sunglasses
Bruce Springsteen
chewing gum
castles
The Guardian
electric toothbrushes
the Chinese
Eastenders
Darkness_Fish wrote:This is a big fucking mess of absolute shit from the off.

Rayge

Re: what do you think about.....?

Postby Rayge » 09 Aug 2018, 21:26

Samantha Fox - gratified by the way it impacted on the Sun's army of wankers when she came out
cider - cheapest way to get drunk when I was a student (possible exception, barley wine, but that tasted revolting, especially when it reappeared); three pints of Gaymers Olde English for less than 50p. Haven't had any for 40 years
James Dean - Inspired a wonderful song by Phil Ochs, but I never really participated in the fetishisation of his image
marshmallows - horrid. Even as a kid, I didn't like them, althought what was sold as marshmallow back then wasn't necessarily the same as today.
Wales I've been known to be very rude about it, or more specifically about the Welsh, but given the bizarre fact that three of my oldest friends – from Tottenham, Sheffield and Belfast – have lived there for three or four decades each, and produced, incidentally, eight Welsh children and six similarly afflicted grandchildren, I have spent a lot of time there over the decades and am passing fond of many places therein
Reese's Peanut Butter Cups - first I ever heard of them
pie and mash - no great fan, despite my origins, of the shop-bought variety: always preferred chips with meat pies: Quorn 'steak' pies are the business, though, especially with dauphinoise potatoes
sunglasses haven't worn them in years - never bought an expensive pair, because I was always losing or destroying them. Can't remember being caught up in the idea of their being cool, but I might have been. Long time ago
Bruce Springsteen I liked him a lot around the time of Born to Run, bought several of the early albums, gave up around Tunnel of Love. Never saw him live, although several performances on film. On the whole I'm gad he's around, and made a fair few Spectorish tracks I like. He's analagous to Weller in the better stuff being near the beginning of his career, and a general feeling that he ran out of interestng things to say in the 1980s
chewing gum - generally not since i was a kid, and I never really liked mint much, but I've had the occasional binges on Juicy Fruit (especially in my 20s when taking speed). Learned only recently that the 'gum base' to be found on the list of ingredients of most gums is an indigestible plastic. Don't see it discolouring pavements as often it used to.
castles - too big a subject for one of these posts, I guess. As someone interested in the history, architecture, landscape and geography of Britain, they loom large, but as as a pacifist with anarchist sympathies I see them as symbols of militarism and repression. As often ruined shapes in a landscape, they can have a haunting beauty, and pretend castles such as Castell Coch and Bodiam have a lot of charm, but I would rather visit a small mediaeval church in the middle of nowhere (as I did this very day) than some ponced-up still-occupied monument to privilege and feudalism such as Arundel or Windsor.
The Guardian - I read the Mirror until I was about 40 then switched to the Guardian, largely because of their crosswords (Araucaria a god) and cartoons being better, and it being a longer read. The modern paper/website has a certina namby-pambyism about it, but the fact that the right hates it, and of course that all other national dailies other than the Mirro and Morning Star have long been filthy right-wing rags owned by disgusting scummers that I wouldn't used to wipe my arse (the owners, not the papers), means that it is the only place to go in this country for the sort of news I am interested in
electric toothbrushes - a con on techno-wankers (or indeed ordinary onanists so afflicted with wanker's doom that they can no longer move their hands up and down). Simply pathetic.
the Chinese :? The Chinese what? People? Er, I believe there's a hell of a lot of them, and every one of them carries their own universe around with them. And that's the only thing you can say about them as a whole.
EastEnders - I can't be bothered to defend it now, but for 20 years or so it got open-ended drama absolutely right. Some astonishingly good writing and acting going on - not all the time, obvs, but enough to keep me coming back and getting involved with the characters. The move to three episodes a week started to strain things, and the move to four led to my stopping watching it, as they ramped up the sensationalism and silly plotlines in an attempt to fill two hours a week. Haven't watched it in 15 years, but occasionally dip into it by accident.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 09 Aug 2018, 21:34

Samantha Fox
I can't even think of a crap pun. I have nothing here.

cider
An evil. It was bad enough when it became fashionable again, and not only acceptable to the homeless and 15 year old girls. But they've started doing craft ale versions of cider, and I almost ordered one by accident the other week.

James Dean
Jim Dean of Indiana is a decent enough song. I have seen Rebel Without a Cause, and enjoyed it, but I can't remember much about it.

marshmallows
Disappointing. Good toasted though.

