Camera advice

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Camera advice

Postby Goat Boy » 07 Aug 2018, 21:56

Right, I bought a DSLR camera a few years back - a Canon EOS 600d. The other day I finally got round to purchasing a lens for it - Canon EF-S10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM Lens.

Today I fitted the lens but I can't get autofocus to work at all and I'm losing my shit here.

I don't know if it's just me, something I've missed or the lens or the camera - it's been sitting around unused for a while.

I've followed the basic setting up instructions and the autofocus seems straightforward enough but everything is blurred.

Any ideas?*

*go to a shop.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Re: Camera advice

Postby The Modernist » 07 Aug 2018, 22:30

I'm sure you've been frantically googling for a solution, but in case you haven't come across this thread then it may help ..if not -sorry! Actually it may be worth joining the forum to post your problem.

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Lenses/Autofocus-not-working-18-55mm-lens/td-p/138114

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 07 Aug 2018, 23:11

Anyway I wouldn't worry about it because Diamond Dog says photography is dead.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 08 Aug 2018, 03:20

I've had auto-focus problems on cameras and it seems a common problem judging by the experiences others have had that I've spoken too.

I took one brand new camera back to the store after a couple of days because I could not get it to work at all. I persevered for a while thinking it was just me being dumb but gave up and took it back and the shop checked and replaced it on the spot. The replacement worked perfectly so it was a defect after all.

After two years the auto-focus failed on the replacement and the shop said repair was so expensive I may as well buy the new model which I did but this time with a 3 year warranty in case the auto-focus fails again. After two years it's still ok but I'm betting it fails as soon as my 3 year warranty ends :roll:

Anyway, my gut feeling is that your auto-focus is buggered.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 08 Aug 2018, 10:53

The Modernist wrote:Anyway I wouldn't worry about it because Diamond Dog says photography is dead.

:lol:

Actually he doesn't.

The article he referred to does.

Hope this helps :)
“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 08 Aug 2018, 11:29

It was the lens!

I’ve asked for a refund and will buy one from a shop where I can test it instead.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal