Stewart Lee

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
SUMPTUOUS SI
hounds people off the board

Stewart Lee

Postby SUMPTUOUS SI » 29 Jul 2018, 19:58

Good last night, wasn't he?
Dimbo wrote:The media are run by the CIA. They write what they tell them to write.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Re: Stewart Lee

Postby Diamond Dog » 29 Jul 2018, 20:12

Did he have a night off?
1-800-288-8372

wannabee enfant terrible
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby wannabee enfant terrible » 29 Jul 2018, 20:25

I’ve not read what Kalowski’s chums are saying about it on CaB yet, let me check and get back to you.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Kal ‘Roger Cock’ Hodgson wrote:I have just discovered that the fake Markus account was not John...I would like to apologise for suggesting it was him.

The Prof
Composing a revolutionary symphony

Postby The Prof » 29 Jul 2018, 21:08

It tailed off a bit when his trousers fell down but caught back up at the end.

Purgatory Brite

Postby Purgatory Brite » 29 Jul 2018, 21:32

Quite a coup to getting Alan Moore to be the interviewer on the show.

wannabee enfant terrible
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby wannabee enfant terrible » 29 Jul 2018, 21:47

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Kal ‘Roger Cock’ Hodgson wrote:I have just discovered that the fake Markus account was not John...I would like to apologise for suggesting it was him.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 29 Jul 2018, 22:52

Captain Beefheart and his Magic Band wrote:Good last night, wasn't he?

As usual I found him brilliant and exasperating in equal measure. Parts of what I saw were great, but he does tire me out with his repetition and I didn't last till the end of the programme ( and I do get bored of the constant self-reflexivity). I'm beginning to think he's a kind of genius though, really original.

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 31 Jul 2018, 15:04

the gorton gollum wrote:I’ve not read what Kalowski’s chums are saying about it on CaB yet, let me check and get back to you.

You could always try thinking for yourself.
Goatboy to Belle:

"I suggest you retreat to the safety of your Facebook bubble. Griff has a post he needs you to like."

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 02 Aug 2018, 10:01

Going to try and watch it now at work. I'm impressed by his T-shirt, at least.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 02 Aug 2018, 13:48

I thought it was really quite poor, to be honest. A few good lines, but never 2 hours of material there, he's spending more time commenting on the structure of his jokes and on his stature as a comedian (ironically or not), than actually coming up with anything insightful or actually funny. His cheap impersonations of other comedians are a bit Ricky Gervais too, getting a cheap laugh but pretending to do it with a higher aim.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 02 Aug 2018, 18:55

Here's a page of Stewart Lee 'jokes' http://funnycomedianquotes.com/funny-st ... uotes.html

Here's an example of just two, at random :

I remember when the last Harry Potter title came out, I think it was Harry Potter and the Crock of Shit. Or Harry Potter and the Mitten of Wool? Remember that?

Australians are very proud of being from Australia. It's an interesting country, Australia. In Australia it's illegal not to vote. Australia has a compulsory democracy. Bizarrely, it's compulsory to vote in a country where the citizens are, to be fair, perhaps least equipped to make choices. It's not their fault. Australian life has not prepared the Australian for complex choices, cos every Australian day is like a sort of decision tree of simple binary choices. Sleep or wake? Shorts or swimming trunks? Beach or park? Smoothie or heroin? Hepatitis or skin cancer? Up at the end of a sentence... Or down.

You can probably understand why I find the phrase "Stewart Lee is a great comedian" somewhat overlong, as you could easily lose the 'great' and it would still be an entirely false statement.
1-800-288-8372

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 02 Aug 2018, 18:58

Or maybe I'm doing him a disservice - here's another couple :

All the proper bands from then, when we were kids, yeah? The Rubettes and Mud and Chicory Tip. Yeah. Not like the bands they have now, stupid, modern bands all made out of wire and electricity. The proper old bands. You'd buy the singles, wouldn't you? The old singles they used to have in the old days. The proper ones. Very nostalgic feelings towards Woolworths. The pick 'n' mix. Remember the pick 'n' mix in Woolworths? All the sweets individually wrapped. Proper, old-fashioned sweets, yeah? Not like the sweets they have now, all with knives in them and AIDS

(On Top Gear’s Richard Hammond.) I wish he had died in that crash and that he had been decapitated and that a jagged piece of metal debris from the car had blinded him.

F-U-N-N-Y.
1-800-288-8372

Pansy Puff

Postby Pansy Puff » 02 Aug 2018, 19:16

Diamond Dog wrote:Or maybe I'm doing him a disservice - here's another couple :

All the proper bands from then, when we were kids, yeah? The Rubettes and Mud and Chicory Tip. Yeah. Not like the bands they have now, stupid, modern bands all made out of wire and electricity. The proper old bands. You'd buy the singles, wouldn't you? The old singles they used to have in the old days. The proper ones. Very nostalgic feelings towards Woolworths. The pick 'n' mix. Remember the pick 'n' mix in Woolworths? All the sweets individually wrapped. Proper, old-fashioned sweets, yeah? Not like the sweets they have now, all with knives in them and AIDS

(On Top Gear’s Richard Hammond.) I wish he had died in that crash and that he had been decapitated and that a jagged piece of metal debris from the car had blinded him.

F-U-N-N-Y.

These are both great routines. The Top Gear routine is especially brilliant. What you've done is pulled out lines without context.
The Happy Mondays were disqualified from a special edition of the BBC’s Bargain Hunt after Bez broke the show’s rules by artificially inflating prices, handing victory to Pulp.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 02 Aug 2018, 19:20

I've seen his 'context'. It doesn't make it funnier.
1-800-288-8372

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 02 Aug 2018, 19:35

You could quote pretty much any comedian with their material in black and white on the screen and they would fail to raise a smile in that context (i suppose there are a few 'gag' men that might cause a chuckle or two - Tim Vine, Stuart Frances etc - but even they lose much of their impact if the performance aspect is lacking) and much pf Lee's appeal comes from how the routines are constructed.

You don't like Stuart Lee, that's OK, he's not for everyone but whatever your opinion, he is an undeniably great comedian. Probably the best there is this side of the pond currently.

I watched and enjoyed the Content Provider show.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 02 Aug 2018, 19:42

Deebank wrote:You don't like Stuart Lee, that's OK, he's not for everyone but whatever your opinion, he is an undeniably great comedian

I like the way you've decided that all for and by yourself.

Go you!
1-800-288-8372

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 02 Aug 2018, 19:52

Diamond Dog wrote:
Deebank wrote:You don't like Stuart Lee, that's OK, he's not for everyone but whatever your opinion, he is an undeniably great comedian

I like the way you've decided that all for and by yourself.

Go you!

No I was basing the statement that you don’t like his act on your comments above and that he is an undeniably great comedian on the tonnes of awards he’s won.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 02 Aug 2018, 20:00

Awards? What like The Brit Awards for music? Or TV's 'Best Soap' Awards? That kind of 'merit'?

As I said, go you! It's undeniable!
1-800-288-8372

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 02 Aug 2018, 20:21

Undeniable.

Give yourself 9 minutes and pull up a chair.
1-800-288-8372

Pansy Puff

Postby Pansy Puff » 02 Aug 2018, 20:45

Diamond Dog wrote:Undeniable.

Give yourself 9 minutes and pull up a chair.

Brilliant. :D
The Happy Mondays were disqualified from a special edition of the BBC’s Bargain Hunt after Bez broke the show’s rules by artificially inflating prices, handing victory to Pulp.