Wales
I love the place, generally. Countryside, seaside, shit towns, it's got everything. The people, particularly from the south, in my limited experience, are odd.

Reese's Peanut Butter Cups
I don't do peanuts.

pie and mash
Doesn't really need the mash. The pie should be a meal in and of itself, and contain the potatoes if potatoes are required.

sunglasses
Not for me, some people look cool in them, I just look like seedy.

Bruce Springsteen
Like a yank Paul Weller. As dull and conservative as its possible to be, but on a much bigger scale.

chewing gum
A bigger evil than cider. Seriously, what's the point of that shit?

castles
I spent half my holidays as a kid being dragged around castles when it was pissing it down. And now I'm a parent, I spend half my time dragging my son round castles when it pisses it down. The reason: They're fucking awesome.

The Guardian
I read it occasionally, but it lost its credibility with its support for the Iraq war, and never really recovered. Its music pages are a disgrace, I'll never understand why broadsheets treat film as though it's the most sacred art form known to man, and music as a diversion for kids.

electric toothbrushes
Scrubbers.

the Chinese
Not met 'em all yet.

Eastenders
Like most telly, it can fuck right off.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 09 Aug 2018, 21:35

Samantha Fox - Pretty cute in her day. I heard some weird stories about her that I've never bothered following through on - something about an insurance policy for her tits, etc.

cider - I'm starting to appreciate it now that I can get stuff that's actually made from apples and not just some mass-produced garbage.

James Dean - I don't really have an opinion on him, if I'm honest.

marshmallows - My gal loves them, and would happily eat them all the time if she could. I don't mind them, but I don't need more than one or two, if I'm eating them straight-up.

Wales - Never been. I hear it's nice, but I've also heard that the Welsh are maniacs from birth.

Reese's Peanut Butter Cups - If you lined 'em up from Toronto to Los Angeles, I would happily devour that line.

pie and mash - I like pie. I like mashed potatoes. I'm sure the two go very well together.

sunglasses - I wouldn't be without them. The sun is very bright, in case you hadn't noticed.

Bruce Springsteen - A little goes a long way. I listened to Born To Run (the LP) the other day and enjoyed it, but I don't think it's as much of a masterpiece as it's made out to be.

chewing gum - Like BCB, sticking around for far too long.

castles - Must be a bitch to heat in the winter time.

The Guardian - I occasionally read articles from them online, and I have an impression of its bias based on what people here say about it, but I don't have anything to say about them.

electric toothbrushes - Fuck that shit.

the Chinese - I know someone's going to say "great bunch of lads".

Eastenders - Never watched it.
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

TG

Postby TG » 09 Aug 2018, 21:39

Samantha Fox - Honestly, I know I should know who she is but I’m not entirely sure.
cider - I like cider vinegar.
James Dean - I haven’t seen his movies in decades but I remember that he was good in them.
marshmallows - Hate them.
Wales - I never think about Wales but I do remember Monty Python making jokes about the Welsh.
Reese's Peanut Butter Cups - A pretty good candy for mass produced bad candy.
pie and mash - No thoughts.
sunglasses - I have two pairs of prescription Ray Bans that I wear a lot.
Bruce Springsteen - A handful of good songs, a boatload of mediocre or worse songs. I saw him in concert in 1979. I’m not sure the concert has ended yet.
chewing gum - never partake.
castles - I live in Southern California. Right now I live a couple of miles from the Harry Potter castle at Universal Studios. Many years ago I lived a few miles from the castle at Disneyland. That’s So Cal royalty!
The Guardian - You guys misspell it a lot on here. I read the L.A. Times and the N.Y. Times.
electric toothbrushes - I have one.
the Chinese - The Chinese what?
Eastenders - It’s a TV show. That’s all I know.
Jeff K wrote:Not at all. I love TG. I might be the only one on BCB who does but I don't care.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 09 Aug 2018, 21:57

Samantha Fox - Maria Whittaker.
cider - Full of gas innit? I quite like a Cidre in the summer.
James Dean - The Eagles had plenty of shit songs. This is one.
marshmallows - Candy Floss.
Wales - Had a really great holiday there (see Springsteen).
Reese's Peanut Butter Cups - Two and that’s enough. Dry the gob out.
pie and mash - Cockernee style? Who knows?
sunglasses - I’ve got a pair from Boots. £10 and I look great.
Bruce Springsteen - When you’ve got a broken heart Bruce is there for you, gives you strength, gets you back on your feet. He knows. Love him.
chewing gum - Amazing.
castles - Really dull. And cold.
The Guardian - Peter Bradshaw. Marina Hyde.
electric toothbrushes - Pretty good. Are you supposed to move them up and down though?
the Chinese - A fourteen, a seven, a nine and lychees.
Eastenders - Mary and Lofty.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...yet it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce, didn't it?

Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings
hounds people off the board
Location: selling a self-detonating James Last CD to a Copenhagen thrift store

Postby Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings » 09 Aug 2018, 22:53

Rayge wrote:Samantha Fox - gratified by the way it impacted on the Sun's army of wankers when she came out
cider - cheapest way to get drunk when I was a student (possible exception, barley wine, but that tasted revolting, especially when it reappeared); three pints of Gaymers Olde English for less than 50p. Haven't had any for 40 years
James Dean - Inspired a wonderful song by Phil Ochs, but I never really participated in the fetishisation of his image
marshmallows - horrid. Even as a kid, I didn't like them, althought what was sold as marshmallow back then wasn't necessarily the same as today.
Wales I've been known to be very rude about it, or more specifically about the Welsh, but given the bizarre fact that three of my oldest friends – from Tottenham, Sheffield and Belfast – have lived there for three or four decades each, and produced, incidentally, eight Welsh children and six similarly afflicted grandchildren, I have spent a lot of time there over the decades and am passing fond of many places therein
Reese's Peanut Butter Cups - first I ever heard of them
pie and mash - no great fan, despite my origins, of the shop-bought variety: always preferred chips with meat pies: Quorn 'steak' pies are the business, though, especially with dauphinoise potatoes
sunglasses haven't worn them in years - never bought an expensive pair, because I was always losing or destroying them. Can't remember being caught up in the idea of their being cool, but I might have been. Long time ago
Bruce Springsteen I liked him a lot around the time of Born to Run, bought several of the early albums, gave up around Tunnel of Love. Never saw him live, although several performances on film. On the whole I'm gad he's around, and made a fair few Spectorish tracks I like. He's analagous to Weller in the better stuff being near the beginning of his career, and a general feeling that he ran out of interestng things to say in the 1980s
chewing gum - generally not since i was a kid, and I never really liked mint much, but I've had the occasional binges on Juicy Fruit (especially in my 20s when taking speed). Learned only recently that the 'gum base' to be found on the list of ingredients of most gums is an indigestible plastic. Don't see it discolouring pavements as often it used to.
castles - too big a subject for one of these posts, I guess. As someone interested in the history, architecture, landscape and geography of Britain, they loom large, but as as a pacifist with anarchist sympathies I see them as symbols of militarism and repression. As often ruined shapes in a landscape, they can have a haunting beauty, and pretend castles such as Castell Coch and Bodiam have a lot of charm, but I would rather visit a small mediaeval church in the middle of nowhere (as I did this very day) than some ponced-up still-occupied monument to privilege and feudalism such as Arundel or Windsor.
The Guardian - I read the Mirror until I was about 40 then switched to the Guardian, largely because of their crosswords (Araucaria a god) and cartoons being better, and it being a longer read. The modern paper/website has a certina namby-pambyism about it, but the fact that the right hates it, and of course that all other national dailies other than the Mirro and Morning Star have long been filthy right-wing rags owned by disgusting scummers that I wouldn't used to wipe my arse (the owners, not the papers), means that it is the only place to go in this country for the sort of news I am interested in
electric toothbrushes - a con on techno-wankers (or indeed ordinary onanists so afflicted with wanker's doom that they can no longer move their hands up and down). Simply pathetic.
the Chinese :? The Chinese what? People? Er, I believe there's a hell of a lot of them, and every one of them carries their own universe around with them. And that's the only thing you can say about them as a whole.
EastEnders - I can't be bothered to defend it now, but for 20 years or so it got open-ended drama absolutely right. Some astonishingly good writing and acting going on - not all the time, obvs, but enough to keep me coming back and getting involved with the characters. The move to three episodes a week started to strain things, and the move to four led to my stopping watching it, as they ramped up the sensationalism and silly plotlines in an attempt to fill two hours a week. Haven't watched it in 15 years, but occasionally dip into it by accident.

you were doing well until the last two

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 09 Aug 2018, 23:31

The Velvet Underground wrote:you were doing well until the last two

Most generous and gracious of you to say so, you part-time wazzock
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 09 Aug 2018, 23:43

I am very keen on castles and Reese's. I've not tried them at the same time, but I reckon it could be peanutty battlementy magic.

I am 1/16th Welsh, which entitles me to eat a LOT of Welsh cakes.

Otherwise, I don't think much about anything.
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 09 Aug 2018, 23:47

Oh! I lied - I have a massive crush on Danny Dyer of EastEnders. My friend's sister works on the show and got him to sign a photo for me recently, as a surprise. He's written on it that he'll love me always and forever. I think about that A LOT.
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings
hounds people off the board
Location: selling a self-detonating James Last CD to a Copenhagen thrift store

Postby Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings » 09 Aug 2018, 23:49

Rayge wrote:
The Velvet Underground wrote:you were doing well until the last two

Most generous and gracious of you to say so, you part-time wazzock

You're more than welcome, you unfragrant heathen

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 09 Aug 2018, 23:56

Dayodead

Postby Dayodead » 10 Aug 2018, 00:13

Samantha Fox- Don't remember much about her...
cider- Never had any, hard or otherwise..
James Dean- Inspired one interesting Suede song and the better Moz haircuts, but otherwise, meh..an ok actor, I guess..
marshmallows- haven't had any in years...
Wales- great folklore
Reese's Peanut Butter Cups- tasty when in the mood for...
pie and mash- Well, Pie is good... :)
sunglasses- seldom without them...Ray-Bans...
Bruce Springsteen- not my cup o tea...
chewing gum- not a fan...
castles- pretty darn awesome...
The Guardian- a terrible Kevin Costner film :)
electric toothbrushes- the only way to go...
the Chinese- heard they were Big Trouble for Jack Burton...
Eastenders- not familiar with this...

LeBaron
Diamond Geezer

Postby LeBaron » 10 Aug 2018, 04:31

Samantha Fox - the record store I eventually got a job in was covered wall to wall with posters and news clippings and promo shit. There were posters on the ceiling, but there were also picture discs hanging from the ceiling. One of the notable picture discs, particularly when I was in my early teens (a decade before I worked there) featured a topless Samantha Fox. A superior picture disc.

cider - I’m in favor of it. It’s kind of a thing in the States all of a sudden because I guess it’s a gluten free way to get drunk. Speaking of getting drunk, I’m up for a snakebite pretty much any time. A lot of the cider here is stupid or too sweet. It’s better in the U.K.

James Dean - I don’t have any feelings about James Dean. Check out this crazy mural on South Congress Ave.!
https://goo.gl/images/ZYG2Ys

marshmallows - I’m all for ‘em. Not the kind of thing we keep around the house, obviously.

Wales - I’m mildly interested in seeing some of Wales. Some friends have a beach place there.

Reese's Peanut Butter Cups - You got some? Hook me up!

pie and mash - I wouldn’t turn it down.

sunglasses - I have sensitive eyes and the sun is always blaring down here so they are always a must. If you get a line on some Persol 009’s, let me know. That asshole T-Berry Shuffle has a pair.

Bruce Springsteen - Not my bag. I might’ve liked to have seen him at some point, but oh well.

chewing gum - I like chewing gum, so long as it’s strong enough to maintain good bubbles. The trouble is that the flavor wears out fast and you keep adding more and more gum and all of a sudden you’re out of gum and the next day your jaws hurt like hell.

castles - I’ve been to Hampton Court Palace and a big fuck off place in Lancashire—Hoghton Tower. Don’t think either is a castle, but they were pretty cool all the same.

The Guardian - I use it from time to time. I sense it’s a bit silly in the internet age.

electric toothbrushes - they’re fucking great. I need to get new heads for mine and start using it again.

the Chinese - Dunno

Eastenders - I live in a Coronation Street Household.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 10 Aug 2018, 04:58

LeBaron wrote:

Reese's Peanut Butter Cups - You got some? Hook me up!

Oh, dude, a Canadian friend brought us a jar of Reese's peanut butter and chocolate spread. Dangerously good.

The Guardian - No need when we have the electric toilet washlet to do the wiping.
“It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.” Mark Twain

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 10 Aug 2018, 09:30

Samantha Fox - I’m glad she’s happier now. When I was 16 it didn’t seem weird that she was in a newspaper showing off her cans. When I reflect back on how that state of affairs continued for so long- topless teenage girls in national daily newspapers- I wonder at the generations that preceded mine :(

cider - Like it better now it’s made of other fruits

James Dean - never been interested

marshmallows - nice, fluffy, toastable, made of boiled bones :(

Wales - pleasant. Hearty sing songs.

