Skyrim like games

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Pansy Puff

Skyrim like games

Postby Pansy Puff » 31 Jul 2018, 11:43

Gamers,

I'm hooked on Skyrim, bloody love it. I don't think I'm anywhere near completing it, but I love the fact that I can turn off the quests anyway and just wander around, maybe chop some wood at a mill instead of setting fire to the undead.
I guess at some point I'll have had enough and I want to know what to move onto next.

The blogosphere suggests Watcher 3, and that's been mentioned on here too. Any other suggestions?

Like I hinted, I like the open world feel, the plethora of quests, but or small, and the ability to turn them off to just explore.

Of course, Elder Scrolls 6 is on its way...
The Happy Mondays were disqualified from a special edition of the BBC’s Bargain Hunt after Bez broke the show’s rules by artificially inflating prices, handing victory to Pulp.

wannabee enfant terrible
wannabee enfant terrible

Re: Skyrim like games

Postby wannabee enfant terrible » 31 Jul 2018, 12:22

Does your avatar have hair?
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Kal ‘Roger Cock’ Hodgson wrote:I have just discovered that the fake Markus account was not John...I would like to apologise for suggesting it was him.

wannabee enfant terrible
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby wannabee enfant terrible » 31 Jul 2018, 12:29

... a chainmail waistcoat?

Kal ‘Roger Cock’ Hodgson wrote:I have just discovered that the fake Markus account was not John...I would like to apologise for suggesting it was him.

wannabee enfant terrible
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby wannabee enfant terrible » 31 Jul 2018, 12:40

... a short, fat, ignorant sidekick that you’ll do anything to impress?

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 31 Jul 2018, 14:55

Fallout New Vegas.
I run out of talent

Pansy Puff

Postby Pansy Puff » 31 Jul 2018, 15:52

WG Kaspar wrote:Fallout New Vegas.

Cheers. That's the one in a post apocalyptic world, isn't it?
The Happy Mondays were disqualified from a special edition of the BBC’s Bargain Hunt after Bez broke the show’s rules by artificially inflating prices, handing victory to Pulp.

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 31 Jul 2018, 19:50

Pansy Puff wrote:
WG Kaspar wrote:Fallout New Vegas.

Cheers. That's the one in a post apocalyptic world, isn't it?

Same company different studio but similar feel. Great script, a bit more meaningful as well.
I run out of talent

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 31 Jul 2018, 20:54

There is an online one Elder Scrolls Online, but I found it not much cop. The story is not immersive when there are hundreds of other people running around doing tje same thing, and you spend most of your time grinding through gazillions of blandly respawning enemies in order to work your way through and improve your abilities and gear.

The Witcher 3 is similar to Skyrim but bigger and yet tighter, with stronger emphasis on plot and character and a world that feels more real and alive, though less fantastical. It’s grittier and wittier and you’re really a part of the world and need to consider the consequences of your actions and words a lot more.
Copehead wrote:I have met Gruff Rhys - although he claimed he wasn't and that he couldn't speak Welsh, as I spoke to him in Welsh, but it was him lying bastard.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 02 Aug 2018, 23:05

Pansy Puff wrote:Gamers,

I'm hooked on Skyrim, bloody love it. I don't think I'm anywhere near completing it, but I love the fact that I can turn off the quests anyway and just wander around, maybe chop some wood at a mill instead of setting fire to the undead.
I guess at some point I'll have had enough and I want to know what to move onto next.

The blogosphere suggests Watcher 3, and that's been mentioned on here too. Any other suggestions?

Like I hinted, I like the open world feel, the plethora of quests, but or small, and the ability to turn them off to just explore.

Of course, Elder Scrolls 6 is on its way...

I love Skyrim, I have played it through completely about 5-6 times now as I just enjoy being in that world so much.

Witcher 3 would be an obvious next choice the big difference is it is a linear "story" game not a "sandbox" game where you make your own story.

In Witcher 3 you follow one plot line rather than multiple threads, you are a character that isn't that customizable in look or action, there are loads of side missions to do like Skyrim but the whole feeling is much more about being in a story. That said I have just finished Witcher 3 and it is absolutely great.

The closest in style to Skyrim, unsurprisingly as it is a Bethesda game, is Fallout 4, the setting is entirely different, post nuclear apocalypse Boston, but the feeling of being in a world rather than in a story is the same.

I would definitely try Fallout 4 if was you, I loved it nearly as much as Skyrim.

