Skyrim like games

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Re: Skyrim like games

Postby The Modernist » 06 Aug 2018, 00:23

PENK wrote:
The Modernist wrote:Someone mentioned one to me where you fly to all these different planets and explore different universes, but I can't remember now what it was called.

Brian Lara Cricket 99 I think

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers everyone for the recommendations.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 06 Aug 2018, 00:25

PENK wrote:
The Modernist wrote:I wouldn't mind getting into gaming, but I don't like all this dragon stuff.. it's too nerdy. What's the best games?

Depends what you're after G. What do you want to do? Shoot things? Explore? Build things? Sports? Cop off with sexy woman elves?

It also depends what you're playing on - PC or do you have a console?.

I have a HiFi.

Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings
hounds people off the board
Location: selling a self-detonating James Last CD to a Copenhagen thrift store

Postby Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings » 06 Aug 2018, 08:30

:lol:

Sooo behind the times!

You can get one of these for just a few quid now, G!

you can even walk as you're playing!
Darkness_Fish wrote:This is a big fucking mess of absolute shit from the off.

algroth

Postby algroth » 06 Aug 2018, 08:37

I would second The Witcher 3 and would also greatly suggest the Pillars of Eternity games which, whilst not open world exactly, are still rather open to exploration and sidequesting and feature a setting that to my mind feels far meatier and more organic than that of the Elder Scrolls games. I have also heard great things about Breath of the Wild as another open-world game with RPG elements, though I haven't played it myself.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 06 Aug 2018, 09:58

Okay - totally different (but kind of related) question :

I like sports sims, particularly american Football and football (and golf actually). But I want to play on my PC - and I'm not into the actual 'dgameplay' much more the management/team building elements? Does that make sense - the strategy as opposed to the gameplay itself.

Any recommendations?!
“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
"Don't be seduced into thinking that which did not make a profit is without value"
"'Seize the moments as they fly, know to live and learn to die'."

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 06 Aug 2018, 10:29

Super Furry Animals wrote::lol:

Sooo behind the times!

You can get one of these for just a few quid now, G!

you can even walk as you're playing!

I'll hold off for a few years John and see if they catch on.

driftin

Postby driftin » 06 Aug 2018, 15:16

My picks because they're either made by Bethesda, have general dark fantasy, medieval or general period settings, are based around melee and projectile combat, have RPG progression systems, are large open world sandboxes or dynamic and systemic games, or any combination of these.

The rest of The Elder Scrolls series
Fallout series, particularly New Vegas
The Legend of Zelda series, especially Breath of the Wild
The Witcher series, especially Wild Hut
Assassin's Creed series, particularly Black Flag and Origins
Kingdom Come: Deliverance
Dragon's Dogma series
Divinity series
Dark Souls series
Far Cry series
Dragon Age series
Mount and Blade
Final Fantasy series
Middle-Earth series

algroth

Postby algroth » 06 Aug 2018, 17:35

The Modernist wrote:I wouldn't mind getting into gaming, but I don't like all this dragon stuff.. it's too nerdy. What's the best games?

Have you tried out Papers, Please, G? In it you play a customs agent in a fictional Soviet country, and the game is essentially played through the everyday routine of checking papers and documents for the people trying to get into the country, and what that eventually leads to. Really good!

The best stuff for me is what you would probably deem "too nerdy" though, but the above should fit the bill at least.

algroth

Postby algroth » 06 Aug 2018, 18:00

:lol:

The idea may seem like a joke but the game is genuinely quite fun and interesting. Don't sneer at it till you play it! :)

Going back to other "Skyrim-like games", the big daddy of RPGs of course is the much older Baldur's Gate II, and it alongside the rest of the Infinity Engine games like Planescape: Torment and Icewind Dale (though I would say the latter example is much more linear as an experience, yet still very enjoyable) are absolute musts. More recently both Tides of Numenera and Tyranny have also been very interesting and enjoyable in this sense though also generally shorter and more contained games. Still some great work on choice and consequence on both. All of these examples are worth checking out really, if just for their sheer world-building, immersive value and narrative prowess.

Also amidst upcoming games Pathfinder: Kingmaker seems to be shaping up to be a cool traditional fantasy RPG, and more interesting is Disco Elysium, formerly known as No Truce with the Furies, which is something of an open-world isometric RPG with a low fantasy noir setting.

Also should mention the Knights of the Old Republic games as they are arguably some of the best works within the entirety of the Star Wars franchise, films included.

Couple of videos:

Last edited by algroth on 06 Aug 2018, 18:52, edited 3 times in total.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 06 Aug 2018, 18:38

How video games helped me come to terms with male pattern baldness

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... dark-souls
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...yet it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce, didn't it?

algroth

Postby algroth » 06 Aug 2018, 18:42

Pansy Puff wrote:Since I have hardly any time to play (it took me over a year of Friday nights to complete Arkham Asylum) I don't need a million games so thanks to all I have a plan
1- Finish Skyrim - I have all the DLC so have Dragonborn and loads of other quests open.
2- Retry No Man's Sky - I've recently updated to Next so I'm looking forward to exploring the universe
3- Fallout 4 - Definitely sounds like my kind of thing
4- Fallout 76 - by the time I'm ready for this all the DLC will be cheap or free
5- Elder Scrolls 6- And after all this I'll be in time for the next release.

Fair warning about Fallout 4... Despite it being the latest game in the saga, it is usually seen as the clear worst as well. Fallout 76 is also not yet out and while it does look pretty good, it will be an MMO (massive multiplayer online), and that can usually lead to its whole lot of headaches as well. I would still say that at this point your safest bets are either New Vegas or The Witcher 3 if you want to delve strictly into open-world RPGs, and maybe Red Dead Redemption though to my understanding that's not an RPG as such (haven't played it myself though so I don't rightly know - it is usually perceived as one of the undisputed best games of its console generation though). All the same, hope you enjoy whichever you ultimately go with! :)

algroth

Postby algroth » 06 Aug 2018, 19:25

Also, for the fun of it, I made a top 100 games poll on a videogame forum some time last year/early this year, and here's the results:

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/95421 ... l-results/

It should be mentioned that the forum is definitely NOT impartial, being itself a community dedicated to a particular brand which also specializes in a specific genre and platform. But, it could be interesting all the same. :D