Reese's Peanut Butter Cups - puke

pie and mash - I like pies, and I like mash, but don’t mix them.

sunglasses 8-)

Bruce Springsteen - he’s not my Boss

chewing gum - Spain do better flavours- orange, watermelon etc

castles - cool. I’d like one. Northumberland is the place.

The Guardian - I don’t read papers. If I did I’d consider it.

electric toothbrushes - I don’t get on with them, but apparently do a better job then ordinary ones

the Chinese - our local one is ok, but I prefer curries for a takeaway.
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 10 Aug 2018, 09:31

dp
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 10 Aug 2018, 13:52

Samantha Fox - I'd forgotten all about her except for The Brits thing she did with Mick Fleetwood

cider - I love good authentic scrumpy where available. Merrydown cider was my student tipple in days gone by.

James Dean - pretty boy

marshmallows - uck, weird texture and horrid baby pink colour.

Wales - beautiful but it rains a lot. I lived there for a while waitressing and chamber maiding in a mock gothic Victorian hotel - good times.

Reese's Peanut Butter Cups - :?:

pie and mash - traditional London only...

Traditional Pie & Mash is served with a green coloured parsley sauce known as liquor. This sauce dates back 100’s of years to the eel street sellers of London.

sunglasses - I've had the same pair for 20 years, Wayfarers.

Bruce Springsteen - I have time for him.

chewing gum - No.

castles - what's not to like, whatever age or state of maintenance.

The Guardian - I read it

electric toothbrushes - Absolutely Essential for proper healthy cleaning, especially incisors and canines.

the Chinese - My car mechanic Daniel is Chinese, sadly now retired.

Eastenders - I avoid it like the plague. Utterly miserable TV with ridiculous fantastical plots and ludicrous characters.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 10 Aug 2018, 13:54

dp

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 11 Aug 2018, 23:32

Samantha Fox
The whole story is pretty tragic, from why and how she got famous and how she did/didn't deal with it. I do see her as a victim, but if she is happy now, great, I'm happy for her. I am sorry that that world existed where a girl so young could be put through that solely because she had big tits.

cider
Still the summer drink of choice. Fondest memories are of afternoons spent with other teenage wannabe punkers in local parks, with 3-lite bottles of cider and Rothmans full-strength. And probably The Partisans (or the Subs as a default) on the ghetto blaster.

James Dean
Hard to say. He was so young when he died. Massively overrated as an actor, obviously, but good poster fodder. Probably an arsehole.

marshmallows
Plastic sugar, quite a scientific accomplishment. Yuk!

Wales
If it rained less it would be one of my favourite places on earth. If the people could could either bring themselves to like the English, or come up with any plausible reason for hating them apart from a perceived sense of arrogance that always seems to be more real as a displacement of a sense of inferiority, they would be some of my favourite people, too. It is very unfortunate that history has made them hate the English and the English to feel the need to constantly belittle them in retaliation. What a vicious circle. I actually have a disproportionately large number of Welsh friends (all unsolicited I should add) who all absolutely detest the English as a concept, but have lots of friends who are English. They are very conflicted about it: happy and seething at the same time. I think it is because they want to be rivals and yet there is a pervading English attitude of arrogance/superiority that won't grant them that status. The Scots, yes, the Welsh no, and I think that is what needles them most. Cardiff is absolutely the curry capital of Britain for me.

Reese's Peanut Butter Cups
Like all American confectionary it is the stuff of horror movies and The Twilight Zone.

pie and mash
It's all right, but let's be honest – chips are better with a pie and sausages and many other things are better with mash.

sunglasses
Essential.

Bruce Springsteen
Meh. The American Graham Parker as I like to call him.

chewing gum
Necessary evil

castles
Depends on the castle. Some are amazing.

The Guardian
Just rubbish really. Terrible journalistic standards and a paper whose mantra seems to be a self-fulfilling prophecy to purely write shit that affirms to the plummeting number of people who read it that they are 1) right and 2) superior. Lord knows, we need a liberal left-leaning press, but this shambles does more harm than good to every cause it champions.

electric toothbrushes
Tried, gave up.

the Chinese
Woah! That's a 50,000 word topic there. In what sense? Which Chinese? Why?

Eastenders
Last watched it at least 15 years ago. I Imagine it hasn't changed much. I miss Arthur Fowler and that bloke who went proper tonto and was sitting on a roof with tin foil on his head. It's like they decided to make it and some bloke from Eton brings in Ray Davies to tell them what London is really like.
"He's thrown a kettle over a pub; what have you done?"