I see someone has mentioned Fall New Vegas, that is supposed to be excellent but you will be going back a generation in terms of graphics etc as it was an add on to Fallout 3. I never got on with Fallout 3 as I found sandbox games a bit weird then having been used to stuff like Neverwinter Nights.
Nazi Punks, Nazi Punks, Nazi Punks, Fuck Off

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 04 Aug 2018, 01:52

Two other games that spring to mind are:

Dragon's Dogma - this is an open world game with a single story line, it is pretty flawed but has one redeeming feature; the flaws are that the world is boring, underpopulated with NPCs the story is one dimensional and linear and worst of all the same monsters spawn at the same position every time you kill them so you end up going " Turn left at the Manticore, up the hill past the giant, then right at the griffin. So you have to kill the same monsters every time you walk the same bit of track and this quickly becomes very tedious as the fast travel mechanism is kept deliberately difficult to use to make sure you walk the land.

It also undermines the best bit about the game which is the combat, this is superb and very imaginative, when you become a mage archer you can rain down fire arrows on your foes like calling in air strikes.

The travelling characters are of two types a single NPC who you would be advised to just make a Tank as they will defend you as you do more imaginative things in combat that hitting something with a big hammer; then there are pawns, they are automata characters that you bring down from another realm but which are created by fellow players and so come in an almost endless variety of types. But you don't care about them and swap them out every time you level up so that is pretty unsatisfying.

Played it twice just as it was so unsatisfying the first time I never bothered finishing it because I hadn't developed my character in the best way and couldn't change it now.

Dragon Age Inquisition
I have enjoyed all the Dragon Age stuff and this was the best. The character is quite customizable with a few character types and then higher hybrid characters, so if you have ever wanted to be a Lesbian Battle mage who gets off, in graphic detail, with a fucked up Elf lady, and let's face it who hasn't, this is the game for you.

The world set up is a bit like Witcher with a number of large areas rather than one huge area but that works fine. the story is rich, the boss Dragons are a real challenge, you are encouraged to make decisions which alter how people feel about you.

Draw backs are that the crafting seems like a real faff and difficult to make good weapons and armour so you give up on it, the Thief/ranged attack character type is boring with too much emphasis on traps and not enough on bows if you like playing that sort of character but the world is rich and the NPCs interesting and with lives of their own.

I played it through about 3 times as it was worth it to tease out more from it.

I'd definitely give DA Inquisition a go.

Pansy Puff

Postby Pansy Puff » 04 Aug 2018, 08:27

Cheers, Copehead. I'm definitely going to give Fallout 4 a go once I've finished Skyrim. I see there's a new Fallout (76) out soon too.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 04 Aug 2018, 15:34

Skyrim sounds like a term for miming the licking of an asshole.
Some say the glass is half-empty others half-full. I say. "Lemme see that glass!"

wannabee enfant terrible
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby wannabee enfant terrible » 04 Aug 2018, 16:12

Kal’s an expert at that :lol:

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 04 Aug 2018, 17:45

I wouldn't mind getting into gaming, but I don't like all this dragon stuff.. it's too nerdy. What's the best games?

wannabee enfant terrible
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby wannabee enfant terrible » 04 Aug 2018, 17:48

Samantha Fox Strip P*ker

Pansy Puff

Postby Pansy Puff » 04 Aug 2018, 18:34

The Modernist wrote:I wouldn't mind getting into gaming, but I don't like all this dragon stuff.. it's too nerdy. What's the best games?

I thought the same, but it's quite cinematic. I don't mind the back story - like a Nordic myth.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 05 Aug 2018, 00:36

The Modernist wrote:I wouldn't mind getting into gaming, but I don't like all this dragon stuff.. it's too nerdy. What's the best games?

Fallout 4 then set is a post nuclear war Boston where various factions are fighting for control of the emerging society.

Of course we are talking about RPGs - role playing games - there are loads of other sorts of games there is a thread about it somewhere

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 05 Aug 2018, 13:01

Football Manager. But prepare to say goodbye to your life if you do

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 05 Aug 2018, 13:58

Toby wrote:

Football Manager. But prepare to say goodbye to your life if you do

Ha Ha - I've purposefully avoided it for that very reason.

The last game I played was about 3 years ago and it was the revamped Tomb Raider. It's the only one I've ever finished, really excellent and no dragons!

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 05 Aug 2018, 14:00

Someone mentioned one to me where you fly to all these different planets and explore different universes, but I can't remember now what it was called.