons of the Indy ref in Scotland; that if he or the Labour Party gets heavily involved in the outcomes when it all goes to hell, as it inevitably will with this shit shower in charge, then the failure will be hung around his neck and the party's by the BBC, the press and all the opposition parties and seemingly by you.

You are already to an extent doing this.

With their terrorist supporting chums the Tories have a majority in Parliament and can do what they want.

When there was one chance to ambush them and perhaps bring down the government on a Brexit confidence motion 4 Red Tories, including Kate Hoey who is in the process of being deselected by the labour party and that sanctimonious cunt Frank Field, voted with the government.

I'm not sure what you want him to do but I want him to make sure that this remains ( no pun intended ) a Tory show and when it is inevitably a disaster it keeps them out of office for the rest of my days; he can pick up the pieces because he can do nothing more at the moment.

The Labour Party has been very deliberate about on staying on the right side of political opinion in the UK; as we move against Brexit and for a second referendum the Labour Party has followed, it may not be brave but after the fucking over they got in Scotland it is necessary for survival.

Very simple - I want him to oppose Brexit. He is not. It's not rocket science.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON